Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Model Year 2019

Views : 38103

Replies : 232

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:00   #71
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
I think so... ....

Try and find a vehicle with it on and take it for a drive, that'll make your mind up.
I have test driven a couple of XC60s very recently and unfortunately none of them had it on. What is bizarre is none of the dealers I went to had any other car/model with HUD. That made me think twice....is the HUD system not that useful that none of the cars in any of the showrooms had it on!!!

Thanks Marc for your honest opinion though.
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:30   #72
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Thanks Marc. This is exactly what I have been thinking of doing. I have fixed my mind on XC60 D5 Auto Inscription Pro and VOC come as a standard, which will allow to do things exactly as you have mentioned in your reply, thus negating the need to have heated windscreen that comes as a standard. However, HUD doesn’t come as standard on MY18.5 and costs an additional £750 on the above trim. I have set out mysef on a mission to find out if HUD is an option worth paying extra for and in the process sacrificing heated windscreen which comes as a standard!!!
I am looking at my next (3rd) XC60 being as per above, but going for the T5 powertrain unless Volvo UK firm up their current thinking and release the T6 for MY19.5 in 6 months time.
Have you tested the T5 yet........unless you do high mileages which errs towards a D5, I think you will be very surprised.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 13:21   #73
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
I have test driven a couple of XC60s very recently and unfortunately none of them had it on. What is bizarre is none of the dealers I went to had any other car/model with HUD. That made me think twice....is the HUD system not that useful that none of the cars in any of the showrooms had it on!!!

Thanks Marc for your honest opinion though.
I have an Audi with HUD and I cant say I really get that much from it, but that maybe because I have driven 5000 miles with HUD and about 750k without... I also only drive the Audi at weekends and my daily station jalopy doesnt have HUD....

Over on the bmw and audi forums, most swear by HUD...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 13:36   #74
nu11eaf
Premier Member

If I could have had both heated screen and HUD I would have (I expect most people would) but I opted for the heated screen as it is an "extra" real benefit to me, whereas the HUD is only giving you an eye up view of things you already have so nothing extra just maybe a convenience.
Saying that I have had a lone car with HUD and I never took much notice of it or thought it was a must have option, so glad I opted for the heated screen which is of much more use to me.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 14:25   #75
SpaceBoy42

Yesterday evening I came out into the car park to return home from work and was met by an amazing site. A sea of staff scrapping madly at their cars trying to get the thick snow and ice off their windows. I waltzed up, got in my T8 and drove off. The preheating with the heated screen had completely cleaned the car windows, including the layer of snow on the front window. Lovely and warm inside too (Aux heater).
The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceBoy42 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 14:40   #76
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
I am looking at my next (3rd) XC60 being as per above, but going for the T5 powertrain unless Volvo UK firm up their current thinking and release the T6 for MY19.5 in 6 months time.
Have you tested the T5 yet........unless you do high mileages which errs towards a D5, I think you will be very surprised.
No, I haven’t tested the T5; for some reason I always leaned towards the diesels i.e. either D4 or D5. I expect my mileage to be around 8k per annum; one thing I know for certain is D5 costs in the region of £3500 more than a T5 but fuel economy-wise diesels are better. However, I am not sure if I will be doing enough miles to reap that fuel economy benefit!!
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 15:38   #77
Lexman8
Premier Member

I've had a heated front screen for 18 months now and probably used it 4 or 5 times. However, I have the aux heater for preconditioning and that somewhat negates the need for a heated screen. I also put the car in the garage at night.

Basically, it comes down to your personal use case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 17:17   #78
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
No, I haven’t tested the T5; for some reason I always leaned towards the diesels i.e. either D4 or D5. I expect my mileage to be around 8k per annum; one thing I know for certain is D5 costs in the region of £3500 more than a T5 but fuel economy-wise diesels are better. However, I am not sure if I will be doing enough miles to reap that fuel economy benefit!!
For your very low mileage of only 8,000/annum, you will find a T5 to be much cheaper to run especially with a saving of the higher base cost of £3,500 over say 5 years = £700/annum savings.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 17:29   #79
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
For your very low mileage of only 8,000/annum, you will find a T5 to be much cheaper to run especially with a saving of the higher base cost of £3,500 over say 5 years = £700/annum savings.
Not to mention service costs, which at least here in Germany, are cheaper for the T5 compared to the D5

As a side note, diesel sales here in 2016 was 48% (petrol just over 50%) and in 2017 this dropped to 37%!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 18:03   #80
Waggatron

I've had heated screens on both my last two XC60's and various Fords before that. No denying it, they are really useful when you need them. But...to be honest, I've probably used it a dozen times per year over the last 8 years. I'm impatient...so even though it's on I can't sit still so usually get out and scrape anyway. Where I find it most useful is if you have been out in the rain and have a damp family in the car. Helps shift the condensation on the inside of the screen very easily (no smearing with one of those horrible yellow spongy things).

The new model XC60 I tested a couple of weeks back had the HUD fitted. First time I had experienced one and was quite impressed (although that might have been the novelty value!).

I've decided on going for the HUD on my next one and not having the heated screen. My basic thinking is the HUD might be useful on every trip (especially for sat nav directions) rather than a few winter months (although ironically, I've used it extensively today as the Beast from the East unleashed armageddon across the North West!!).

My other bit of thinking is to use the VOC app to preheat the car for 5 mins before I want to drive (as Marc Tilling suggested in an earlier post).
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post: