Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 51440

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2020, 17:21   #381
Dippydog
Premier Member

It's been 25yrs since I had a car with anything as small as a 2L engine in it,but I'd say that 23.9mpg in a 2L auto with such bodywork as yours has and at those sorts of speeds is pretty good going.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 17:49   #382
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Like Mr Dog above says, 24mpg (or as good as) is pretty good from a n/asp 2.0 in that bodyshell. It was on a run though so likely to be less locally but it sounds as if it's a vast improvement on what you were getting.

Once you get the 2.5 fitted and running, it's likely to be closer to that figure most of the time because the engine won't have to work so hard just to move the immense bulk of the hearse. The exhaust repairs/improvements will have helped too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 13:17   #383
TomSaintJames

No developments on the penta front i'm afraid, it's still in the back of the hearse! I did buy an engine stand, hopefully I can bolt the engine to said stand from the back of the car and wheel it into storage. Whilst we managed to heft the engine into the hearse (3 of us, the seller was a big chap so probably gave most of the heft!) it will be a lot easier and safer with it on wheels.

In other news, I very unfortunately spotted something on ebay last night. I really shouldn't be allowed...

Morbidmobile, meet your little brother! I've always fancied a limousine, not sure why or even what for. But, I want one - and to have a matching pair of limo and hearse appeals, for a reason I can't quite pin down - it just feels right. It's a 2.3 manual (good), converted from auto (less good, but maybe better MPG) and has had a ton of work done for a UK to Poland pinball rally. I wouldn't want/need the trailer.

The stickers and green painted stuff would have to go (unless that also is stickers), and to preserve the family resemblance it would have to be painted matt black and have 17" steel wheels applied, just like its bigger brother. I'd put it back to 6 seats (seller removed the middle bench) and have a go at fabricating some luxury interior options like a bar, possible TV, fridge for front and rear passengers, heating and audio controls etc. Could be very fun and ideal for those situations where 4/5 seats (or 2 in the hearse!) aren't enough.

I need another project like a hole in my head, especially just now when I am studying for exams in May. But if it stays at a reasonable price, I may just bid for it. Lord knows where i'd put it...
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 14:09   #384
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You know you want it Tom! Go for it! I might be intersted in the trailer at a sensible price too - big might though!

Suggestion for getting the engine out of the hearse as engine stands aren't that stable when you wheel them with an engine on!

Make sure the engine is well strapped to the pallet, get 2 or 3 scaffold boards, line them up side by side at the rear of the hearse to form a ramp and literally slide the engine down it, preferably with someone slowing its progress by means of a rope tied to the pallet and just let it go down slowly.

You could also elevate the "down" end of the boards with a jack then lower it once the pallet was nearer the jack end then lift the front end of the boards off the hears and support them while driving the hearse away.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 19:14   #385
TomSaintJames

Good advice re the engine and slide boards, will see what I can manage at the weekend. It's been a tough week already, but the weekend is looking better so I might even have a spare hour for Penta tinkerage.

Really, really want that Limousine. However we are on severe financial austerity until August (but bought the Hearse a Penta anyway), and the fact that I have nowhere to store it means I'll probably have to leave it...

It very much depends on how much it goes for, i've been chatting with the seller and he would accept £1700 for it without the trailer, which given the work performed and rarity I don't think unreasonable - just too much for me to spend at the moment!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 19:28   #386
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Good advice re the engine and slide boards, will see what I can manage at the weekend. It's been a tough week already, but the weekend is looking better so I might even have a spare hour for Penta tinkerage.

Really, really want that Limousine. However we are on severe financial austerity until August (but bought the Hearse a Penta anyway), and the fact that I have nowhere to store it means I'll probably have to leave it...

It very much depends on how much it goes for, i've been chatting with the seller and he would accept £1700 for it without the trailer, which given the work performed and rarity I don't think unreasonable - just too much for me to spend at the moment!
I'm sure you'll find a way to afford it and store it if you really want it that much and the number plates are so similar they must surely have come from the same fleet originally - August isn't far away now, 5 months ish. I don't want to pry into your financial affairs but would you be able to get a loan with a deferred first payment until august or something along those lines?

If you do manage to get it, i'd honestly recommend not putting banded 17" wheels on it, the ride is really nice on normal 15" wheels with sensible (aka cheap) 195/65/15 tyres - someone on the 200 forum just had a set of four new 195/65/15 tyres fitted for about £150 which gives you an idea.

Mark as in Griston64 is selling a set of 4 15" alloys with tyres for £50 at the moment, even with carriage they're probably cheaper than buying a new pair of 17" tyres for your hearse.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304088

Have a think about them and the cost of 17" tyres, you said you would need one on the hearse soon!

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 14:14   #387
TomSaintJames

Thanks for your advice Dave, we'll see what happens with the auction.

It's a bit wet isn't it!

2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 14:31   #388
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's raining cats and dogs there, the hearse is parked in a poodle!

I suppose it's better than raining Datsun cogs, that could be painful!

Good luck with the auction, let us know how it goes! :thumbs _up:

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 03:27   #389
aardvarkash10
Master Member

aaah yes, the perfect accompaniment to a large unwieldy coach-built one-off special when you are on a tight budget and have no available workshop and storage facilities?

A second large unwieldy coach-built one-off special!

I would apply the First Rule of Holes here, but, hey, I'm 16,000km away from temptation.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 07:38   #390
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
aaah yes, the perfect accompaniment to a large unwieldy coach-built one-off special when you are on a tight budget and have no available workshop and storage facilities?

A second large unwieldy coach-built one-off special!

I would apply the First Rule of Holes here, but, hey, I'm 16,000km away from temptation.
Indeed! It is looking increasingly like I will abstain, im over the initial excitement, the price is going up and progress on the Hearse will suffer if I do go for it.

BUT...
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE