Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Legality of LED bulbs in old halogen style headlamps

Views : 1178

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 15:10   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile Legality of LED bulbs in old halogen style headlamps

I am confused. I thought it was legal for me to have LEDs in my old halogen units in my 1997 940 especially as my MOT fitter himself fitted my LEDS and passes my vehicle with them in every year. I thought there were certain criteria I fulfilled including self levelling suspension?

Under the new changes to the MOT law it looks as if they have never been legal?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mp-conversions

Or am I confusing the parts I have fitted into the halogen units are not just bulbs, they are some sort of converters?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 16:17   #2
Ripmax

You can't fit a HID(xenon) or LED bulb into a reflector housing that was designed for halogen as far as I know. The beam pattern wouldn't be correct.

Your MOT guy is probably only passing them because he fit them.
2001 Audi A6 C5 Sport Avant 1.9 TDi - 173k
Ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ripmax For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 16:21   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

Not 100% sure but have a vague recollection that if you have self levelling suspension it might have been ok. I think thats for fitting brighter bulbs. You have to have self leveling suspension or adjustable lights from the inside. 940s come with self leveling suspension, although most people get rid of it because its too expensive to replace when the shocks wear out.

Generally though I think its illegal to fit bulbs not approved to meet the standard (E standard) the headlight unit was designed for.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 19:26   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Oh dear, yes the law has recently changed. I cannot see very well at night with halogen bulbs, the LEDs in my car turned my car lighting around, don't know what I will do now, perhaps I need to get another car.

The MOT test was amended when the UK left the European Union on 1 January 2021.

What the law used to say

Previously, the MOT tester would check that the car fitted with LED bulbs had a self-levelling or headlight cleaning system. If these systems weren’t working, the car would fail. If the car didn’t have these systems, it would pass. There was no other mention of aftermarket bulbs so as long as the beam was the right pattern and the correct colour, the car wouldn’t fail on its headlights.erhaps time for another car.

https://www.askthecarexpert.com/repl...ith-led-bulbs/

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 19:31   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

Cars pre 1 April 1986 may not automatically fail. All post 1986 will fail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mp-conversions

Last edited by Laney760; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 19:49.
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 20:10   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The law is a real pain on this, especially as it's just changed again. If you bought the bulbs i suggested, they would have given the correct beam pattern and been designed as replacement bulbs as direct replacements for the H4 bulbs - there's a subtle difference as many LED bulbs are simply a light source. Sadly the govt and/or VoSA hasn't caught on to the fact there are LED bulbs designed as direct replacements which won't give beam problems.

This has given me a problem as well but i have decided that the simple way round it is to fit H4 bulbs for the test then swap back to the LED bulbs after.

I have the same problem as you, with H4 bulbs in i can barely see the road as the standard headlights are pretty poor. Considering it's a safety aspect, what the govt should really do is go simply on whether it gives the right beam pattern or not (mine struggle to give the correct beam pattern with H4s as well! ) rather than what the actual light source is. This would immediately get rid of the wrong kind of LED bulbs.

I would suggest you have a "discrete word" with your tester and see what can be done, even if it's the same idea as mine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 20:36   #7
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The law is a real pain on this, especially as it's just changed again. If you bought the bulbs i suggested, they would have given the correct beam pattern and been designed as replacement bulbs as direct replacements for the H4 bulbs - there's a subtle difference as many LED bulbs are simply a light source. Sadly the govt and/or VoSA hasn't caught on to the fact there are LED bulbs designed as direct replacements which won't give beam problems.

This has given me a problem as well but i have decided that the simple way round it is to fit H4 bulbs for the test then swap back to the LED bulbs after.

I have the same problem as you, with H4 bulbs in i can barely see the road as the standard headlights are pretty poor. Considering it's a safety aspect, what the govt should really do is go simply on whether it gives the right beam pattern or not (mine struggle to give the correct beam pattern with H4s as well! ) rather than what the actual light source is. This would immediately get rid of the wrong kind of LED bulbs.

I would suggest you have a "discrete word" with your tester and see what can be done, even if it's the same idea as mine.
I'm pretty sure I did get the bulbs you suggested? The problem I have is that mine are on all the time in the day, as in day running lights, which makes them stand out to plod and the general concensus on this forum is that this is normal and my MOT tester said it's fine but a forum member said theres a button in the footwell somewhere which turns off the day running function of the lights.

Dave, these are my ones, I'm sure it was you recommended them?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-LED-He...-/274615000705

Last edited by Laney760; Mar 23rd, 2021 at 20:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 20:40   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I'm pretty sure I did get the bulbs you suggested? The problem I have is that mine are on all the time in the day, as in day running lights, which makes them stand out to plod and the general concensus on this forum is that this is normal and my MOT tester said it's fine but a forum member said theres a button in the footwell somewhere which turns off the day running function of the lights.

Dave, these are my ones, I'm sure it was you recommended them?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-LED-He...-/274615000705
I've broke five 940s and a 760 for parts... there is no button for turning off the DRL function.

I don't think the police will have any interest in pulling you over for having LED sidelights on during the day considering how much they have to deal with and have bigger fish to fry
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 20:44   #9
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've broke five 940s and a 760 for parts... there is no button for turning off the DRL function.

I don't think the police will have any interest in pulling you over for having LED sidelights on during the day considering how much they have to deal with and have bigger fish to fry
Its the headlights that are on all the time, not the sidelights?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 21:17   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Its the headlights that are on all the time, not the sidelights?
They aren't full headlights they are sidelights, when you put the headlights on the dipped beam comes on.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: