Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 XC70 Cost of DIFFERENTIAL ELECTRONIC MODULE Replacement

Views : 1466

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2017, 20:30   #1
SYS

Default 2005 XC70 Cost of DIFFERENTIAL ELECTRONIC MODULE Replacement

Recently, a warning message came on, "Anti-Skid Service Required" on my 2005 XC70. When I took it to my local dealer shop, the diagnostic result stated that its DEM failed internally and needed replacing. The shop needed it ordered and I needed to pay in advance in the amount of $2559.31 just for the part. I was surprised that a new DEM cost this much and would like your verification that it does indeed cost this much.
SYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 20:41   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Hi.

As this is a UK based forum asking for a US price may not get you many relevant answers. might I suggest http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/ which seems to have more users from your side of the pond.

Hope I have not broken any forum rules.

I from my own experience of replacing a DEM on my XC70 Volvo prices for new replacement was in £1000+ range, got mine as a refurbishment from an independent supplier for much less.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 21:54   #3
bugeye

I have read a failed DEM may be caused by a failed Haldex pump. Look up XeMODeX as they refurbish some Volvo electronic components and may have a list of things to check. The DEM is easy to access under the car. XeMODeX refurbished the central electronics module, CEM, on our 2004 XC70. Well pleased.
bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 17:05   #4
oragex
Premier Member

The shop is too expensive, why not calling a few Volvo dealers and ask them for a quote. Side note, replacing it is a 15 min job if I'm not wrong. But as mentioned, don't expect anything below $1500 US for parts only. Xemodex has a page about the DEM corrosion, depending how advanced it it may or not be repaired.

DEM is caused by poor sealing leading to corrosion of the circuit board, wide spread problem in countries with salt on roads.

BUT... be aware of places replacing parts without having a clue - a wide spread issue on these cars when they show warning messages. You may definitely want to be patient, search the forums and read as much information possible. Anti skid can well be caused by a simple broken reluctor ring.

Last edited by oragex; Jun 11th, 2017 at 17:15.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 20:50   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Double check the axle bolts on the front driveshafts just inside the wheel centre caps. Loose bolt will also trigger the message you're getting. Are you able test the AWD is working, perhaps on some wet grass for example?
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 18:21   #6
ewatson18260

Default Volvo XC70 anti skid service problem

I had the problem with the anti skid service required, took to a Volvo dealer today as the MOT is due in one months time and will fail with the warning light on, was diagnosed as the control unit needs replacing at a nice price of £1718

With The car being 2004 and not even worth that much I started to get depressed as how to get the money together to get a new car before the MOT is expired, the mechanic then told me “off the record, you didn’t hear this from me” that if I removed the propshaft, and rear differential that it will run perfectly as a FWD car and get rid of the problem, which should make it pass the MOT, has anyone had any experience at this and whether it’s a viable plan that will work???

Many thanks in advance for any advice/help
ewatson18260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:31   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatson18260 View Post
I had the problem with the anti skid service required, took to a Volvo dealer today as the MOT is due in one months time and will fail with the warning light on, was diagnosed as the control unit needs replacing at a nice price of £1718

With The car being 2004 and not even worth that much I started to get depressed as how to get the money together to get a new car before the MOT is expired, the mechanic then told me “off the record, you didn’t hear this from me” that if I removed the propshaft, and rear differential that it will run perfectly as a FWD car and get rid of the problem, which should make it pass the MOT, has anyone had any experience at this and whether it’s a viable plan that will work???

Many thanks in advance for any advice/help
That's a bodge that may well leave you with a permanent fault code and a car not fit for it's purpose regarding insurance , I would find another garage who knows what he is doing .. You can get your DEM repaired for a reasonable cost .
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:49   #8
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Why might there be insurance problems?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:53   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Why might there be insurance problems?
you have to declare anything at all these days which is not to original manufacturers specification and if the rear wheels are not able to be driven the computers do not know this ,The traction control and anti-Skid won't work and it may affect the braking too in emergency situations hence the messege in your dash .. that is why it will fail MOT if not working , A Safety issue .
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:55   #10
oragex
Premier Member

As above, the DEM can be repaired by Xemodex in the US and perhaps by other shops near your location. Not cheap but surely not even close to a new module cost.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/diffe...6001749-10-20/
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archi.../t-100774.html

But given the age of your car, you need to know that the mechanical part of the AWD system may also be already compromised as well. The sum of repairs may not be economical for such an old car, so at this point it would be more a matter of having a working car. On the Xemodex site they also talk about the compatibility of used DEM modules, maybe try to search on Ebay for a used unit.