Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 woes

Views : 1477

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 19:41   #11
northernblue

If you have'nt tried it yet , take the oil filler cap off with the engine running,if it sounds like a tug boat then you have a vacuum leak.
If this happens crimp the engine mount hoses to see if the engine goes quiet.one by one.

Big thanks to CheshireD5 for this , my rear mount is knackered but now blanked off till i can sort it.
Just come back from Great Yarmouth towing a caravan with no ESR ,i reckon the turbo needed it.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 20:09   #12
mav1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernblue View Post
If you have'nt tried it yet , take the oil filler cap off with the engine running,if it sounds like a tug boat then you have a vacuum leak.
If this happens crimp the engine mount hoses to see if the engine goes quiet.one by one.

Big thanks to CheshireD5 for this , my rear mount is knackered but now blanked off till i can sort it.
Just come back from Great Yarmouth towing a caravan with no ESR ,i reckon the turbo needed it.
I've already done this... There was a popping with the oil cap off.. And yes I have clamped of the front and rear mounts... The popping has gone.. But still the engine service required message when under load...
2000 2.4t V70 p2
2002 2.3 t5 s60 auto
mav1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 20:27   #13
northernblue

I stand to be corrected.
My experience is , because the mounts have failed the actuator won't work properly,therefore the VNT won't work properly. Having figured this out some decent runs seem to have sorted it. IE icouldn't floor it on a cold Engine before but now ican.
The front mount is new the back is blanked off,but this took a good run to achieve. in my case towing 250 miles there and back.
Imo when you blank leaking engine mounts the correct vacuum reaches the actuator,providing there are no other leaks.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 20:37   #14
mav1508

Quote:
I stand to be corrected.
My experience is , because the mounts have failed the actuator won't work properly,therefore the VNT won't work properly. Having figured this out some decent runs seem to have sorted it. IE icouldn't floor it on a cold Engine before but now ican.
The front mount is new the back is blanked off,but this took a good run to achieve. in my case towing 250 miles there and back.
Imo when you blank leaking engine mounts the correct vacuum reaches the actuator,providing there are no other leaks.
Thank you for your input... I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow, and have another look to see if I can see any obvious vacuum leaks... I have already done as per Cheshired5 videos and this has indeed cured the popping.. But this is only a temporary solution.. I am definitely getting the feeling that the car is being held back when accelerating.. Turbo spins freely, new air filter, not sure about the oil filter, but I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that makes any difference..
2000 2.4t V70 p2
2002 2.3 t5 s60 auto
mav1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 20:42   #15
northernblue

good luck
my initial problems with this car were seizing actuator and seizing VNT and ECM 6805 P0244
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 15:27   #16
aland

I also had that issue, in my case initial power was OK, then it went into limp until the next power off/on cycle.
I found that after about 4 cycles when HOT it was OK (see posts in last few pages of the sticky thread).
Eventually I replaced the turbo with another and all good again.
The turbo intake pipe should not be soft, but when that collapses you get a loud wheezing / squealing sound.

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aland For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 16:33   #17
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:

Slight hijack - mine makes this tugboat noise, but I haven't yet managed to stop it using Cheshire's videos. Might find the cause one day!
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 23:11   #18
Tub Thumper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Slight hijack - mine makes this tugboat noise, but I haven't yet managed to stop it using Cheshire's videos. Might find the cause one day!
I have a tugboat too Never had limp mode and pulls like a train. Engine vacuum mounts are new (the rear was holding vacuum but was compressed causing some vibration) - removing the brake booster pipe seems to work but covering the vacuum pump outlet makes it 'pop' again. Possible the pump rubber o-ring/seal is a tad leaky (think I saw a schematic of the pump (taken from vida?) on here once).

Last edited by Tub Thumper; Aug 20th, 2018 at 23:20. Reason: Finger trouble typing on a phone!
Tub Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tub Thumper For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:18   #19
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tub Thumper View Post
I have a tugboat too Never had limp mode and pulls like a train. Engine vacuum mounts are new (the rear was holding vacuum but was compressed causing some vibration) - removing the brake booster pipe seems to work but covering the vacuum pump outlet makes it 'pop' again. Possible the pump rubber o-ring/seal is a tad leaky (think I saw a schematic of the pump (taken from vida?) on here once).
My servo is leaking (or was in winter), got the o-ring, but not got round to looking at it. May have to get my bum in gear before it gets too cold.
Wonder if that's the issue - I also have no issues, so not exactly got the motivation to fix it!
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 10:26   #20
vorticity

I had this too for a year up until last April. Turned out to be the intercooler rad on its way out (must have been leaking in a small way). It finally blew in a big way on the M1 with a full full load. Coolant all over the bottom of the front bumper. That was at 105k.
The Following User Says Thank You to vorticity For This Useful Post: