Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you help? Buying a 440 Si 1.0 turbo diesel Nreg

Views : 1209

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 21:19   #1
tjbrighton

Default Can you help? Buying a 440 Si 1.0 turbo diesel Nreg

Being a Volvo lover but not being an expert (I had a great 240 se estate which I loved but it was too expensive on fuel) so I am planning to buy a Volvo diesel ...and I found this one near me.
What sort of price should I pay for it? He is asking £1,195.
This seems a lot compared to others I have seen advertised.. or am I missing something?
It has done only 61,000
maybe someone would be kind enough to advise me.
I would greatly appreciate it.
many thanks
Ty
tjbrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:44   #2
Fidgad

Cool

Having bought mine last year for £600 and then knowing i would need a new clutch, cam belt and a good service. Back silencer box was also changed the total cost was about £1K. Depending on the condition of it overall re the above items I would say it's not a bad price.
With the economy of a brilliant engine and the comfort of Volvo, I would haggle a bit but grab it while you can and cruise in comfort at approx 50 mpg.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:57   #3
tjbrighton

Default Thank you

So many thanks for that. it has an MOT til next March and Tax til Septemebr included too. So I will do that... not a great haggler by nature but will practise in the mirror first!
Many thanks again.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 19:45   #4
discover

You won't regret buying one of these. I've had my 1996 460 1.9 TD ES for six years, it's done 175,000 miles with no problems at all so at 61k you will have years in it. Try to haggle a bit though, it'll probably be a nice one granted but I'd think 800 would be more like it. Good luck.
discover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 23:22   #5
tjbrighton

Default well I did buy it

And its lovely.. I got him down to £950 I did say Im not a very good haggler...
and I drove it to and back from Bournemouth today ( from Brighton) and it was less than half the expense of when I drove it in my 240 se estate.
BUT on the last ten minutes of a flawless trip it started a sort of whirring sqeeking sound on the rear right wheel area....which exelerated as the car did and slowed as it did....
Would anyone have any idea what this is..
maybe I should post this as a seperate posting somewhere on here?... But it is relevant to this forum isnt it?

You never really know what your getting into do you?
Anyway thanks very much for your feedback guys
Ty
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 23:24   #6
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrighton View Post
Being a Volvo lover but not being an expert (I had a great 240 se estate which I loved but it was too expensive on fuel) so I am planning to buy a Volvo diesel ...and I found this one near me.
What sort of price should I pay for it? He is asking £1,195.
This seems a lot compared to others I have seen advertised.. or am I missing something?
It has done only 61,000
maybe someone would be kind enough to advise me.
I would greatly appreciate it.
many thanks
Ty
i could get u a 51 plate s40 for that price
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:05   #7
Fidgad

Talking

The 440 isn't a jelly-mould car with a Volvo badge though!

TJ, It sounds you may have a wheel bearing problem there. It is not immediately critical but get it checked out as soon as poss. On the other hand it may be brake caliper sticking or the back plate rubbing and still be not too expensive to fix.
Don't be disheartened though, you've got a great car with character and you're 200 squid in hand. What colour is it? When do we see a piccy?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 23:15   #8
tjbrighton

Default a piccy!

Well if you want to see it I... I will do that. Its a very pleasant shade of dark green.
In fact it seems the squeak was just some grit under the brake pad. A freinds dad said 'drive it in reverse a little bit and apply the break acouple of times'. This I did with great effect and the squeak is no more.
BUT!
Now I just went to move it and there is this.. ( im sure this is very bad and I feel scared to say the words) ticking noise in the engine.. like a bomb! I dont think it IS a bomb.. although there are some people around here who might have considered the idea. Is it the head gaskett? I seem to remember someone saying that tapping or knocking is BAD! its a completly regular and rather pleasant sounding tick tock!
I am now having the horrors.
I am very fond of my new car already and hate to think of something really bad being wrong wtih it.( can you imagine what I'm like with pets)
Any help or advice much appreciated...or I wont sleep!
from
Ty
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:09   #9
Fidgad

Wink

Hi tj. Mine has a ticking noise too from initial start up and until you get a cahnce to boost the turbo. As soon as possible, in a lower gear if you're in speed limit, give it a little bit of boot. The turbo kicks in and the ticking stops - until the next cold start. It may have something to with priming itself. I'm not a diesel expert but I am beginning to love the tractor-like noise and the torque in the windy hilly bits of Wales. Mine is Peacock blue but I did want a BRG one.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:58   #10
tjbrighton

Default Thank You

You are a pal Fidgad!
I breath another sigh of relief!
I will take it on the open road and give it a bit of woof.
Sadly no rolling welsh hills here.. but some nice south downland.
Ill let you know what happens...
thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.
best from TJ