Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 buying advice required

Views : 824

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 23:40   #1
Dazzerb

Smile V40 T4 buying advice required

Hi Guys,

Im looking at purchasing my first real Volvo (been driving Volvo engined Laguna's for the last few years).

A local dealer has a 53 plate V40 T5 66K for sale, which i'm very interested in, but first i've got a few questions :

He insists its a 2.0 engine, I thought all the T4's were 1.9, was there a change in engines at any time ??, if so are the 2.0's OK ??.

Is there any thing I need to check before and during a test drive ??

What are the servicing costs like for T4's ??

When doe's the cambelt need changing and approx cost ??

Thanks in advance for any answers. . .

Cheers

DazzerB
Dazzerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 00:30   #2
Dandle
Master Member

The T4 engine moved to 2.0 from 1.9 in 2000 when the phase2 cars were launched. Its the same power output as the 1.9 and the gearbox/engine combo are pretty much bullet proof, the 1.9 is the prefered engine for very high power outputs(350bhp+) though due to the thicker piston walls. The phase2 cars have revised suspension and are less crashy than the earlier cars although the rear suspension bushes do wear out they should be ok at that mileage. Check the upper engine mount for signs of wear as that can show a hard life.

The cambelt is due at 80k i believe although i changed mine at 70k. Dont use Volvo main dealers as they are very expensive, there are plenty of Volvo independants out there that will be reasonable for servicing.

Go take it for a test drive and listen for knocks and look for smoke from the turbo apart from that enjoy the drive as they are immense fun. Be aware the S40 isnt the quietest car and they can suffer from road noise which can change alot depending what tyres are fitted(if they are pirellis it will sound like a wheel bearing failing).
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 01:39   #3
johnswlondon
CEO

ok just a couple of points,get an insurance quote first before setting your heart on one,you dont mention your age...over 26 should be easy i guess?

66000 miles sounds ok but personally i wouldnt buy one over 100000 without budgeting for a new turbo,and if you do a high mileage this could come around quickly
johnswlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:29   #4
thebigv
Master Member

Hi,

I have a 1999 V40 1.9 T4 with 111000 with the original turbo on. Its running approximately 250 hp at the moment and the only problems i've had are the wastegate rattling (which is common and nothing major) and the filters in the fuel tank getting blocked and causing a stutter at around 3k revs. I bought it with 70k on three years ago and its been serviced every 10k by me since then and 10k by the previous owner through a volvo dealer. What i'm trying to say is, if the service history is good and the belts are changed, get a quote, by it and enjoy it. The tyre thing is true mind. i am just due to change my rears and i've had pirellis on it and the amount of people who've told me its got a wheel bearing going is more annoying than the sound.

the 2.0 has what they call twin scroll technology on the manifold. Basically they join manifold pipes 1 and 4 together and 2 and 3 and it aids in spooling the turbo quicker, as the pulses from the exhausts match better. It also allows a little better mpg but then again you'll hardly notice it with a heavy foot. They do drive a little better as standard due to its wider track and revised suspension but phase ones can match them with a few mods. The v40 is practical enough but remember its no longer than an s40 so you only gain a little boot space in height, but its not brilliant. However i did manage to move house, twice with just the Big v. HAHA

This forum supplies good advice and friendly people, you'll not go far wrong with the car or this forum, so welcome and enjoy both.
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:35   #5
thebigv
Master Member

Forgot to answer your original query. Servicing is good if done by yourself, just remember the oil filter is a eco one which only comes as the insides. You keep the outer plastic cap and replace the actual filtration unit. Its gets messy if you throw it in a tub of oil and have to fish it out when you realise, as a mte of mine did. At an independent garage it'll cost around fifty to a hundred quid depending on where you go. Dont go to the stealer, they ask what type of car it is and see pound signs. Whereas people like Honda charge £65 whatever the car once its over three years old. Anyway, i digress. I've been quoted 120 for the next cam belt change when i need it at 140k (every 70k), yours is slightly different as i think they were every 90k, i may be wrong so check.
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 16:17   #6
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzerb View Post
Hi Guys,

Im looking at purchasing my first real Volvo (been driving Volvo engined Laguna's for the last few years).

A local dealer has a 53 plate V40 T5 66K for sale, which i'm very interested in, but first i've got a few questions :

He insists its a 2.0 engine, I thought all the T4's were 1.9, was there a change in engines at any time ??, if so are the 2.0's OK ??.

Is there any thing I need to check before and during a test drive ??

What are the servicing costs like for T4's ??

When doe's the cambelt need changing and approx cost ??

Thanks in advance for any answers. . .

Cheers

DazzerB
Sounds like a really good buy because on '04 model T4 would have been the runout model which was fully loaded from the factory and there weren't that many about. The 2.0 T4 (Phase 2) is an overall better car in terms of comfort and driveability.

Its badged a 2.0 T4 but is a 1948cc engine so yes, it is a 1.9, but that's just playing with semantics.....

Is the car from a Volvo dealership? If so, it should have their approved car checks and warranty to give you some peace of mind. In terms of servicing, its very much whom you go to to have the work done. I'm based in the Bristol / Bath area but go to MRG Volvo Chippenham for all the work on my car because they're honest, and they don't rip you off. I always supply the parts and oil etc and the actual labour costs have always been very reasonable and sometimes even cheaper than some of the independents mentioned on this forum. I'd suggest giving them a call (01249 443300) and ask to speak to Simon, the Service Manager; tell him you've been referred on from here and he will be able to quote you for a cambelt service etc. so that you have a rough idea.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 16:40   #7
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigv View Post
the 2.0 has what they call twin scroll technology on the manifold. Basically they join manifold pipes 1 and 4 together and 2 and 3 and it aids in spooling the turbo quicker, as the pulses from the exhausts match better.
The twin scroll refers to the design of the exhaust turbine to enable quicker spool up of the turbo. The last year of the phase 1 T4s were fitted with twin scroll turbos as well for info.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 20:25   #8
Dazzerb

Unhappy

Many thanks for your informative replies.

. . . . only trouble is that the car has been sold, but not to me . . Damn !!

So will have to keep my eyes peeled for another. Been checking autotrader every night, but nothing yet. . .

note to pyapp, i'm also from the Bristol/Bath area (Yate), I was considering using MRG (only 10 miles away) after thier rave reviews on this forum.

Insurance should'nt be a problem, i'm not a spring chicken any more.

Will keep you updated when I finally find one . . . hopefully not to long.
Dazzerb is offline   Reply With Quote