Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather reconditioning

Views : 1131

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 21:59   #1
EuanW

Default Leather reconditioning

Evening all!

The state of the cream leather in my XC90 is pretty shocking. Dirty, creased, and in need of a bit of repair. Can anyone in the Hertfordshire areas in UK recommend anyone to improve it?

Many thanks in advance!
EuanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 13:16   #2
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I used A & R Pound in Baldock http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/c...rs/ai_8295.php for my XJS; he is a wizard on leather repairs but can be a bit hit and miss; may be worth consideration but recommend you see what other recommendations you get.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 01:56   #3
DonHS

Default These are inexpensive and I enjoyed testing them out.

I searched You Tube ‘cleaning leather car seats’ and found several options. Cleaning: 1. use damp cloth and baking soda or toothbrush and baking soda to get into creases in the leather 2. Coconut shampoo on damp cloth, which will also ‘feed and nourish’ the leather. Both these worked very well.
After cleaning, keep leather supple: 1. Olive oil on soft cloth, leave to penetrate for a while then wipe off any excess with paper kitchen towels 2. Leather conditioner is easy to find and apply.
Method 3: tried this on one of the 3rd row of seats, just in case… clean cloth with a little paint thinner on and 2 short sprays of car body paint in the closest match you can find. Better to go a shade lighter if you have any doubts. This brings the seats original leather dye to the surface. Feed leather after as in the first 2 methods.
I was genuinely impressed with all results but the coconut shampoo 'cleaner' followed with olive oil 'feed' smells and feels lovely. Had fun too.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 08:16   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Just buy autoglym leather cleaner and feeder kit
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 09:24   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Gliptone for me!

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 10:31   #6
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Gliptone for me!
Me too, been using it for 25yrs + ... tbh never found better.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 13:24   #7
revaido

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuanW View Post
Evening all!

The state of the cream leather in my XC90 is pretty shocking. Dirty, creased, and in need of a bit of repair. Can anyone in the Hertfordshire areas in UK recommend anyone to improve it?
I used Dr Leather advanced cleaner with a Sonax leather brush on my XC90 recently and it was fantastic stuff and brought the leather back to a lovely matte finish - previously it was very shiny.

The smell was great too!
revaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 00:20   #8
moorgate

Gliptone is fantastic. I also use saddle soap, and straight Leather feeding Oil for really bad cases. the matt finish from saddle soap is a lot classier than trying to get the surface to look like Fred Astair'es dancing shoes. For the bits that I am going to touch, I use Clarks' leather cream - the ultimate feeder and absorber of scratches, but bugger-all use for actually cleaning dirt out of crases, etc. For that work I have a set of brushes of different sizes, and the good old double-bucket system.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 13:03   #9
dstc

Default Too late if the leather is cracked

If the leather is cracked and in really bad shape then you'll need to repair it with fillers, etc. Or get someone to repair it for you. If it's just starting to crack then clean it properly to remove all grease, etc. and a little dab of paint thinners on a soft cloth and a quick blast of a similar shade of spray paint will make the cracks fade away. My leather steering wheel was in such bad shape, a friend suggested i try this method and it really works.

Volvo Sweden on YouTube suggested using Febring leather conditioner. He compared it with 2 other products. I use it on everything now. Shoes, leather sofa, weight lifting gloves, etc.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:06   #10
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/soaps-oils/

If this is the stuff, they make a variety of products depending on what it's for.

Gliptone has always works fine for me

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is online now   Reply With Quote