Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tailgate strut removal and wiring loom repair

Views : 1377

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:35   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogereld View Post
Peeling back the two layers of sleeving has revealed a lot of broken wires. At the point where they are broken they are very stiff and it feels like the insulation on each wire has gone hard and brittle.

I will need to get some heat shrink sleeving and then do a bit of soldering.
Whatever repair you do, do NOT solder the wires in the middle of the section that flexes.

The section that flexes undergoes a lot of movement over time and the copper wires break our to metal fatigue.

A solder joint is not flexible, and thus the flexing occurs at another location, which will consequently become the weak point and inevitably break.

To effect a repair that will work over the long term, you need to replace every single wire with a new wire, at best using highly flexible wire, and then make the joins inside the tailgate and inside the vehicle, so that the joins themselves do not move

However, given the relatively low cost of a new loom, I would recommend replacing the loom itself. Then the loom is entirely new and should last another 16 years, similar to the lifespan of the original loom.

PS: many cars have this problem, and a lot of car manufacturers provide replacement loom repair kits to perform such a repair so that the flexing part of the loom is always brand new, and uses highly flexible wiring.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:47.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 16:42   #12
rogereld

I have removed all the tailgate trim with the intention of removing the old wiring loom. There are lots of plastic clips that hold the wiring to the tailgate panels and I can not see how to undo them.

Can anyone tell me how to release the clips from the wiring without breaking the clips please.
rogereld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 15:06   #13
rogereld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogereld View Post
Can anyone tell me how to release the clips from the wiring without breaking the clips please.
I can now answer my own question. It is difficult. I used two very small flat blade instrument screwdrivers. One to lever the gripping tab away from the serrated strap and at the same time another to push the strap part out of the clip. Same procedure as trying to undo a cable tie with the spare end cut off flush with the clip. I broke one but the rest have survived.
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 12:42   #14
rogereld

After carefully undoing all the original wiring clips and removing the broken wiring I decided to order a replacement loom from Volvo. The new loom came with new plastic clips attached so all the time spent carefully undoing the original clips was unnecessary. I have pulled all the old clips out of the bodywork and disposed of them. I saw no obvious clues in the parts diagrams so I had assumed the clips would be additional items but they were included attached to the new wiring loom at the correct positions.

Rear wiper and tailgate remote locking needed a couple of fuses replacing to get it all working again.