Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise turning right and under hard acceleration 2006 V70

Views : 813

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 19:57   #1
v70windsurf

Default Noise turning right and under hard acceleration 2006 V70

Good evening,
For a while I have had a noise coming from the front of the car when turning right or under hard acceleration. I would describe it as a loud 'scoring' noise.

On a roundabout if I take my foot off the accelerator before turning I can sometimes reduce the noise, but if I then accelerate slightly it will become audible again (I guess as the driveshaft becomes loaded by the gearbox rather than the wheel).
The same noise occurs under hard acceleration in a straight line.

I have no droning noises under normal driving at any speed, or clicking noises when cornering.

As I don't get noises that I've heard before for worn wheel bearings and CV joints I am concerned that this could be the differential.
I wondered if anyone on the forum could make any suggestions to help me diagnose what is causing the noise?
v70windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:11   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Mileage? FWD-AWD?, Turbo or not?

The differential is so rarely mentioned you gotta thing it's something else.

The carrier bearing on the right CV shaft (the long one)?

Raise the front wheels and put it in gear and listen through a tube or do the screwdriver trick.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:18   #3
v70windsurf

Thanks for the reply,
Its a 180,000 mile fwd D5
Will, try and give it a listen tomorrow.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 21:37   #4
CaptainSlow337

Virtually impossible to diagnose on the internet, but I'd be checking engine mounts first. Iirc one makes a vibration as you turn right, might be front one?
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 22:29   #5
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 View Post
Virtually impossible to diagnose on the internet, but I'd be checking engine mounts first. Iirc one makes a vibration as you turn right, might be front one?
what about the right hand side mount,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 19:52   #6
v70windsurf

I didn't find any signs of problems with engine mounts.
However, I think the problem may be the CV joints. 3 out of the 4 joints had rotational play; both inner joints and the nearside outer.
On the inner joints I held the body of the joint and tried to twist the shaft and there was play.
On the outers I held the disk and tried to twist the shaft.

I presume this play is showing worn joints. I just tried the same on brand new shafts I have for my ford transit and there is absolutely no play.

Next question is where is best to buy shafts from as I understand that CV joints alone aren't available?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 14:47   #7
v70windsurf

Oh dear, dirty gearbox oil sample with tiny metal fragments.
Time to think carefully about the economics of keeping this car..

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 16:38   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Manual or automatic? I assume manual transmission. Try getting the fluid / oil clean and see if it redirtys itself.

If you're going to "swap out" your CV joints it'll be faster to swap the entire shaft(s). People with more knowledge will tell you rebuilt CV joints have play due to the use of old parts.

It might make logistical sense to get new Volvo CV joints and install them or have 'em installed on your shafts.

Apparently there are lots of cheaper shafts out there for sale. Volvo ones are top quality but the price is high.

Is there a professional shaft shop near you where you could have new CV joints installed? A shaft shop also has a balancing "lathe" which is a nice way to finish that job.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 23:21   #9
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

If you're going to replace the CV joints (they are available separately, I just replaced an outer on our S80) then I can wholeheartedly recommend a company called J&R, Ebay username J_R2006 .

They manufacture new (not recon) joints and shafts in the UK and have a 2 year guarantee, prices pretty damn reasonable too, it was £15 delivered for an S80 outer including boot/clips/grease/bolt and lock ring. I've used them before for joints on one of our Xantias and a pair of new shafts for the 206, and they've always come next day to boot.

I'm not in any way associated with/on the payroll of J&R, just mightily impressed with the service and quality provided by a UK company and wish to throw a bit more business their way if I can. They deserve it.

Hopefully this cures the problem, I can't see the photo of (presumably) the oil sample but I'd go with replacing the oil first off. It's possible, even likely IMO, for there to be small particles hanging round in old gearbox oil, if the gears have ever been ground at all there will be shavings to denote that. It's possible that they may be normal, depends how big and how many (also on what type of metal it is, from gear teeth/bearings or synchro etc)
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 00:00   #10
Das boot
Premier Member

+ 1 for J&R .. their service and prices are good .

Your problem sounds like the carrier bearing on the long shaft and when I replaced mine a few years ago J &R didn’t do that one
Das boot is offline   Reply With Quote