Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 V70 D5 randomly cuts out.

Views : 3376

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 00:26   #1
andydeejay

Hi all.

This all started after my wife left the ignition on all night and flattened the battery.

I hooked up to another car with heavy jump leads, connecting the ground lead to the chassis and the red to the positive stud by the fuse box. Tried cranking but must have had poor connection and only had enough power to engage relay. Gave leads a wiggle and tried cranking again - this time yellow engine light on dash blinked rapidly. Over the next 10 minutes, repeated several times without success until finally I must have got a really good connection and it cranked up and started ok.

Since then, driving at various speeds, engine just randomly dies and brings on yellow engine light, shuts off heater fan, disengages cruise control then comes good all within about 1 second. In order to get cruise control to work again ignition must be switched off and on again. No error codes displayed on computer. It does this maybe once a day, twice in 5 minutes or occasionally behaves ok.

Can someone help please - There are about 110,000 miles and the usual door lock problems. Have I damaged something??

Thanks

Andy
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 19:45   #2
steveall

Default D5 stalling

Hi I have an S60 D5 with the same problem. I bought the car in Feb and it started stalling within 2 weeks. Just cuts out with no warning sometimes on tickover sometimes at speed. Mines an auto which when it cuts out in drive leaves me with no steering or brakes. Car always restarts 1st time. anyway its been back to the dealer 3 times and had new power relay and wiring, new ignition switch still has the problem (no error codes just like yourself) as the car is dangerous the dealer has now involved volvo uk to try to find the problem, I dont know if the car has ever been jump started like yours as it is 3 years old with 125000 miles. They seem to think it is a voltage drop somewhere but cannot trace the fault as yet. I think they have had the car more than me but i want to persevere as i love the car. I'll let you know how I get on maybe, email you. Fortunately I wont have a bill as the relay itself was 500 quid even though it failed to rectify the fault. Good Luck By the way the record is 13 times in one 20 mile journey. I,m too scared to drive it as it is

Last edited by steveall; Sep 8th, 2006 at 19:47. Reason: extra info
steveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 07:48   #3
JackT5

Not quite so bad as your problems, but a guy i know had intermittent misfiring on his V70 D5. The local dealer had it for about 3 weeks and eventually found the problem to be a crack in the relay circuit board.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:35   #4
MidLifeCrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveall View Post
Hi I have an S60 D5 with the same problem. I bought the car in Feb and it started stalling within 2 weeks. Just cuts out with no warning sometimes on tickover sometimes at speed. Mines an auto which when it cuts out in drive leaves me with no steering or brakes. Car always restarts 1st time. anyway its been back to the dealer 3 times and had new power relay and wiring, new ignition switch still has the problem (no error codes just like yourself) as the car is dangerous the dealer has now involved volvo uk to try to find the problem, I dont know if the car has ever been jump started like yours as it is 3 years old with 125000 miles. They seem to think it is a voltage drop somewhere but cannot trace the fault as yet. I think they have had the car more than me but i want to persevere as i love the car. I'll let you know how I get on maybe, email you. Fortunately I wont have a bill as the relay itself was 500 quid even though it failed to rectify the fault. Good Luck By the way the record is 13 times in one 20 mile journey. I,m too scared to drive it as it is
As an aside: Speaking with a vehicle technician (mechanic with a laptop) and his boss, I was told that during a recent clutch replacement the ECU may have been 'spiked' and require a full ECU reprogramming by a main dealer, when the battery was disconnected!!!!

They informed me that the correct sequence when disconnecting the battery is earth off first followed by the positive. When reconnecting, positive first then earth! This ensures that the battery isn't earthed when removing / attaching the positive lead and spiking the electronics!!

The problem turned out to be a disconnected clutch pedal sensor, which when reconnected resolved all issues I'd been having with an 'Engine Service Required' message that would not be reset and a non functioning cruise control system!!
MidLifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 15:48   #5
andydeejay

Yea - sounds like I have "spiked" the ECU because I did put the junp leads on and off and get the odd spark on connection.

I am having some journeys without problems - some dropping out 6 times in 20 miles. When it goes wrong the rev counter goes bananas. Sometimes it looses power for 10 seconds which is a bit worrying......crossing over a busy crossroads for example. One of the times is said "major traction service required"?

Thanks for all the responses so far - I would like to go the the dealer armed!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 18:39   #6
b1g1an

You're supposed to have the ignition switch in a particular place when you reconnect as well, it's in the handbook.
b1g1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:58   #7
andydeejay

Only this week, mine is back with the guy I bought it off. He took it to his mechanic and payed 40 quid to hook it to a Bosch computer but found no error codes. Of course the car was on it's best behaviour and didnt cut out once.

We have currently swapped cars - red astra estate! - and after a couple of days and a journey to dublin it started to cut out. He reakons it could be several things and promises me it will get fixed. It is heading over to Volvo today. At least he will have a bit more authority with the main dealer and might be able to bypass a lot of the B/S.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 20:19   #8
john griffiths

Hi all
there is a fault on some D5 fuse boxes under the bonnet,causing the vehicle to just cut out this doesnt sound like a ECU fault as you said the fan cuts out this seems to surgests its loosing a live feed so either relay or fuse box,just some information to be going on with.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 21:04   #9
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Worth a look, just sorted a similar problem and it turned out to be excessive injector leak off causing the pump to over pressurise and ECU protective shut down.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 15:42   #10
steveall

Default d5 stalling

Hi all My similar problem was outline earlier. Volvo has modded my fusebox and wiring as the 3rd "FIX" still stalls so its in again, after 7 months i have had the car about 2 month total very frustrating and dangerous. Garage (non Volvo) i brought the car from are as frustrated as I am at least they give me a loan car and are now looking for another car for me. I'll keep posted as to the outcome.
steveall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveall For This Useful Post: