Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A bit of advice

Views : 577

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2018, 17:21   #1
kainechris83

Default A bit of advice

just bought my first v40 and upon having a good look in the engine bay ive discovered the silver flexipipe from the air box to the exhaust system is shot and just balancing on . Does anyone know that part number or the proper name for this so can get it replaced, the car sometimes has problems idling in the mornings i presume it could well be to do with this.

thanks
kainechris83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 10:13   #2
canis
Non Fragile

I kept the one on mine together for as long as possible, but eventually it bit the dust. I presume it's scattered in pieces somewhere down the M62. It's made absolutely no difference at all. I think it only really comes into effect in very cold climates where the throttle body can suffer freezing.

That said, replace it for completeness if you so desire. But don't be suprised if there turns out to be another culprit for your idling problem.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 10:45   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I kept the one on mine together for as long as possible, but eventually it bit the dust. I presume it's scattered in pieces somewhere down the M62. It's made absolutely no difference at all. I think it only really comes into effect in very cold climates where the throttle body can suffer freezing.

That said, replace it for completeness if you so desire. But don't be suprised if there turns out to be another culprit for your idling problem.
The fuel system is calibrated for inlet air at 35 C without the pipe the fueling isn't going to be correct .
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 12:23   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The fuel system is calibrated for inlet air at 35 C without the pipe the fueling isn't going to be correct .
If that was so, the valve would need to be electronically controlled and infinately variable. It isn't. It's either open or closed with no in-between, vacuum actuated - too brutal for what you describe.

The fuelling will correct itself because the EMS will detect it on the lambda sensor, and make adjustment accordingly. I don't doubt there is a prefered temperature. However I don't believe this brutal on/off of engine pre-heated air is the fix.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 12:35   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
If that was so, the valve would need to be electronically controlled and infinately variable. It isn't. It's either open or closed with no in-between, vacuum actuated - too brutal for what you describe.

The fuelling will correct itself because the EMS will detect it on the lambda sensor, and make adjustment accordingly. I don't doubt there is a prefered temperature. However I don't believe this brutal on/off of engine pre-heated air is the fix.
The lambda sensor can only make tiny corrections , it could go out of range , who knows ... Drivability will be affected in cold weather . It is there for a reason ...
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 08:43   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The lambda sensor can only make tiny corrections , it could go out of range , who knows ... Drivability will be affected in cold weather . It is there for a reason ...
Clan, I've always had a deep respect for your posts, you've taught me a lot of stuff. But on this, I cannot agree. Tiny corrections is all it takes for air temperature, and everybody knows engines prefer cold air - the colder it is, the more fuel you can burn. It's why turbos need an intercooler. And you've ignored my explanation regarding the brutality of the valve involved. This isn't there to stablise air temperature during running, it's just there for cold starts. You might remember the "summer/winter" positions of the old carburated air-boxes, this is the same thing just automatic.

Adding to that, I've been driving aroudn without one for years, without any difference at all.

Anyway ... respect. I just don't agree. But hey! :-)
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 01:33   #7
martin93

Agree with Canis on this one. Also, isn't that what the inlet air temperature sensor is for? So the ECU can fine tune fuelling depending on the temperature of the air?

Likewise though, mine hasn't been working for years and have detected no difference. To be honest, the throttle body has never iced up either, but UK winter's aren't exactly like the ones they have in Sweden.

I think it is really there just for the extremes. Like, -20 deg C
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 08:52   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

Used to be available from Halfords-and probably any motor factor-quite possibly still is.just a matter of getting the correct diameter pipe.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 15:21   #9
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainechris83 View Post
just bought my first v40 and upon having a good look in the engine bay ive discovered the silver flexipipe from the air box to the exhaust system is shot and just balancing on . Does anyone know that part number or the proper name for this so can get it replaced, the car sometimes has problems idling in the mornings i presume it could well be to do with this.

thanks
I've found:
http://www.skandix.de/en/
and
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/

to be quite useful for finding part #'s.

Good luck with the V40. It's a great little vehicle.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote