Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM Acting up??

Views : 394

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 21:10   #1
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Default CEM Acting up??

Hi, as mentioned before I cant use search function as the box disappears every time I attempt to type...
Yesterday I had 'Brake failure, stop immediately' fleetingly illuminate 3 times, one other time it stayed on about a minute or two, nothing wrong with brakes (could be an abs sensor breaking down etc), didnt worry, continued my journey (I did check brakes).
Tonight I could not lock the car. In the end I got back in, started it up, idled 20 secs, turned back off, got out, car locked as normal.
When I recently had a bulb failure it told me so, but the warning was on and off like a disco, dont know if this is usual, but generally such massages stay put until bulb replaced, not come on/off in a random pattern, so now wondering if it could be related.
Could this be Cem problem? Maybe instrument cluster, but I dont think locking is related to that?

Cheers!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 21:24   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Hi, as mentioned before I cant use search function as the box disappears every time I attempt to type...
Yesterday I had 'Brake failure, stop immediately' fleetingly illuminate 3 times, one other time it stayed on about a minute or two, nothing wrong with brakes (could be an abs sensor breaking down etc), didnt worry, continued my journey (I did check brakes).
Tonight I could not lock the car. In the end I got back in, started it up, idled 20 secs, turned back off, got out, car locked as normal.
When I recently had a bulb failure it told me so, but the warning was on and off like a disco, dont know if this is usual, but generally such massages stay put until bulb replaced, not come on/off in a random pattern, so now wondering if it could be related.
Could this be Cem problem? Maybe instrument cluster, but I dont think locking is related to that?

Cheers!

Are you not able to plug a fault code reader in and read the codes? I purchased an Autel reader of Ebay and it is really good, that way you would know what the failure is.

It sounds electrical doesn't it, and mechanically you may be OK but clearly I would not drive it with a brake warning, its really not worth the risk.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 21:37   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The brake warning instances occurred within about 1.5 miles, for the remaining 9 miles home, nothing. Nothing tonight either. There is no permanent fault light illuminated.
It could be as daft as Id just been through a puddle, maybe moisture in a sensor plug.
Im keeping my eye on it.
It was the locking issue tonight that really made me wonder...

I have an obd reader but it doesnt do anything other than engine.
Did just buy an elm27, dunno if that has more capability (to use with torque app) but so far my phone cant find it, Im in discussion with vendor...
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 22:03   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

So far nothing further to report...
Long ish run tomorrow, see what happens...
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:10   #5
R-P
Master Member

CEM failures can be very different in appearance, from what I read.

When I am locked out of the remote-locking system (see what I did there? ), I need to disconnect the battery before it resets itself.

My CEM-problems are clearly temperature related, so if it was hot, that might be a clue it was the CEM.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:36   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Cheers.
So far, nothing since, did 200 miles in it yesterday, fine.
Only temp related thing I have is the alarm, it sometimes goes off when in direct blazing-hot sunlight, I then get 'Alarm triggered check car' also 'Alarm system service required' message, which pops-up sporadically anyway, again, usually when hot. Havent got round to pratting with alarm box yet though...

Last edited by AndyV7o; Aug 29th, 2018 at 22:39.
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 05:31   #7
MWMan

Like R-P mentioned, my CEM started playing up when it got hot. (Its pretty well boxed in under the dash). Once I had determined it was the CEM causing all of my problems, I fitted a PC cooling fan to the unit itself and another one on the bulkhead to move the air around. I also fitted a switch so that I could turn it on and off as required.

Here is a post from last year when another member was suffering from the same thing. Post #5 has the pdf file showing what I did. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270209