Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 20740

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2019, 09:57   #501
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's not just to prevent moisture in the connector, there are relays inside for the petrol/gas changeover and they are designed to be mounted a certain way. It's similar to the reason i cited for vertical mounting of the injectors, the relays can stick if not mounted in the correct plane.

Are you sure the gas fuel rail is only 3mm diameter? Considering the gas hose is 12mm bore as far as i can make out, 3mm is a big drop. Is there not enough room to fit the gas injectors between the rocker cover and the petrol fuel rail? Alternatively there is at least one bolt i can see on the throttle body, a bracket on there would make it possible to mount them vertically.
I didn't realise about the relays, that makes more sense! I'll see about pointing it somewhere else. I did look to mount that fuel rail there but can't remember now why I went against it, perhaps it was head room but ill ave another play about today and see what I can do. Its fairly tricky to mount it somewhere close enough to keep the hose length to a minimum and even lengths.

Yea definitely 3mm internal diameter, I rang un Tinley when I ordered my extra bits and I asked about the nozzles and needing to make them bigger but he said anything more than 3mm is pointless as that the internal size so won't make a difference.
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 10:14   #502
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I didn't realise about the relays, that makes more sense! I'll see about pointing it somewhere else. I did look to mount that fuel rail there but can't remember now why I went against it, perhaps it was head room but ill ave another play about today and see what I can do. Its fairly tricky to mount it somewhere close enough to keep the hose length to a minimum and even lengths.

Yea definitely 3mm internal diameter, I rang un Tinley when I ordered my extra bits and I asked about the nozzles and needing to make them bigger but he said anything more than 3mm is pointless as that the internal size so won't make a difference.
Very true, the B230xx isn't an easy one to find space to mount the injectors vertically. This might give you an idea :

If you get your spuds in the right place, there's no reason the hoses between them and the injectors are any longer than where they are now and the main thing is they're near enough vertical. The big thing as you know is getting them the same length.

I'll have to look at my injector rails, see what's what on those, i wonder if the guy at Tinleys meant the internal bore of the calibration nozzles is 3mm or if he really meant the gas rail.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 23:07   #503
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
I wonder if the guy at Tinleys meant the internal bore of the calibration nozzles is 3mm or if he really meant the gas rail.
Maybe thats what he meant then, either way he said the maximum I could drill them out to would be 3mm for what ever reason
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 23:33   #504
ANDTWENTY

Day 2 - A fair bit of progress made today, first thing was mounting those injectors. I cut my old bracket up, flipped it around and shortened it slightly to allow the rail to sit vertically. the rubber bushing bolts that are supplied mean that the connectors hit the fuel rail so I'm going to get some rubber washers to shorten the distance but also so the rail isn't solid mounted. I also had to re make the bracket that holds the flow meter as this wasn't lined with the injectors anymore.

Next I took the manifold off to put the injector nozzle in. I managed to get a bit of an angle on them unlike my other Volvo as the manifold isn't as bulking so I could angle the drill a bit. while it was off I tapped into the water lines and plumbed these in. I also changed the thermostat and cleaned out the crank case breather oil box thingy, it was already clean to be fair but gave it another one anyway. I then put the manifold and wiring back on which was a little fiddly as I put all the injector clips the other side to give me room to the LPG injectors.

Once everything was in and I was happy with locations I put all the pipework in, Everything is now plumbed in under the bonnet, I'm just going to take the brackets off and give them some paint.

I also have the tank "in". It fit perfectly under the floor until I bolted it down and for some reason is now sits a little high. This tank didn't come with the 4 mounting bolts on the bottom like my other one did sadly, but it did come with a hole through the middle, which I was told would be good enough to mount it down with, this is what I've done. I found a 24mm threaded bar and some steel plate to spread the load. I'm going to turn a boss on the lathe to centre the bar better but for now a washer will do. Tomorrow I'll take it out, paint the plate up and seal the hole up, I'll also seal the valve hole up too and bolt it in for good.

The filler plate I made for my other car gave me some grief, I was hoping for a straight bolt on but that didn't happen. the light socket wire isn't long enough to go on the right which meant I had to flip the plate, I also had to do this because the filler housing hits on the break away hooks on the tow bar, as a rusult of it being inverted the socket also now sits wonky! What I'm going to do is cut one of the hooks off on the left, get a longer section of cable for the wiring socket and put it on properly! the plate also sits lower, this is because the holes are offset.

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 00:19   #505
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Much better on those injectors! Some good work there!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 23:13   #506
ANDTWENTY

so a very busy day but its pretty much done now. I got the filler plate on the tow bar switched back around, I managed to get more cable through and chop off one hook. The tanks all in, all pipe work is in, the tanks hole is sealed up and the wiring is almost done, I have just he lambda wire to solder in and I have to fit the level gauge in the car, that just means poking the wire through the bulkhead somewhere though.

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 23:30   #507
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you get your head in the drivers footwell with a torch and look on the bulkhead above the accelerator pedal, you'll see a 4-way grommet - throttle and bonnet release cables go through it leaving a couple of spares, perfect for the changeover switch/gauge cable.

Nice, neat looking job under the bonnet too!

Old Nov 17th, 2019, 10:29   #508
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
If you get your head in the drivers footwell with a torch and look on the bulkhead above the accelerator pedal, you'll see a 4-way grommet - throttle and bonnet release cables go through it leaving a couple of spares, perfect for the changeover switch/gauge cable.

Nice, neat looking job under the bonnet too!
Thanks for the heads up on that!! I didn't really have time to find a good way through last night but I knew the main loom goes through somewhere there so I'll look for that grommet!! Any ideas if you can get replacement switch blanks, if you remember I had that red light on one, well that's cracked and I was going to put the change over switch there.

Yea it came out rather neat thanks to the cable ties fitted along the scuttle panel there, meant all the wires could be stored together, was a bit of a mess on my V40 as you get a lot of excess wiring.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 11:09   #509
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you have a word with Mark (griston64) he may have some spares from the breaker. I know it's a late 940 but i think the blanks are the same. If not then ebay or a Volvo dealer.

I might have one floating around but i think i used it. I'll have a look.

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 11:27   #510
mhuk

PM sent. Where did you send the ECU for repair? I see page 40 / 41 you spoke about it being sent away. Cheers