Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any advice on how to replace rubber coupling steering column

Views : 724

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 20:07   #1
fishyboy

Default Any advice on how to replace rubber coupling steering column

Hi all
While searching for a vacuum leak in the engine bay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300688) I noticed a huge tear in the rubber coupler on the steering column.

I intend to attach a cord to the end of the horn wire from the steering wheel end, pull it down to the coupling. Then I'll cut the cord and tie off the lower end at the coupling and the higher end at the steering wheel. Hopefully, I'll then be able to pull the horn wire back to the steering wheel.

Are there any tips about changing out the old coupling?

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4887.jpg (161.3 KB, 30 views)
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:21   #2
old fart
Master Member

If it's anything like Amazon's horn arrangement, you can't pull it down from the wheel because of the contact on the end. You will have to attach the cord to the bottom of the wire and pull it up. Good luck. Andy.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:39   #3
fishyboy

Hi Andy,
I think you are right.
Fortunately when I installed a new horn wire a couple of years ago (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275761 - I switched from a three spoke plastic to a two spoke stainless wheel that I had restored) I added a new end piece with the horn contact to the the old wire. I hope that will be able to take that connection apart and re-solder once the job is done.
Phil
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 15:14   #4
fishyboy

Hi all,
Well I tried to fit the new coupling today without success. Described as "Genuine Volvo" it was clearly a unstamped repro part. Holes were nearly 2mm out of alignment. Returned to Brookhouse and ordered what is hopefully a Genuine Volvo part from Nordicar in Holland. Fingers crossed!
Phil
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 13:59   #5
fishyboy

Hi all,
After two days I recieved an email from Nordica saying that the Genuine Volvo coupling is not in stock (despite phoning them to ask if it was before I ordered). New Genuine Volvo stock not available till March, which is a bit of a issue as I broke the old one removing it and cant use the car.

After doing a bit of research on the net it seems that the coupling used on Triumph TR 4,5 and 6's was the same as on the Volvo. Ordered a repro from Rimmer Bros at 1/3 price charged by the Volvo dealers both here and on the continent. Also found a repro one at Scandcar.

Given that several threads on the Triumph sites (https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums...s-replacement/) suggest the rubber coupling will need compressing with either a large Jubilee clip or large water pump wrench (note they are using normal hex bolts not the recessed Allen heads) its probably worth having a spare.

And to cap it all the Triumph part costs a third of the same repro part from the UK or Continent Volvo parts guys. I guess its all supply and demand but I do feel we get ripped off!

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coupling TR.jpg (94.4 KB, 17 views)
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 14:08   #6
old fart
Master Member

A few TR parts fit, like clutch master cylinder and brake adjusters.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 19:30   #7
c1800
Master Member

Coincidentally this newsletter arrived in my inbox today.

https://t8f771efa.emailsys1a.net/mai...bef/index.html
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 19:38   #8
fishyboy

thanks C1800
I came across that one on my search but as I hadn't heard of them I decided to go down the Scancar route. Perhaps I should have tried the Barstuck one instead!
Phil
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 19:45   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Here's a useful little diy tool that can be useful. The clamps are often loathe to budge if you do need to move them a bit. If the two parts of the column appear to be a bit out of line I believe that loosening the steering box attachment bolts can give you a bit of adjustment to get the bottom part more in line with the top. Bad misalignment will damage the joint and also put a strain on the steering box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-19_13-22-42_582.jpg (84.9 KB, 18 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 15:25   #10
fishyboy

Hi all,
The Triumph item from Rimmer Bros arrived today ( in only 24hours!) and fitted perfectly. I'll keep the one from Scancar as a backup. Disappointed that the item for a TR4 fits perfectly, while the one for a Volvo had to be sent back. At least it was half the price.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4894.jpg (172.9 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post: