Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio wiring

Views : 2522

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 21:45   #1
ANDTWENTY

Default Radio wiring

I changed my standard cr-708 radio to the newer cr-906 the other day, I got the connectors that go into the radio with it and bought a wiring adapter for my radio, I then cut off the iso connector from the adapter and soldered the 2 radio connectors using the diagrams on this site, https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm.

Everything works as it should apart from the speakers, both radios have the external amp which is connected, the only difference is the 708 only had outputs for front speakers, the 906 has front and rear but I only connected up the fronts. The problem is only the rear 2 speakers work. the Fader works left to right and as you fade to the front the back goes off. Anyone know how I can get the front ones to work too and why the back ones work but its the front wires soldered up.

Many thanks in advance!!

ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:08   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I then cut off the iso connector from the adapter and soldered the 2 radio connectors using the diagrams on this site, https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm.

Everything works as it should apart from the speakers, both radios have the external amp which is connected, the only difference is the 708 only had outputs for front speakers, the 906 has front and rear but I only connected up the fronts. The problem is only the rear 2 speakers work.
You've got a 940 haven't you? The diagram you use isn't applicable to the 940, some of the wire colour codes are different.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y95_Wiring.pdf

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ction-3-39.pdf

Both of those are for later cars than yours, i can't find one for a 1990 940 but would expect it to be similar to the 1990 740, not that i can find one of those for the audio system, just the basic ignition/injection diagrams.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:57   #3
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You've got a 940 haven't you? The diagram you use isn't applicable to the 940, some of the wire colour codes are different.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y95_Wiring.pdf

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...ction-3-39.pdf

Both of those are for later cars than yours, i can't find one for a 1990 940 but would expect it to be similar to the 1990 740, not that i can find one of those for the audio system, just the basic ignition/injection diagrams.
Yea 1990 940

The one I followed says it a 960 but also says its for a cr-708 which is the same radio so should be correct, the loom adapter I got was also labeled the same and everything else works as it should I just can't get anything from the front speakers for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 23:19   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yea 1990 940

The one I followed says it a 960 but also says its for a cr-708 which is the same radio so should be correct, the loom adapter I got was also labeled the same and everything else works as it should I just can't get anything from the front speakers for some reason.
You can't get anything from the front speakers because you haven't connected them to the amplifier - look at those two diagrams, one is 940, other is 960, both 1995, both the same radio and amp but different wiring codes. The only speakers you have that are working are the two away from the main four if you look at the diagrams.
In other words, you haven't connected the main amp outputs from the radio to the amp.

The radios are the same, it's the car that has changed - possibly also the location as those diagrams you found are different again to the Volvo ones i linked to.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:26   #5
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
You can't get anything from the front speakers because you haven't connected them to the amplifier - look at those two diagrams, one is 940, other is 960, both 1995, both the same radio and amp but different wiring codes. The only speakers you have that are working are the two away from the main four if you look at the diagrams.
In other words, you haven't connected the main amp outputs from the radio to the amp.

The radios are the same, it's the car that has changed - possibly also the location as those diagrams you found are different again to the Volvo ones i linked to.
How do I connect them to the amplifier then? I have the original amp connector in the radio so that hasn't changed. the original radio connector has all the same connection from the new radio but the new radio has more outputs for speakers than my original one which only had outputs for front speakers, I assumed if I just connected the front ones up so it was 'original' it would work the same.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:49   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
How do I connect them to the amplifier then? I have the original amp connector in the radio so that hasn't changed. the original radio connector has all the same connection from the new radio but the new radio has more outputs for speakers than my original one which only had outputs for front speakers, I assumed if I just connected the front ones up so it was 'original' it would work the same.
That's a good question, first thing to find is a diagram for a 1990 7/940 and compare it to the diagram you've got that doesn't list the 940, just 960, 850 and the S/V range.

Other than that it's more or less guess work or you could try Autoleads or that seller on ebay that does the patch leads, upgrades to modern units etc. Think i previously linked to that seller, i'll look later to see if i did, if not i'll find a link for you but won't be until later today at the earliest.

Old Dec 9th, 2019, 13:18   #7
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
That's a good question, first thing to find is a diagram for a 1990 7/940 and compare it to the diagram you've got that doesn't list the 940, just 960, 850 and the S/V range.

Other than that it's more or less guess work or you could try Autoleads or that seller on ebay that does the patch leads, upgrades to modern units etc. Think i previously linked to that seller, i'll look later to see if i did, if not i'll find a link for you but won't be until later today at the earliest.
Okay I'll have a look, cheers!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 22:31   #8
ANDTWENTY

I had a thought today as I went out in the car. The newer radio has 3 main connectors, power, speakers and amp. The power had wires for front tweeters which I didn't think I had but realised I do which made me think! The original radio had amp and power with 2 speaker outputs, perhaps these weren't fronts as in door but front as in tweeters!

I disconnected the speaker plug from the radio which had the "front" speakers going in and nothing changed. I cut the wires and did away with this plug, I then soldered the "fronts" to the tweeters out from the stereo! I still only have rear speakers but the tweeters work! Well sort of, only the right one works, making me thing did the front speakers ever work? I'll try my old radio tomorrow and see. My thinking is the amp controls the 4 speakers but the head unit does the tweeters? Will test my amp and perhaps get a new one of that's the problem!!
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 10:47   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

The amp needs the speaker input to work as well not just the amp lead. The second plug you cut off contains said wires.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 11:30   #10
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
The amp needs the speaker input to work as well not just the amp lead. The second plug you cut off contains said wires.
On my original radio the car 708 it only had speaker outputs for 2 speakers, which turned out to be the tweeters. There are no outputs for any speakers other than the amp?