Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 145756

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 19:10   #1
tomas

Default ABS control unit repair

Has anyone had their ABS control unit repaired by Victor Rocha in the US?

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 19:33   #2
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: ABS control unit repair

No! but why sent it to the US when you can probably get it done here quicker.

Try http://www.bba-reman.com/

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 20:13   #3
tomas

Default RE: ABS control unit repair

Thanks for the suggestion; I had look. BBA sell replacement ECUs. What Victor Rocha does is repair the existing unit, at about a fifth of the cost of having Volvo replace it and less than half of the cost of buying a new one from BBA.

He also claims that the particular fault he fixes is so common that it can be regarded as a weakness in the original part, the upshot being that you might have it replaced and find it fails again.

All in all it's a pretty convincing sales pitch. I wanted to hear if anyone this side of the Atlantic had sent their unit to him for repair and if they were satisfied.

I'm in Portugal, by the way.

Tomas

tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 22:39   #4
bobcat
Premier Member

I have repaired my own ecu, very simple just remove the lid and resolder the solder joints on the plugs. will take about 1-2 start to finish.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 13:58   #5
kandlwaterhouse

Bobcat, I've managed to remove the unit from the car, but can't get the lid off - any suggestions?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 15:21   #6
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Abs

Now that you have the abs ecu off, you need to take a small junior hacksaw and cut around the small lip that runs about 1/2 inch down from the top, and slowley cut all the way around to take the top off. If you do a search on the forum, you will find a picture which shows what joints need re soldiered. After re-soldiering the joints, you then need to use a water proof silicon and place a small line of waterproof silicon around the edge that you cut off and the place the lid back on. If you have a vice, place the abs unit jently in the vice, just engough to keep the lid shut and let the silicon harden to help seal the unit. After that you could wrap some black electrical tape around the seam just to finish it off, which is what i did, and everything now works fine.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:10   #7
jamie28

Default Abs Ecu Repair

ive just repaired mine ,it looked like a dry joint on one of the power supply pins i resolderd them all as illustrated,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg absrepair_805.jpg (136.2 KB, 2179 views)
jamie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 13:20   #8
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie28 View Post
ive just repaired mine ,it looked like a dry joint on one of the power supply pins i resolderd them all as illustrated,
as a matter of interest jamie what vehicle did your abs unit come off of..., also how did you ensure that you did not damage the diodes and components underneath the circuit board without using a special tool...i would never recomend resoldering any other joints other than the plug to board joints unless you are experienced in this type of thing...excess heat is liable to damage the components...(this is why chip extractors were invented)
the only way to really check the joints is by resistance, not all dry joints are brown...
cheers
jod
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 17:56   #9
DickyB V70R

Well, I done mine yesterday arvo. About 3 hours after i posted up that my lights had'nt come up on the dash for a couple of days...They came on..!

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish...Done all the ones in the piccy that Jamie done...Soldering took about 3/4 of an hour. Just put a new little blob on each joint, easy to do. Worst bit was cutting the Lid off the ABS unit.

Put unit back on the car (after the Silicon had dryed) and took for a test drive.
Started the car and the lights stayed...got up to about 20mph while its checking the system...Lights went off and now stay off, only coming on for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the Ignition.

So hopefully all cured. DB.
DickyB V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:46   #10
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyB V70R View Post
Well, I done mine yesterday arvo. About 3 hours after i posted up that my lights had'nt come up on the dash for a couple of days...They came on..!

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish...Done all the ones in the piccy that Jamie done...Soldering took about 3/4 of an hour. Just put a new little blob on each joint, easy to do. Worst bit was cutting the Lid off the ABS unit.

Put unit back on the car (after the Silicon had dryed) and took for a test drive.
Started the car and the lights stayed...got up to about 20mph while its checking the system...Lights went off and now stay off, only coming on for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the Ignition.

So hopefully all cured. DB.
well done dick....im proud of you lad....
all the best
jod