Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice Required- Remote Locking Change

Views : 1159

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:12   #1
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Advice Required- Remote Locking Change

https://www.hawkcaralarm.com/catalog...r-central-lock

Hi: ~ looking for some advice regarding remote locking for a V70 1997 Estate.
The car came with two remote fobs- after changing the batteries/cleaning only one will work but at times seems reluctant. I believe to replace these via Volvo is expensive so I want to avoid that route. I did see on the forum the above system as a replacement but would like some feedback prior to changing- anyone using this or a recommended alternative.
I would wish to keep the original dash warning light once armed (possible?)

The alarm box has been removed for checking (picture attached) the batteries have leaked so the circuit board is damaged- however I’m not interested in having this part of the system working but it is now back in place minus the battery link
Any help is appreciated
Thanks Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.9 KB, 15 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 16:31   #2
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I can't help much with the alternative alarm... sorry.

But, when it comes to intermittent/dodgy fobs not working properly, the following thread (post 2) might help?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272012

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 18:23   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Thanks for the advice: ~ I have used contact cleaner on the fobs but never left them soaking so will have another go on the none working fob.
Regards Bob
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:51   #4
scutyde
Retrofit master

The box you removed is the alarm siren, the alarm "brain" is contained in the VGLA computer which sits under the dash.
When you remove the siren you will geht VGLA faults and probably the system will not arm and hence will no longer blink. The batteries can be replaced they are standard accumulators which can be soldered together. Depends however if the circuit board was not damaged by the leaking batteries.
These sirens are easy to find on eBay (99% of them have also dead batteries but maybe an intact board).
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 23:46   #5
Ian mallett

I found on eBay there's a company near me who refurb these remotes, you post them the remote & they repair them inside, replace the casings, new battery etc then post it back to you 2 days later with a 12 month warranty. All for about £20. My car came with no remotes so i went to a local Volvo breaker & they gave me a few remotes with wrecked cases, i stuck batteries in them & a visit to my local Volvo dealer the guy checked which ones worked then coded them to my car for me. Didn't charge me a penny either. Then ordered 2 cases from eBay and all is good. So 2 remotes, 2 batteries, 2 new casings & programming to the car cost me £10! £5 of that was a drink for the guy at Volvo!

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian mallett For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2018, 23:47   #6
Ian mallett

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F330477323723

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian mallett For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2018, 00:08   #7
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Aftermarket alarm

I fitted Concept 650 to my v70r locks and open CDL locks deadlocks have headlights on an aux channel and turbo timer on another channel all works great I left standard alarm unit in place and got all connections at it only real problem was the door pin switch's that are built into the latches all the trigger wires are at the alarm but you have to use 4 diodes to keep the circuits seperate if you don't when you open any door the little red light on the door shut will illuminate on the rest of the doors I'm away for the weekend at the moment but can get you all colours and pin locations in the standard alarm plug so you can just join your alarm in
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 21:51   #8
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies: ~ the alarm box is back in place but minus the batteries, I’m not going to replace the unit as the c/board looks damaged plus the fact an audible alarm isn’t missed.
Otherwise it locks & activates.

Cleaned up the fobs again but one still doesn’t work at all and the second is still slow at times on the lock button.
The repair service detailed seems to be good so I will give them the none working fob initially to see how it goes.
Regards Bob
Old May 8th, 2018, 22:15   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Fitted a Hawk remote locking system to our S70 a few years ago. It’s been 100% perfect.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 15:26   #10
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default V70 Fob Repair Update:~

Just an update regarding the locking problem on the Volvo V70 & none working fob I used the company https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Volvo...19.m1438.l2649 as recommended by another member above.
Received the fob back today after a very quick response and turnaround – excellent service here- fob now fully working with a replaced case plus a 12 months guarantee.
Second fob with a slow button to be given etc.
Good service needs recommending.
Regards Bob

Last edited by Bob Meadows; May 11th, 2018 at 15:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: