Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 insurance

Views : 2406

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 19:02   #21
blueblock

I pay £420 for a 5000 mile SDP policy on my 240 through Lancaster - I'm 24 and although I have over 6 years of claim free driving I don't have an NCB since my cars up to now have been supplied through lease agreements with included insurance, and I was informed that I couldn't transfer it.
It is almost exactly the same as what I pay for my Seat through Admiral, SDPC with 10,000 estimated miles. I looked into their multicar deal but I couldn't get it any cheaper than classic insurance for the Volvo. Interestingly, with myself as the main driver on the Seat, adding my father as the second driver actually reduced the price by around £60. If you have a close relative who is statistically very boring and wants to borrow your car occasionally, it may be worth adding them!
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 23:10   #22
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Its a very late 97................... Lancaster came back with it over 20 years old, so all is good.
To be honest I was getting a little worried it was too new. I had been knocked back on a good few on line searches and calls but got a result with Lancaster through "quotezone"
Was this a classic policy and doesn't use your NCD on the 940 so free to use on your main daily driver? And also doesn't earn a NCB?

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 00:14   #23
psl
Master Member

Yes its a classic policy. My NCB are kept for my daily car, as I`ll only be using the Volvo for the odd Sunday jaunt and family trip. I shall accrue NCB`s each year on my classic policy, thus having NCB`s on daily, commercial and classic motoring policies.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 01:02   #24
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I'd forgotten how archane and extortionate insurance is in the UK.

Moomin is fully insured here in NZ for unlimited miles, agreed value, all drivers over 25, my NCB from Snork and previous cars rolls through as well. All glass claims for free, Roadside Rescue included, about $250 / year iirc. Thats about 120 quid in the old money.

Suck it up guys - find a NZ insurance company!
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:19   #25
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
I'd forgotten how archane and extortionate insurance is in the UK.

Moomin is fully insured here in NZ for unlimited miles, agreed value, all drivers over 25, my NCB from Snork and previous cars rolls through as well. All glass claims for free, Roadside Rescue included, about $250 / year iirc. Thats about 120 quid in the old money.

Suck it up guys - find a NZ insurance company!
The only problem is that no NZ insurance company would be able to trade over here without setting up a UK-based subsidiary.

I think I'll be looking at a classic policy for the Valdez next year - I've got two claims on my daily driver, one of which falls off in October and my incompetent insurance broker tried to tag both claims to both cars last year, thereby upping the premiums on both.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:23   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think to get the full advantage of the lower NZ premiums we'd all have to move to NZ Ash!

Over here, insurance is compulsory so that if you drive down the road and demolish someones garden and house with your car (or worse still, their children) the aggrieved third party can get some recompense through the insurance.

Correct me if i'm wrong Ash but i seem to recall you explaining there is a government run compensation scheme in NZ so that third parties get their recompense that way?

I think you also said how that limits the "cash for crash" scams that are rife here. That's one of the things that pushes our premiums up, that and joy-riding plus the amount of high-value cars that are stolen to order for various purposes.

Trouble with compulsory insurance, the insurers can almost charge what they like which means a lot of people take the chance and drive without insurance.

The irony is that the third party then has to either claim on their insurance or lose out. Allegedly this is why we have to pay even higher premiums.

I can't quite work that one out as if the uninsured driver had in fact had insurance with the same company as the third party, that company would have ended up paying in any case.

I'm sure they have some sort of weird, contorted logic in that but i don't see it myself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:30   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've got two claims on my daily driver, one of which falls off in October and my incompetent insurance broker tried to tag both claims to both cars last year, thereby upping the premiums on both.
They're full of tricks like that! Means more commission for them. I've only ever had one insurance broker that actually did what was best for me in terms of insurance, even when it meant he earned slightly less commission.

I later found out from other customers that was how he'd built his business up because people trusted him not to rip them off.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 11:27   #28
Jimsiss

Insurance companies say it costs us more because of this or that but the truth is they are putting up prices regardless. They sometimes bundle things like key cover in on policies and add it to the price of the policy to cover costs, I've had to argue to have it removed before, if I'm stupid enough to lose my keys then I shouldn't have a car.

Insurance companies going knock for knock is criminal too if someone won't admit fault both parties get nothing, why have the insurance if they won't pay up.

It's the way of this country, if you are a thieving/good for nothing scumbag you are protected and given everything you want for free (at the expense of tax payers) and if you work hard for a living and pay for your insurance you get screwed due to the scumbags who drive without it or who fraudulently claim against you.
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:10   #29
Matthewdrummer

Default Lancaster quote

After 30 mins on the phone to Lancaster, best price I could get was £630! Not good at all.
Matthewdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:21   #30
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong Ash but i seem to recall you explaining there is a government run compensation scheme in NZ so that third parties get their recompense that way?
Yup - ACC covers all accidental personal injury. We lost the right to sue for injury, but gained the certainty of financial support if injured. You guys are covered by it if you hurt yourself while on holiday here - twist an ankle falling off a hobbit, bitten by a kiwi, all that sort of thing.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: