Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ViDA - installation problems

Views : 39089

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2012, 23:17   #11
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTech View Post
I'm running it on Windows 7Pro on a 32 bit machine (will not run on 64bit) with 4 gig RAM (only uses 3 gig Ram), plenty of HDD and Internet Exploror 8, (it will not run on iE9) I don't think you need virtual machines, it doesn't like 64 bit systems.
My version is 2011A and would love 2011D or 2012A.

HTH
I run my VIDA on a Dell laptop with Win7 Enterprise (32bit) 2GB RAM (minus what the graphics card steals) 128GB HDD and IE9. My VIDA version is 2011a.

It all works perfectly fine, the only thing I had to do was edit a file so it didn't do the 2GB RAM check due to the graphics card stealing some of the system memory thus leaving me with less than 2GB - result was VIDA would not install, edit done and installed fine.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 00:12   #12
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
I run my VIDA on a Dell laptop with Win7 Enterprise (32bit) 2GB RAM (minus what the graphics card steals) 128GB HDD and IE9. My VIDA version is 2011a.

It all works perfectly fine, the only thing I had to do was edit a file so it didn't do the 2GB RAM check due to the graphics card stealing some of the system memory thus leaving me with less than 2GB - result was VIDA would not install, edit done and installed fine.

Interesting to see that yours runs on IE9, this machine is on IE8 and they advise that you have IE8 or lower, not sure what my laptop is on but will have a look, maybe it's IE9 as it's a newish one. Worth knowing, thanks.
Can you tell me what file to edit please as that info could well be helpful.

EDIT: Just checked laptop and indeed it's on IE9, that's interesting as I've told several that it must have IE8 or lower.

Last edited by UKTech; May 1st, 2012 at 00:19.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 00:12   #13
Bernard333
Premier Member

What is the minimum hard drive requirement , Vida says 10 gb but I believe the actual programme takes about 4.2 gb on a dvd so would it run on such a low spec machine with a 10gB hdd which has maybe a total of 7.5gb free space ? Reason for asking is theres lots of cheap Dell C600s around with 10gB hard drives , 512mB ram , 800mHz with X Pro sp2 so nearly all complying with Vida except for the processor speed might be too slow ? If a C600 is no good would a D600 be ok , I dont want to spend more than I have to on yet another otherwise useless old lap top.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 00:40   #14
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
What is the minimum hard drive requirement , Vida says 10 gb but I believe the actual programme takes about 4.2 gb on a dvd so would it run on such a low spec machine with a 10gB hdd which has maybe a total of 7.5gb free space ? Reason for asking is theres lots of cheap Dell C600s around with 10gB hard drives , 512mB ram , 800mHz with X Pro sp2 so nearly all complying with Vida except for the processor speed might be too slow ? If a C600 is no good would a D600 be ok , I dont want to spend more than I have to on yet another otherwise useless old lap top.
I would suggest that it would be a complete waste of time, the program is not fast even on a newish machine with lots of memory, large HDD and fast i5 processor, so would be less than useless on a slow oldish machine. The program I think takes about 40gig of HDD. Sorry about that, not meaning to be critical but factual.

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to UKTech For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2012, 00:53   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

it Will run "ok" on a core2duo cpu (2gig memory/180gig hdd)
its Not fast, even on the high end quad core.
BUT as the comms To the car are at a "slow" speed,, speed on the pc isnt really as much of an issue,

http://vccs.volvocars.se/wsguide/upl...es_105EN12.pdf

Quote:
It is the recommendation of Volvo Car Customer Service that computer equipment
bought for VIDA should be possible to upgrade. It should be possible to increase RAM
and change hard drives easily to increase computer performance, if needed. Furthermore,
purchasing more memory will result in better performance since the use of
virtual memory is minimised.
Item Recommended specification
Processor > Dual Core 1.6 GHz (Laptop), Core i3 or equivalent1.
> Dual Core 2.6 GHz (Desktop), Core i5 or equivalent1.
Memory 4 GB
Local free disc space > 80 GB2
Networking Broadband connection
Connections 3 x USB 2.0 (One for DiCE, one for SWDL Special
Tool and one for future use.)3
Operating System Windows 7 Professional
Browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0
File System NTFS
Display resolution ≥1280 x 800 (Laptop)4
≥1280 x 1024 (Desktop)
Optical Unit DVD-ROM Dual Layer
1Name of processors is frequently changed. This is examples of what to use.
2This is the disc space that should be available before VIDA is installed. The recommendation
is based on the increase of used disc space over three years. If you have
other applications, allow extra space for these according to their requirements.
3Additional USBs can be needed for other equipment, such as mouse and keyboard.
4The VIDA application is developed for a 1280 x 1024 resolution, which is not readily
available in laptops. We believe that 1280 x 800 is the best compromise available at
this point in time. This means that when a 1280 x 800 resolution is used, vertical scroll
bars will be introduced. We do not believe that this will greatly impose on the functionality
or usability of the VIDA application.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:00   #16
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
You really want to be puting it on a slightly better pc than 10GB HDD with 512MB RAM.

A D600 will work well enough for the job but you really want to have 1GB ram minimum.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:11   #17
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTech View Post
Can you tell me what file to edit please as that info could well be helpful.

EDIT: Just checked laptop and indeed it's on IE9, that's interesting as I've told several that it must have IE8 or lower.
To edit the file you will have to copy all the contents from DVD to your HDD as you obviously can't save the changes back to the DVD (unless it is a DVD RW).

Once you have copied the DVD to a folder on your HDD then goto the following folder:

[Folder On HDD]\Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader

Then edit the file called:

Compinfo.ini

Scroll down the page until you find the following section (near the bottom):

[RAM]
XPMinValue=2000
Win7MinValue=2000
ErrorMess=Computer Memory (RAM) is below the required

Change the value from 2000 (2GB) to whatever value but I believe you need to have some value in there.

Mine reads like this, set to 1GB:

[RAM]
XPMinValue=1000
Win7MinValue=1000

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2012, 20:46   #18
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
To edit the file you will have to copy all the contents from DVD to your HDD as you obviously can't save the changes back to the DVD (unless it is a DVD RW).

Once you have copied the DVD to a folder on your HDD then goto the following folder:

[Folder On HDD]\Install\DVD\Vida_dvdheader

Then edit the file called:

Compinfo.ini

Scroll down the page until you find the following section (near the bottom):

[RAM]
XPMinValue=2000
Win7MinValue=2000

Change the value from 2000 (2GB) to whatever value but I believe you need to have some value in there.

Mine reads like this, set to 1GB:

[RAM]
XPMinValue=1000
Win7MinValue=1000

Thanks for that, saved me trying to find it. I understand all about the rest of it.
Old May 1st, 2012, 21:54   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The size of the drive isnt critical but free space is , min 30 gb .. an 80 gb should be minimum as you will probably end up with other things installed on it .

Vida originaly ran on DELL D510 systems out in the field and later had memory upgrades to 2 Gb . it runs fine on these machines and a working DELL D610 ( 2 ghz processor ) can be picked up for less than £100 .Look carefully and you can find better quality 1400 wide screens than the standard 1200 pixels wide ,it then means no scrolling !
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:15   #20
Crockers
Premier Member

Hi
Could one of you VIDA owners let me know if it can be used to add functions.

Aka. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152249

Many thanks

Tags
install, problems, s80, vida