Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No awd!!!

Views : 11151

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2017, 10:26   #21
bikemad

Smile No AWD, ANTI SKID SERVICE, DEM etc

Hi guys, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread.
I'm hopeful someone can shed light on my non working AWD!!.
Have been right through BCM, ( fixed that)
Have vida dice, read out codes.
Just left with DEM no communication.
Tried all Xemodex flow charts n fault finding.
I'd say it's the DEM!!
Are they coded? Or just plug n play?
Thanks in advance.
bikemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 12:35   #22
100K+
Premier Member

DEM's are coded to car. NOT plug and play.
HOWEVER contact volvodiagnostics.com, based in London they advertise on here. If its a DEM issue (or other electrical issue Lucus is a very good bet to sort it. His repair/exchange unit is far cheaper than a new Volvo unit.

What is the actual DTC code?? DEM?????

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 13:15   #23
wagonwheels

I can second 100+ recommendation,saved both of us a fortune after poor rebuilts but so called expert companies.Lucas can bench test your unit for a very small fee and rebuilt it for as little as £110 or an exchange for about £380.Very helpful quick turnaround.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
wagonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 22:56   #24
wagonwheels

Its been a few months of awd goodness but now ive noticed the haldex unit is weeping fluid out of the actual unit (I.e the rubber seal holding the electronics inside) ! How is oil getting out into the unit? I'll need to send the Dem off to get it cleaned and resealed with Lucas but I don't know how the oil is getting into it! Wish is would stop giving problems as I love the old bus.Had many £££'s spent recently with bigger brakes,rollbars,intercooler,full exhaust,7 seat convertion,Volvo blinds,thermostat,new wheels and tyres (again) and lots of other bits and bobs.I'm loathed to walk away from it now.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24

Last edited by wagonwheels; Apr 14th, 2017 at 23:04.
The Following User Says Thank You to wagonwheels For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 20:44   #25
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheels View Post
Its been a few months of awd goodness but now ive noticed the haldex unit is weeping fluid out of the actual unit (I.e the rubber seal holding the electronics inside) ! How is oil getting out into the unit? I'll need to send the Dem off to get it cleaned and resealed with Lucas but I don't know how the oil is getting into it! Wish is would stop giving problems as I love the old bus.Had many £££'s spent recently with bigger brakes,rollbars,intercooler,full exhaust,7 seat convertion,Volvo blinds,thermostat,new wheels and tyres (again) and lots of other bits and bobs.I'm loathed to walk away from it now.
Nice looking car, don't give up on it now.
It must be frustrating though.
Good luck with it.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 22:00   #26
wagonwheels

Cheers,its such a flawed complicated design that spoils the car .The similar system in the VAG cars isn't anywhere near as much hassle strangely.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 14:30   #27
100K+
Premier Member

Hi, I'm a bit confused as to where the oil leak is actually from. You say the Haldex, but then describe the DEM unit setup. I'm assuming its the DEM as I have no recollection/memory of any electrical components as you describe, other than the DEM on the Haldex.
If I'm correct, then the only way oil can get into the DEM is via either the pressure switch housing or the solinoid housing. I'd suspect the solinoid housing as it has an "O" ring seal, which I assume is an oil seal, which in your case could be damaged/missing. This would allow oil to pass into the "inside" section of the DEM. I'll then assume there is a passage way between the "inside section" and the "outside section" of the DEM. Once in the outside section of the DEM it then weeps out from the "renewed" seal that Lucas installed when he repairs the DEM electronics. ( hope you follow)
If i'm wrong lets know & I'll have another think.

Cheers

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haldex Housing LowRes 01.JPG (147.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Inside DEM Inner cavity LowRes 01.JPG (41.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 100K+; Apr 17th, 2017 at 14:53.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 15:07   #28
wagonwheels

Hi bob,yes you're right the oil has entered the DEM,sorry for the bad discription.Because the units been on and off so often I suspect one of the seals has been damaged.Strange thing I its been fine for months.Going to call the dealers tomorrow and order new seals.The Dem will then need to go off to Lukas again to get rebuilt (it still works fine) and reseal the unit.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 17:43   #29
100K+
Premier Member

Default Good Luck

I wish you the best of luck with that Stuart.
See below as to what the USA can get hold of.

http://www.jimellisvolvoparts.com/sh...rimLevel=20459

In my opinion, Item 5 is what you need, but for only the smaller of the 4 "o" rings. The other rings appear to be for the pump and filter, as are 4 screws +2 for the DEM. The metal plate which has the rubber seal all round the edge I do not think forms an oil tight seal around either the pressure valve or solenoid, and I suspect its merely a support for those components, but has a rubber seal so that there is not metal to metal contact. If the DEM is leaking oil from the external Black silicon/bitumen compound, I'd be telling Lucas and asking that he reseal the unit. If it had not been leaking oil, you would never have known that rain etc could get inside and reak havoc with the electronics.. until it failed.
IIRC his repairs are guaranteed 2yrs..
If you can measure the old "o" rings accurately you might be able to buy off of Web/ironmonger. I got a 42mmDia charge pipe "o" ring locally for 20p against Volvo approx. £5.00

Cheers
Bob

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 12:52   #30
wagonwheels

Took the DEM off today and cleaned it all,on removing the upper solenoid valve I noticed I was missing the final rubber seal on it.Ive swapped it out so many times that it must have dropped off and I've not noticed it on putting it back.New seal fitted and should be fine now.Still might need to send the DEM to Lucas to get checked though but no lights or errors.
1989 240glt
1994 940 d24