Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reconditioned engine

Views : 3378

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 15:33   #21
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
That's the thing...... D5244T ended in 2005 so is definitely not your engine code.
You will need a D5244T?? (??) denotes an additional single or double digit.

Your earlier claim that the engines are definitely the same still isn't reliable so if the engine supplier is as good as you say, they will very quickly be able to give you the exact engine code they have supplied you.
D5244T is all that's on the timing belt cover. So where can I find the missing 2 characters at the end?
Ed Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 15:35   #22
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
your original engine is a D5244T5 part number 6906074
Perfect, thanks.

Is it possible to trace the engine code from a part number alone? (New engine serial no. is 605086)
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 15:45   #23
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mac View Post
Perfect, thanks.

Is it possible to trace the engine code from a part number alone? (New engine serial no. is 605086)
I've just checked the timing belt cover: it says Part no: 6906074, Serial No: 668454 and then at the below D5244T.

The receipt from the scrap merchant just says 605086 - which from the above would seem to be the serial number rather than the part number. Unless the engine code is traceable from the serial no. I'll need either the reg number or vin number from the scrap merchant. I'll email them for the VIN.

I can't see the engine being a different code - everything else matched perfectly.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:22   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Perfect, thanks.

No easily no . can you see that part number on your original label ?
do you know the model year the "new" engine is from ? Do both cam position sensors look the same with same number ?
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:21   #25
Ed Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No easily no . can you see that part number on your original label ?
do you know the model year the "new" engine is from ? Do both cam position sensors look the same with same number ?
The car is at a garage - I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll have a look.

I have changed the cam sensor between the two after the cam position sensor error appeared - they are exactly the same
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:40   #26
cheshired5
Premier Member

Don't go changing any sensors.
Your engine code needs injector confirmation software installing when introducing new injectors to the ECM.
The software part number is 30785541

I would be doing that first before looking for any other solution.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 21:20   #27
Ed Mac

Quote:
Don't go changing any sensors.
Your engine code needs injector confirmation software installing when introducing new injectors to the ECM.
The software part number is 30785541

I would be doing that first before looking for any other solution.
That's interesting: I changed the cam sensor when the error first appeared, (from one engine to the other) thinking it was most likely a duff sensor. It seemed to work at first....but the fault re-appeared.

I also changed the crank sensor - purely because when I was mating the gearbox to the engine, I dropped the gearbox into place but accidentally caught the plastic housing of the sensor causing it to crack. Again, I changed them from one engine to the other - not sure if that makes a difference?

And the 'new' engine came with the original injectors (for that engine) and a few other ancillaries in place. Will those injectors need coded like you say?
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:35   #28
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
And the 'new' engine came with the original injectors (for that engine)....... Will those injectors need coded like you say?
Yes.
The injectors in the donor engine are new to your ECM so never been mated/coded to the ECM so you need to follow the procedure for replacing injectors which means a software download.
This is no guarantee that your engine will then start and run fine but it is a required procedure.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:56   #29
Ed Mac

Quote:
Yes.
The injectors in the donor engine are new to your ECM so never been mated/coded to the ECM so you need to follow the procedure for replacing injectors which means a software download.
This is no guarantee that your engine will then start and run fine but it is a required procedure.
Thanks for that - I'll get that done. Is there any other bits needing re-coded? (Injector pump??)
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 12:12   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for that - I'll get that done. Is there any other bits needing re-coded? (Injector pump??)
Not that I'm aware of.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: