Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Less than 1000 XC40 build slots left...

Views : 3356

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2018, 19:06   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Default Less than 1000 XC40 build slots left...

So I was talking with one of my friends about him ordering a Volvo Xc40, he has tested the car and likes it but is not sure which model variant to get...what surprised me is that he has been told that Volvo have just less than 1000 build spots left for the Xc40 this year for the UK market, which means if he’s not quick it’s going to be 2019 before his car would arrive...

Anyone else heard this or is it marketing BS? The dealer also said a similar thing about the XC60 and that is why deliveries are being delayed, essentially no spare production...
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 20:28   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
So I was talking with one of my friends about him ordering a Volvo Xc40, he has tested the car and likes it but is not sure which model variant to get...what surprised me is that he has been told that Volvo have just less than 1000 build spots left for the Xc40 this year for the UK market, which means if he’s not quick it’s going to be 2019 before his car would arrive...

Anyone else heard this or is it marketing BS? The dealer also said a similar thing about the XC60 and that is why deliveries are being delayed, essentially no spare production...
This is correct, my dealer mentioned last week they are selling so fast that current orders now have a Nov delivery date.............
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 08:49   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Oh dear! That sounds like it might justify a general price rise soon, to dampen demand a bit.

It might help sales of RR Evoque of course, which is a viable alternative, which would still be good for Volvo but also good for Landrover

Last edited by Quacker; Apr 16th, 2018 at 08:52.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 16:05   #4
GuidoBrunetti

The Jaguar E-Pace is also a very attractive alternative, or it would be if it wasn't so heavy and as a consequence doesn't ride very well according to those who have driven it. But then the Evoque is built on the same very old Ford derived platform, and therefore equally overweight, but that doesn't stop it selling in big numbers at scary prices. When you compare the pricing of the XC40 against the E-Pace for similarly spec'ed models it's clear someone has got their pricing strategy way out.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 17:12   #5
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
The Jaguar E-Pace is also a very attractive alternative, or it would be if it wasn't so heavy and as a consequence doesn't ride very well according to those who have driven it. But then the Evoque is built on the same very old Ford derived platform, and therefore equally overweight, but that doesn't stop it selling in big numbers at scary prices. When you compare the pricing of the XC40 against the E-Pace for similarly spec'ed models it's clear someone has got their pricing strategy way out.
Went to the launch of the E Pace last year and thought it was a decent but not exceptional car, dubious electronics as per the F Pace, but seriously over priced for what it was, some of the display models were heading for £50k for a 2.0d 4 pot or 4 pot petrol.
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 17:31   #6
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Oh dear! That sounds like it might justify a general price rise soon, to dampen demand a bit.

It might help sales of RR Evoque of course, which is a viable alternative, which would still be good for Volvo but also good for Landrover
LR need all the help they can get now - and I would strongly advise anyone against buying an Ewok, it suffers from the many of the same issues as the ludicrously overpriced and woefully engineered DS (I can say that as I ditched mine a couple of months ago - full details of the various DS woes on their forum). Also bear in mind the Ewok is pretty cramped and much much smaller than an XC40
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 17:57   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
LR need all the help they can get now - and I would strongly advise anyone against buying an Ewok, it suffers from the many of the same issues as the ludicrously overpriced and woefully engineered DS (I can say that as I ditched mine a couple of months ago - full details of the various DS woes on their forum). Also bear in mind the Ewok is pretty cramped and much much smaller than an XC40
However the DS is arguably one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Didn't Charles de Gaulle have one as his official transport.?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 19:49   #8
Sceptre123

Ahhh the beautiful DS (Yes I thought so too!). These must be words from someone who hasn't owned one!

Having been at the mercy of awful dealers and terrible attitude by LR customer service, I can assure you that they get less beautiful!!!
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 21:43   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
Ahhh the beautiful DS (Yes I thought so too!). These must be words from someone who hasn't owned one!

Having been at the mercy of awful dealers and terrible attitude by LR customer service, I can assure you that they get less beautiful!!!
I have never owned one, but have always wanted to since I was a kid. Problem is that they are so very rare now that it is difficult to find a good one without it costing big bucks. Apparently the thing to do is find one in France and import it but even then there aren't so many about now....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 22:25   #10
Belmont84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I have never owned one, but have always wanted to since I was a kid. Problem is that they are so very rare now that it is difficult to find a good one without it costing big bucks. Apparently the thing to do is find one in France and import it but even then there aren't so many about now....
I doff my hat sir or as the French say chapeau
Belmont84 is offline   Reply With Quote