Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant loss? Changing heater control valve tricky? 940

Views : 9321

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2009, 19:21   #11
ian2000t
Premier Member

Well done... was just testing you!!

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 19:47   #12
TonyS9
Premier Member

I've changed this before, easy to see what needs to be done, can be a bit tricky for large hands and human joints that only go one way ;-)

Make sure you don't over tighten hose clip. Mine would never shut properly, ie heater was always a little warm, and it seemed to be caused by the previous owner/mechanic had over tightened their jubilee clip on the inside. Warped the whole body so it didn't close completely when off.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 23:44   #13
timofthomas

TonyS9 would that work the other way too? I have a different looking valve on my 740 (will get a shot tomorrow if it's not raining) and I can never get it to both open fully and stay open so as a consequence I have a freeeeeeezing car! (wouldn't be so bad if the driver's side heated seat worked but I've only had it do so randomly once!)
timofthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 20:07   #14
yoda960
Volvo 960

Just been attempting the heater control valve today and what a ridiculous job Still haven't got the old one out yet. Took ages to take the clutch pedal and bracket off because of the location of the nuts, plus had to call it a day when taking the hose off from the engine bay side as I didn't have an extension bar/screwdriver long enough to undo the jubilee clip.

I did however manage to get the hose off that is next to the clutch pedal (i.e. the one that goes to the matrix).

Added to this, I took a look at the new valve I bought and noted that two clips on it have been snapped off so I will now have to wait for another to be delivered I hope they don't come funny about it and claim I did it. I took a photo of it still sealed as you can see the snapped off clip through the plastic

Are the seats easy to remove? I think it might be a bit easier with it removed, more space...
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 18:51   #15
yoda960
Volvo 960

Finally managed to get it sorted today, got the old valve out, replaced it (which was tricky - I left the bracket in place as the cables were connected to it) and refilled with some fresh antifreeze/water 50/50 mix. Sure enough, the valve was crusty round the edges where it had been seeping so fingers crossed its just that and not the heater matrix as well!

Need to take her on a good run now to see whether it is properly fixed and the hoses are on snug/don't leak, though I did do the jubilee clips up nice and firm

I washed the carpet and foam and sound deadening stuff in the bath last night with washing powder and used some decent fabric softner when wrinsing them out, so nice and clean and smell fab now lol. I won't replace the carpet for a while though, just to make sure everythng is in working order.

Thanks for the tips everyone, i'd be clueless if it wasn't for you guys!

Cheers,

Yoda960
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:18   #16
timofthomas

just in time too - Brrrrrr!
timofthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 17:31   #17
LNM

Persil meadow fresh ?
LNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 17:45   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthomas View Post
TonyS9 would that work the other way too? I have a different looking valve on my 740 (will get a shot tomorrow if it's not raining) and I can never get it to both open fully and stay open so as a consequence I have a freeeeeeezing car! (wouldn't be so bad if the driver's side heated seat worked but I've only had it do so randomly once!)
I Don't know, but I guess its possible. I presume the heater control won't go all the way, mine had no restrictions, just the valve didn't seal inside. I also assume that the temp gauge is showing normal (stuck open thermostat can be pretty cold in the winter). Could also be sedement.

Heated seat switches usually go, both my 940 ones have, although could also be the seat thermostat or matrix itself, gets alot of bum action!
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 22:44   #19
yoda960
Volvo 960

Coolant must have been getting through the edges of the valve - have attached a couple of pics of the culprit! Oh and a point of interest - the replacement bosch valve I got from euro car parts actually had Volvo stamped on it (i.e. identical to getting one from Volvo, but probably half the price! Thieving gits )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1924.JPG (146.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1925.JPG (136.6 KB, 39 views)
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 22:23   #20
Billybigballs

Default 940 Automatic Coolant leak

Hi. I'm new to the Forum, but need some advice please. I have just bought a 1995 940 estate, and discovered a wet driver's carpet clearly antifreeze. Looking at some of the previous posts I am hoping it's the valve, and not the matrix. There is mention of removing the clutch if the car's a manual, but is the job easier or not on my auto?
Any help appreciated thanks!
Billybigballs is offline   Reply With Quote