Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

automatic gearbox problems

Views : 58868

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 13:03   #61
blueacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTR View Post
Some photos would be very helpful - thanks a lot.
I did take some, but not quite as many as I originally intended! Will upload them soon!
blueacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 17:37   #62
psimmo

Default 2006 xc 70 deltronics autobox problem

Hi,

135000 miles on clock and just started to clunk on changing down from 2 to 1 and 1 to neutral, but does it best when I immediately apply accelerator and change back up from neutral to 1 or 1 to 2. Only happens occasionally. Its as if the gear changes aren't happening fast enough and its catching up with a bump.

Gearbox oil level fine, oil clean.
Any ideas?
psimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 10:35   #63
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

These boxes suffer from undercooling.
Even older P1 models have issues (although) to a far lesser extent. Forget the Volvo dictum that aux coolers are for towing only. They are only interseted in warranty mileages, and almost all these boxes are good for warranty mileage. So these boxes have no problems. Read that again.
These are 'Sealed for Life' This doe not mean 'Sealed for Life'. It means 'Sealed for Life'... the life of Volvo's liability. So... these boxes have no problems, because any Volvo customer won't own them at this point. If you were a Volvo customer you would not be reading this? You would have a newer car long since. Hence you are NOT a Volvo owner. I am fed-up of hearing whining as though Volvo owe some of you something - they do not.

All, yes ALL need coolers if you intend to do real miles. The 2001-2003 cars if flushed early and fitted with coolers rarely see problems. If it has not been left too late, a flush and an aux cooler will often cure the issues before they happen or stop them getting worse.

Cooling sufficient for warranty mileage is the issue here. ATF undercooled is good for 50,000, easily, maybe 70,000. After that it starts to hit the box, but not immediately. By the time the old ATF slowly reels the box in, we see the sobbing in this thread.

Hot ATF is the killer of autoboxes. Period. Leave it too long and burnt ATF causes more heat which causes more wear which causes more heat.

You want proof of this?
1) The 2001-2003 if not left until it is too late only sees flaring from cold when the ATF is shot.
2) The 2001-2003 if not left until it is too late only sees flaring after 10-15 mins when good ATF has got too hot, or when the damge form 1) has already been done.

The issue with this box is that it fails to cope with burnt ATF for more than 30-40,000 miles. Come on... no one found whinging about their box dipped their ATF and found it still pink.

So... Flush. Fit an aux cooler. Or cry some rubbish about Volvo, when the real issue is about not flushing the ATF at about 50,000 (as Toyota do on other cars with this box) before old worn and overheated ATF trashes you box. Or be a Volvo customer, and follow the dictum, 'Sealed for Life', hence fit a cooler for towing only, because you're in warranty and getting new car next year anyway. Hence, I repeat, these boxes have no problems.

You have this car for your self-interset, not Volvo's. If you break away from the delusion that you are a Volvo customer (you are not) you might then see the point made here.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 18th, 2016 at 11:18.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 11:29   #64
blueacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimmo View Post
Hi,

135000 miles on clock and just started to clunk on changing down from 2 to 1 and 1 to neutral, but does it best when I immediately apply accelerator and change back up from neutral to 1 or 1 to 2. Only happens occasionally. Its as if the gear changes aren't happening fast enough and its catching up with a bump.

Gearbox oil level fine, oil clean.
Any ideas?
Hmm, mine too. I'm going to try another oil refresh; although since your symptoms started two years ago - any advice on how things went?
blueacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 00:02   #65
Richardkimber

Unhappy V70 D5 Unexpected sealed battery electrolite leak

Removed, sorry

Last edited by Richardkimber; Oct 19th, 2016 at 00:08. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 13:24   #66
sonya

Unhappy Manual Gearbox Broken Volvo V40 D2

Hello, I have Volvo V40 D2 1.6 Manual 6SP, a couple of days ago my gearbox broke and in the service, they told me that I have to change it because they found metal parts in the oil...
Could you please tell me if something like that happened to you as well...
However, I am in a very difficult position because I am a student and it is really expensive to change the gearbox and the gearbox itself it's very expensive. I am trying to find a used one but it is also very difficult...
Also, if you know any websites or people who are selling parts of cars will be helpful. Thank you very much!
sonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 13:46   #67
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Well...
This particular thread seems to be about automatic gearboxes.

My personal knowledge about manual gearboxes is not sufficient to help you directly, but I'll try "the other way around":

Get info ready about your car.

Model (V40)
Year (you didn't mention and its very important)
Mileage of your car (also important)
And any other detail you can think if, that relates even remotely to gearbox: how long did you have car, where/how did you get it (private sale or dealer), any known service history, especially anything about gearbox/drivetrains.

When you have that ready, open new thread, either in section related to your car, that can be found in the listing here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Or in " general Volvo discussions"

This will give you much, much better chance of getting the answers to your query than leaving your question here.

Don't forget to give as many (technical) details of the car (mentioned above) as you can. If you won't, you'll be asked anyway.

Good luck.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote