Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56315

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:12   #101
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the boost gauge is tapped into the pipe just before the air egr mixer, gauge induction buzz is common on turbo diesels as they dont throttle on air so i will fit a inline fuel filter
the vac gauge is tapped into the pipe from the out port of the TCG to the turbo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij231VA3tX0
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:17.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:15   #102
colzak

Aye Fred, glad your still viewing your thread, which is great,,,,,I must of spent a good hour trying to remove the loose turbo unit out
of the car, the turbo seemed to nearly extract from the boonet side, disconnecting injector plugs for more room,,,but then I contemplated using a hydraulic jack to move the engine more towards the front of the car, but was anxious if the engine mountings would take the strain so that was the deciding factor for me personally,,,once the exhaust down pipe was removed I had plenty room for removal,,,wish i could of taken the unit out the top though lol,,,
colzak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 14:34   #103
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60KSX View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for an informative and well-illustrated post, which has given me the confidence to strip and clean my turbo if all else fails in solving my ECM 6805.

In your case, nothing was broken in the turbo. Have heard cases where the vane ring is cracked, which is then a head-scratcher in terms of getting spare components.

Great post, well done. Will be keeping an eye on this to see if you report any problems when you`ve done more miles. Thanks again.
Thanks !

For broken parts, Bernard333 also suggested ring can be sometimes broken in a previous post, so of course it can happens. Now I remember that "Clan" also said that a non sticking rod means nothing in term of good working order, and he was definetly right...

One of my first thought when diagnosis led me to the turbo was to remove the clip that secures the arm to the lever to check for sticky vanes without the force of the actuator but it's a very tight fit and I was scared to break or lose it.

Did you have a vacuum check as Mike and I did to compare figures ?
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 14:44   #104
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by colzak View Post
Aye Fred, glad your still viewing your thread, which is great,,,,,I must of spent a good hour trying to remove the loose turbo unit out
of the car, the turbo seemed to nearly extract from the boonet side, disconnecting injector plugs for more room,,,but then I contemplated using a hydraulic jack to move the engine more towards the front of the car, but was anxious if the engine mountings would take the strain so that was the deciding factor for me personally,,,once the exhaust down pipe was removed I had plenty room for removal,,,wish i could of taken the unit out the top though lol,,,
Haynes manual says "remove the exhaust front section and extract the turbo through the transmission tunnel", but the two bolts on the rear section of the exhaust were somewhat rusted, so I just tried different ways and it payed...

I also thought about the use of a jack just in case a fraction of an inch gain was needed to have the turbo out !
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 20:25   #105
colzak

Thumbs up

With the cleaned turbo fitted, and dark night decended,,went for a test drive,,,,,and,,,,,,,,, I,m really impressed with the differance,,,smooth power and acceleration up to 3500rpm,(will push a bit more tommorow when it,s light),,more bottom end grunt and best of all,,no limp home mode set at 2500rpm, I was really convinced my turbo vanes had no issues,,but seems they like to be tottaly grit free and grit free they are and the car likes it,,,,,,,a lot.

Sooty smoke is still there, but i,m going to give this car the spirited drive to work that i know this engine will lap up and see if the smoke dissipates,,,

Can,t stress how glad i am that i did this,, well worth the spanner rashes and oily hair,lol,,,Mike, Fred and all Volvo d5 owners,,,,,,, I salute you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 21:12   #106
fgx318

Quote:
With the cleaned turbo fitted, and dark night decended,,went for a test drive,,,,,and,,,,,,,,, I,m really impressed with the differance,,,smooth power and acceleration up to 3500rpm,(will push a bit more tommorow when it,s light),,more bottom end grunt and best of all,,no limp home mode set at 2500rpm, I was really convinced my turbo vanes had no issues,,but seems they like to be tottaly grit free and grit free they are and the car likes it,,,,,,,a lot.

Sooty smoke is still there, but i,m going to give this car the spirited drive to work that i know this engine will lap up and see if the smoke dissipates,,,

Can,t stress how glad i am that i did this,, well worth the spanner rashes and oily hair,lol,,,Mike, Fred and all Volvo d5 owners,,,,,,, I salute you.
Yeah !!!! That's good news !!! I'm really glad for you... It's so rewarding to have the job done right by yourself !

Maybe the smoke is not big issue, before my car went into limp mode under every acceleration, it smoked at WOT and if transmission kickdowned then it smoke pretty badly. Driving slowly during weeks to avoid limp mode I guess exhaust system "got sooted". A few "run it as you stole it" rides should clean this up, that's what happened to my car, it doesn't smoke at all, even at WOT kickdowns... You may have some problems elsewhere but I bet you're done and that's everething's fine now ! Let's hope !

I left my hands, hair, face oil / soot stains to remind me that I did a great job !
The Following User Says Thank You to fgx318 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 13:17   #107
S60KSX

Yes fgx318, I did check the vacuum. There`s plenty of vacuum from the pump; with the Mity connected to the Out port (i.e. the hose to the turbo arm actuator) and going for a drive, the vacuum was decreasing and doing what is should do, but as soon as Limp Mode engaged, the vacuum was stuck fast at about 5inches hg (12.5cm), and stayed there until Limp Mode disappeared. Even droppping the clutch and giving it a blast of revs made no difference.

I don`t know whether this indicates a sticky turbo ring, or whether the ECM was telling the Turbo valve to limit the vacuum to 5 inches.

I`ve also been getting ECM6800 (signal too high/too low) as well as 6805, and Clan has suggested investigating the 6800, because it could be causing the 6805. So I will save for a diagnostic at main dealer before I strip and clean the turbo. Its intermittent, not permanent fault, which makes it harder.........
S60KSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 17:27   #108
fgx318

Hi S60KSX,
Yes vacuum is non existant when limp mode engaged, this means no vac to the turbo and low air flow on the compressor wheel.
Having a diag done by dealer is your best bet, good luck, just keep us inform...
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 19:28   #109
colzak

The car revs right up to 4500rpm without complaints,,although still sooty after an 80mile round trip...but definitely better..in performance,,

I,m thinking this car has other issues though as the engine sounds rattley,,aspecially when flooring the accelerator pedal,,but even on tickover it sounds tappety/rattley...like a london taxi..I can only think that my next step is to check the injectors with a leak off test...not quite as mucky a job as the turbo too Fred lol

To anyone thinking of taking their turbo off for a clean, remember that the cost is only your own time, (bout 12 hours for me)and the price of new gaskets or in my case exhaust jointing paste. The only fiddly bit I experienced was the oil feed union on top of the turbo, which has 2 copper washers, above and below the union, ..and found the bolt a little fiddly to relocate...keep the oil feed pipe clamp loose until fixed.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 19:40   #110
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
The car revs right up to 4500rpm without complaints,,although still sooty after an 80mile round trip...but definitely better..in performance,,

I,m thinking this car has other issues though as the engine sounds rattley,,aspecially when flooring the accelerator pedal,,but even on tickover it sounds tappety/rattley...like a london taxi..I can only think that my next step is to check the injectors with a leak off test...not quite as mucky a job as the turbo too Fred lol

To anyone thinking of taking their turbo off for a clean, remember that the cost is only your own time, (bout 12 hours for me)and the price of new gaskets or in my case exhaust jointing paste. The only fiddly bit I experienced was the oil feed union on top of the turbo, which has 2 copper washers, above and below the union, ..and found the bolt a little fiddly to relocate...keep the oil feed pipe clamp loose until fixed.
you should be able to do mine in 6 then