Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56381

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2012, 01:54   #121
R-P
Master Member

Great thread! I had decided that cleaning the turbo-vanes was next on the list to solve my ongoing issues. And then I found this...

Read up on it on VAG (VW) forums, where someone claimed his boost kicks in at 900rpm. For me a good clue I shouldn't settle for mine kicking in at 1800rpm...

So my question: what should I get before starting? Copper washers for the oil-connection? Seal for the exhaustmanifold?

What is the torque setting for the bolts?

Thanks!

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 16:47   #122
anaml2

Hia all, my first post on this top site, ive been haveing same problems with my 2003 d5 thats got 299866 miles on its back after changeing lots of things i saw this and took my turbo off for a clean, im going to refit it tonight and take it for a run in the morning ill post results, everthing crossed and touch wood !
anaml2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 17:00   #123
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaml2 View Post
Hia all, my first post on this top site, ive been haveing same problems with my 2003 d5 thats got 299866 miles on its back after changeing lots of things i saw this and took my turbo off for a clean, im going to refit it tonight and take it for a run in the morning ill post results, everthing crossed and touch wood !
300K?! Thats impressive mileage

Good luck with the turbo clean mate
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 17:29   #124
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes indeed good luck why did you take the turbo off.and if it was easy you can do mine
mike
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 23:47   #125
anaml2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
yes indeed good luck why did you take the turbo off.and if it was easy you can do mine
mike
hia, after reading what fgx318 put on about cleaning his turbo and geting good results, it took me about 3 hrs to take it off because of the lower nut on the turbo to down pipe and where the front pipe joins the back they were rusted on so i cut them off, when i split the turbo and messed about with it you could tell it was sticking so hopefully it should be ok when put back together, the best thing for cleaning it is mr muscle oven cleaner but do not get it on the alloy bits. just noticed your in wakefield
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 14:26   #126
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaml2 View Post
just noticed your in wakefield

Why do you think he posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
and if it was easy you can do mine
mike

Regards,
R-P
(unfortunately NOT in Wakefield)

PS please post your findings. Still not sure I should take it off... have no cleaning stuff, no replacement washers, no ramp to put the car on, etc.

Last edited by R-P; Apr 19th, 2012 at 14:28.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 15:46   #127
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

nice one R P ill get a volunteer yet.
mike

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 23:44   #128
anaml2

Talking

Hia all, got the turbo back on then started the engine and what a suprise, revs alot quicker so off i went on a test run got up to 4k in third when normally limp mode kicks in , went past that right up to top gear and all ok, no more loud whistleing or dump valve sound, ive now done 48 miles and the car goes better than it as ever since i bought it.
The Following User Says Thank You to anaml2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 00:31   #129
Rebrabuk

Excellent thread to read, thanks to all who have contributed thus far!

I'm currently having Limp Mode / Engine Service Required messages appearing on almost every drive, which seems to occur when the engine is under load. The fault has been intermittent for the last 12 months, having 'gone away' for a large period of that! Since it's now back with a vengeance and occurs during every journey, i need to do something about it. Generally i have to turn the ignition off to get the car to return to normal again, although a couple of times it has returned to normal and the DIM message has disappeared without the need for ignition restart.

The car is '53 and on 145k miles, so i figure even if it's not the cause, it'll be good to have the turbo cleaned up.. Right?

When cold, the turbo noise is very apparent. As the cars gets to operating temperature, the turbo is less audible and car feels rather sluggish.

I've had codes read, which comes up with the following;
P0088
P0102
P0112
P0244 (this is the one that lead me to this thread)

I don't have any of the pressure testing equipment, nor am i familiar enough with the specific points to get any test results. But i'm quite handy with spanners and the descriptions posted by others suggest it is relatively easy to get the turbo off, so i'm tempted to dive right in.

However, my question is which seals/gaskets are required to be replaced during this procedure?
Rebrabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 13:21   #130
JohnL

I've been very interested in this post too.
Did anybody who has taken their turbo off taken a measurement or how far the actuator rod moves, with full vacuum to no vacuum?
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote