Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56443

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2011, 18:31   #41
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
going on the figures that you have said is the VAC pump giving you enough vac, so your friends car is producing 35 hg at 2500 rpm
mike
Yes it's producing 35-40hg @2500 rpm and mine 10hg @2500 rpm.

According to my second video figures are 10hg @2500 rpm

To the question is the vac pump giving you enough vac I would say yes because I checked the vac straight out of the vac pump and it produces ~65hg from idle to 3000 rpm.

Decreasing or increasing of the vacuum is controlled by the turbo control governor which is bolted to the engine.

Mine is brand new but my question is "does it work properly ?!"

Actually the TCG behaves as if it almost totally stops vacuum from the vac pump but it should allows at least 35hg, from the constant 65hg provided by the vac pump, to feed the vacuum regulator on the turbo.

Does it make sense to you ? Am I right regarding the purpose of the TCG ?

Mike you spend a lot of time trying to give me a hand on this and I would undertand if it does bother you...

Thanks
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 19:15   #42
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

just to recap.
vac pump is okay.
no leaks at engine pads and the tcv on the air box is doing what it should.
you have fitted a new TCG at the engine block but not getting enough vac at the turbo you point out that it maybe reducing vac.
was the old TCG faulty have you still got that as spare.
this pic explains how it should work
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo2.JPG (181.2 KB, 44 views)
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 19:20   #43
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
just to recap.
vac pump is okay.
no leaks at engine pads and the tcv on the air box is doing what it should.
you have fitted a new TCG at the engine block but not getting enough vac at the turbo you point out that it maybe reducing vac.
was the old TCG faulty have you still got that as spare.
this pic explains how it should work
mike
I still got the old TCG but it's leaking so I can't use it...
I was looking at this picture 15mn ago to explain a workmate how it works and this is definitly what leads me to this problem.. Thanks
I'm workiing and got to go, be back later...
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 20:11   #44
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the friend that dropped by could you not ask to use his just to test if you feel that your TCG is not working as it should .
mike
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 20:15   #45
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i have lost it for the moment, it would appear that the TCG is not allowing 30 hg or there abouts to the turbo.is the vac pipe trapped that goes to the turbo ,what i would do is put in another vac pipe from the TCG to the turbo if you still have the same fault then it must be the TCG, i hope that i leading you in the right direction

mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Sep 13th, 2011 at 20:25.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 13:35   #46
fgx318

Mike,
Right, the TCG just can't keep 30-35hg and the hose from there to turbo is leakproof, so my guess is a another new TCG is needed. I order one this afternoon and keep you inform as soon as I get it installed... I do really think that you lead me in the right direction, you did a great great job so far, you're the man ! Thank you very much indeed ! See you soon...
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 14:57   #47
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

fingers crossed Fred, have you fitted the new pipe yet.
mike
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 15:39   #48
fgx318

Not yet, just received it today and I'm now at work. Will have it fit asap but apart from helping to breath, it won't fix until new TCG is connected. I'm eager to have it fixed and yes "fingers crossed" !
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 22:51   #49
fgx318

Blimey ! A new direction ! Just before placing my order, I had an idea, just in case... The last part after the TCG is the turbo vacuum regulator, so I decided to, just in case, check the vacuum on the "out" port of the TCG and not connect the turbo regulator, and guess what, my TCG works perfectly, vacuum decrease from 65 to 35 hg @2500rpm and don't drop lower !!#@!! Arrrghhhh !!!
I go berzerk !

As soon as I connect the regulator back in the system, vacuum drops to 5hg @2500 rpm.

The regulator doesn't leak, and why it would leak when it reaches 35hg ? Is there pressure build up inside the turbo that force the arm against the regulator or forcing in some directions ?

However, if the regulator is knackered the turbo is to be replaced...

How epic is this !?
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 23:43   #50
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgx318 View Post
Blimey ! A new direction ! Just before placing my order, I had an idea, just in case... The last part after the TCG is the turbo vacuum regulator, so I decided to, just in case, check the vacuum on the "out" port of the TCG and not connect the turbo regulator, and guess what, my TCG works perfectly, vacuum decrease from 65 to 35 hg @2500rpm and don't drop lower !!#@!! Arrrghhhh !!!
I go berzerk !

As soon as I connect the regulator back in the system, vacuum drops to 5hg @2500 rpm.

The regulator doesn't leak, and why it would leak when it reaches 35hg ? Is there pressure build up inside the turbo that force the arm against the regulator or forcing in some directions ?

However, if the regulator is knackered the turbo is to be replaced...

How epic is this !?
thats good news,so it sounds as though your vnt is sticking or jammed.not so good news if you need a new turbo just for your info the 35 hg is correct from the out port on the TCG.
mike

mike