Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Say hello to Olga the 144

Views : 8688

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 08:55   #1
john h
VOC Member

Smile Say hello to Olga the 144

Hi,

Yesterday I became the proud owner of Olga, the latest addition to my fleet.

1970 144S 2.0, manual with overdrive
1 owner
66,000 miles

She hasn't been driven for 10 years, so I have a lot of recommissioning to do before she's on the road. Brakes are seized, but the engine turns easily.

On the plus side, the car was only used for summer touring holidays, so the bodywork is nice. Very little rust.

And I absolutely love the red interior!

I'll post more updates as I bring her back to usable condition.

That's all for now, more soon.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 10:34   #2
windaelicker88

Great Find...
windaelicker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to windaelicker88 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 13:36   #3
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Very nice indeed, especially the overdrive twin carb bit! Yes, I'm green! 😀
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 21:02   #4
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Oooh!

That's a fine machine. Early 140s are great. Mine's a bit later, 69/70 I think, has the same grille but a bonded screen.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 18:53   #5
adrdyebawtru

Love this! Look forward to updates
Adrian
adrdyebawtru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adrdyebawtru For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 22:55   #6
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Just noticed it's got the later front panel with the vertical vents. I'd be intetested how that works with the bumper brackets and marrying up to the wings, as mine's rotten and early panels are near impossible to find, unlike the vented ones.
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 00:55   #7
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Easy improvement

You have the B20B manifold with the secondary butterflies. Consider getting a late B18 manifold with twin downpipes but without the nasty emission control stuff. This reduces the chances of air leaks and it'll run much better. It's pretty much a straight swap.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:45   #8
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
You have the B20B manifold with the secondary butterflies. Consider getting a late B18 manifold with twin downpipes but without the nasty emission control stuff. This reduces the chances of air leaks and it'll run much better. It's pretty much a straight swap.
Thanks, yes I was looking at that yesterday.

If I want to keep it looking original, but running better, could I just remove the secondary butterflies from inside the manifold?

John

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 23:38   #9
john h
VOC Member

Hi,

Some progress with Olga.

She is still in the previous owner's garage in Prestatyn. I went for a day last week to start the recommissioning, by removing parts to be replaced or repaired at my workshop.

The engine looks clean inside, virtually no condensation rust.

I put some freeing-off oil down the bores and lifters, and left it to soak. The engine isn't siezed, but I won't try to start it until we have the preparation done.

I changed the oil and filter. I am using 10w40 for the initial start-up - a little thinner to help oil get around the engine and to wash out any sludge that may be in there. Having said that, the old oil which I drained out looked fairly good, so I am optimistic that the oil ways are ok.

Once the engine has been run up to temperature I'll change oil and filter again, swapping to 15w50.

I removed the carbs for cleaning and new seals

I have refurbished the carb heat shields

I removed the rubber fuel pipes (all will be replaced) and drained all the old fuel from the tank and pipes. It was clean looking with no debris.

I brought home the fuel pump for cleaning and testing. It's very healthy so will be refitted.

With the addition of a couple of in line fuel filters, a non-return valve and some fresh petrol, the fuel system should be good.

I'm replacing everything on the ignition system except the distributor.

As yet, I can't get access to the left rear wheel, but for the other three wheels, I removed the calipers (siezed), discs, pads and flexi-pipes. I also removed the master cylinder. All will be replaced.

There is some surface rust in the engine bay from leaked brake fluid below the master cylinder

I painted the non-wearing parts of the new discs to reduce rusting

The car was driven to a show 10 years ago, after it had been standing 5 years. This seems to have been done with no preparation, because it looks as though binding front brakes have burnt the grease in the hubs and damaged the bearings. I'll replace the bearings before we drive her.

The radiator is currently being re-cored. I have cleaned out the expansion bottle and fitted a new cap. I'll fit a new thermostat.

The water pump sounds and feels alright. I'm hoping it will last a few weeks, until I do a refresh on the front of the engine. I want to fit new oil seals and an alloy timing gear, new bottom pulley (see below) as well as a new water pump.

When I was working on Olga, I took some more bodywork photos. The usual 140/164 rust spot behind the bonnet hinges seems really good

The rear wheel-arches and spare wheel wells are amazingly good for a 47 year old Volvo

The sills are fairly good, but a couple of the doors have some rust on the lower seam

There is some evidence of a front-end bump early in the car's life. I'll investigate that more when she is home.

The rear shock absorber mounts seem good (although I think the left side reinforcing plate might have some rust on its front edge).

In general, Olga seems to have lovingly cared for, but in contrast there are a few examples of very shonky work.

She had three different types of spark plugs fitted, and a random selection of plug leads

The fan-belt fitted was too short, necessitating the alternator being pressed against the block. Of course. this would make the fan-belt very difficult to fit. Rather than get a longer belt, someone has butchered the bottom pulley to get the belt on...

Finally someone has tried to make a new exhaust, but it's a poor effort. It should last long enough to get the car MOT'd, but it will have to go pretty soon. The pipe over the axle is too low and will hit it on speed bumps.

While I was there, Jeanette (the widow of the original owner) dug out some photos of Olga on family holidays in the early 70's. Very nice to see this history

Jeanette remembers this photo, on Skye, very clearly because the fire brigade were on the way. If you look closely you can see the chimney of their holiday cottage is on fire!

That's all for today.

I am going to refit all the parts, and hopefully bring Olga home, on the weekend of 24/25th June, with friends Ellis and Ryan (HemiHusky on here) coming along to help.

Before then, there will be more preparation work to report on

Cheers

John

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 07:13   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Gratulation John, can't believe the good condition of Olga. The guy they did "work" last on the car are not in buisiness anymore, hopefully. Shame over them

good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: