Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti skid service required?!?

Views : 62388

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 19:10   #31
solaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhedges View Post
Don't forget to check the drive shaft bolts. They come loose and throw up the messages you are receiving. One of mine was missing, 3Euro later and the problem was fixed.
I feel all clever now so should say that I found that out from this forum, another huge saving thanks to our fellow Volvo drivers.
where is the drive shaft bolt located?
solaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 07:48   #32
nickhedges

Pop off the centre cap on the wheel and you should see it in the centre, if it's there check the tension, if not get a new one. I drove about 15000km with one missing, including some autobahn fun, before I found out what the problem was. The tell-tale sign for me (and Volvo Bedford who didn't notice) should have been that the centre cap was missing. It had been pushed out by the bolt!!!
nickhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 21:27   #33
batpb1

The position of the sensor to the castellated ring is critical. Had a similar problem and found that the ring had cracked across its width. It needs very careful inspection to spot it. The good news is that replacement rings are available on Ebay for £7.99
batpb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 20:24   #34
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Well the Anti Skid Service message was displayed on my S60 on Thursday for the first time. I have checked the driveshaft bolts and the abs rings and can find nothing wrong. Decided the only way forward is to have the Volvo dealer check the codes.
Any one with any updates?
Thanks
Jim
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 13:34   #35
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
Well the Anti Skid Service message was displayed on my S60 on Thursday for the first time. I have checked the driveshaft bolts and the abs rings and can find nothing wrong. Decided the only way forward is to have the Volvo dealer check the codes.
Any one with any updates?
Thanks
Jim
My recently acquired 2.0t, still under warranty, was displaying the 'Anti Skid Service Required' message perhaps one time in twenty after starting the engine. Stopping and starting the engine converted message to the "Anti Skid Temporarily Off' message, which disappeared after driving a few hundred yards, after which all would be fine for another day or two.

Having eliminated driveshaft bolts, I put it in to the dealer.

Outcome was new steering angle sensor which was undoubtably expensive but at least covered by warranty. I vaguely remember a recent post (by Clan?) suggesting that a software update might be tried first if diagnostics point to steering angle sensor?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 15:10   #36
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I have just got my car back and was told it is the number one brake pressure sensor, which they replaced along with a brake fluid change.
Just pleased it was fixed easily and promptly.
Jim
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:44   #37
neilaroberts

Default Fixed once, now back again 2 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpb1 View Post
The position of the sensor to the castellated ring is critical. Had a similar problem and found that the ring had cracked across its width. It needs very careful inspection to spot it. The good news is that replacement rings are available on Ebay for £7.99
I had this problem 2 years ago and read the forums. It went away when I jacked up, removed wheels, then wire brushed the castellated rings - lots of flakes (of rust?) came out, I presume they were confusing readings. I also removed and cleaned the sensors and holes.

It came up again this morning so I suspect cold fingers are in order next weekend.
neilaroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 23:22   #38
Simon865

just had this message come up today after my wifes nagging made me call into the local hand car wash for the first time and they used a jet wash on the wheels. could be a coincidence? see what the next few days bring
Simon865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 18:46   #39
Delight

Red face Anti skid service required

Got the above message for months until I solved it by the following:
Support front wheels on stands so u can easily turn steering wheel. Disconnect negative battery terminal. Remove driver's airbag, remove steering wheel. Behind steering wheel lies the clockspring and /or steering angle sensor.Turn it fully clockwise until it stops turning,making sure not to force it after it has stopped.

Count the number of complete turns it makes before it finally stops turning. Turn it anticlockwise say half the number of turns.The important thing to remember here is that u must turn it until it is at the one o'clock position. I had to try several times before getting it right.Put back the steering wheel and airbag and voila, nomore message! Remember to put ignition key to position II so that u don't get the airbag message! In brief, the reason your car gives u the antiskid service required message is because your steering wheel angle sensor is not correctly positioned.

Note that when u operate your left/right indicator stalks they automatically cut off when the wheels are straight, that's the work of steering angle sensor. Hope someone benefits from this thread, It didn't cost me any £ to do this, just time.
Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 19:05   #40
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

On the back of each hub carrier and between the drivesahft rubber belows (CV Joint boots) is a toothed wheel that gets full up with dust from the brakes, mud flicked up from the road and possibly mank after you've washed your wheels as above. They also deteriorate with corrosion and get flaky. At worst, they corrode so badly they break up. They're the ABS rings

It's a bit of a fiddly job to clean them up, but if bad, most certainly make the ABS ultra sensitive, make the cruise control erratic and/or make the ABS light come on

Mine were so bad they were broken up and my extremely superb and friendly Volvo workshop replaced for £108 labour plus parts. I bought genuine ABS rings (£31.50 ea) and driveshaft bolts £2.30 each). My CV Joint boots were looking poor so they changed those too. I refused to pay £45 for each genuine CV joint boot and paid £10 for non-genuine ones.

At that price and for the risk of pulling my driveshafts apart, it wasn't worth getting my hands dirty!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: