Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 300655

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 18:54   #1
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Default (and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Software Driven Electronics.

Most electronic main units on post 2000 model year cars once fitted and the software uploaded to them become chassis specific - in other words THEY WILL NOT WORK IN ANOTHER VEHICLE.

These include radio/stereo head units (AUM), CD players (IAM), self dipping rear view mirrors (UEM), speedo heads (DIM) and several others to name but a few.

The dealers cannot over write the software in these units. Also second hand integrated key fobs (KIR) cannot be re-programmed to another car even by the dealers. Although these need a software download to be programmed, the dealer also needs the two unique codes that are supplied with the original packaging for each remote. These codes are not kept on record.

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 19:00   #2
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

so all the time & effort making cars more enviromentally friendly emmission wise is nicely being counteracted by not being able to recycle components, instead any car written off in a crash is no good to anyone & has to be left to rot. Sound like a good plan to me
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 19:12   #3
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango View Post
so all the time & effort making cars more enviromentally friendly emmission wise is nicely being counteracted by not being able to recycle components, instead any car written off in a crash is no good to anyone & has to be left to rot. Sound like a good plan to me
But then from a theft point of view there's not much point in someone nicking the car for parts either ...

I'm sure there's an element of both to be honest. I'm also surprised at the list - why the rear view mirror but not the climate control unit for example? Or is it just 'cos it's not a complete list?

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 19:23   #4
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy View Post
But then from a theft point of view there's not much point in someone nicking the car for parts either ...

I'm sure there's an element of both to be honest. I'm also surprised at the list - why the rear view mirror but not the climate control unit for example? Or is it just 'cos it's not a complete list?
i agree with what your saying but SAAB use a similiar system (or did pre-vauxhall) but were quite happy for main dealers to "divorce" an item from a car & "marry" it to another for you. Its all about the money
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 19:29   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the rear view mirror is an "Upper electronic Module " as well so no good for another car.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:32   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I'll be sticking to my V90 and 940 then...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 22:44   #7
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Control units

No its not a complete list and the climate unit (CCM) would be another.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 13:01   #8
readview
Trader

Smile

Hi,i have fitted a used cd/radio/tape to an ex police V70 '01 that we had in and it worked without problem,i know a lot of the componentry is software driven as stated but it's not a hard and fast rule that nothing can be used,i have also used the climate control units and the window switches,although you cannot use only the master switch,if using secondhand you MUST use the full set from one vehicle,as close to your year as you can find to improve the chances of success.Rear view mirrors cannot be used at all,nor can the remotes,unless you need to "re-shell" a damaged housing.I get a lot of people asking to buy all manner of parts secondhand,etm's etc included,and i cannot believe that they buy the bits and then all just say "sod it" and throw them away.However,for ease of maintainance and cost of repair i'll be sticking to my 850T5's for as long as i can keep them running ! 235K and still blowing the baseball hats off chavs.Love it !!
readview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to readview For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 16:12   #9
BobS
Master Member

Hi Readview,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the Radio/CD unit I was told (can't verify as not change mine) that the Radio unit will fit and work but the Steering Wheel radio controls will not work. Any ex plod V70 that I have seen hasn't got these controls on the Steering Wheel.

Bob
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobS For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 19:21   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi Readview,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the Radio/CD unit I was told (can't verify as not change mine) that the Radio unit will fit and work but the Steering Wheel radio controls will not work. Any ex plod V70 that I have seen hasn't got these controls on the Steering Wheel.

Bob
And the display won't light up either
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote