Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75399

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 23:16   #21
tommyweaves
Premier Member

R-P, as others have already said, your post is excellent. I managed to disassemble the motor just as you described despite not having photos of those stages. (I managed to snap the wiper arm though as it was weakened through corrosion and well stuck on the spindle.)

I left the motor alone but opened up the gear housing which had a lot of debris in it. However I couldn't get the main nylon gear off its spindle to see the contacts underneath. It came part way off (about 3mm) but then seemed to have a "notch". Have I missed something?

Anyway, it had a good clean up and after re-assembly wiped ok but wouldn't park in the right place. I'm guessing this is due to contacts under the main gear wheel which I couldn't access. Any thoughts?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 21:46   #22
R-P
Master Member

As for the nylon wheel not coming off: I think I see a newer V70 (Would that be considered a Mk4? Mine's a Mk2 I guess) in your pic, so that *might* make the setup different.

But as I remember, it (the gearassembly) was simply kept together by the lid of the gear-box and the only thing I had trouble getting apart was the water-tube running from back to front of the whole gearhousing.

So afraid I cannot tell you why you can't get it disassembled any further...

And I haven't solved the not stopping in the correct position either (the tip of my wiper is about 1.5" too high too, goes down an inch first before going up and wiping the window), but it's close enough to know when to stop fiddling

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 21:55   #23
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
As for the nylon wheel not coming off: I think I see a newer V70 (Would that be considered a Mk4? Mine's a Mk2 I guess) in your pic, so that *might* make the setup different.

But as I remember, it (the gearassembly) was simply kept together by the lid of the gear-box and the only thing I had trouble getting apart was the water-tube running from back to front of the whole gearhousing.

So afraid I cannot tell you why you can't get it disassembled any further...

And I haven't solved the not stopping in the correct position either (the tip of my wiper is about 1.5" too high too, goes down an inch first before going up and wiping the window), but it's close enough to know when to stop fiddling
thanks for your post. The motor is the same as yours (it's not from the car in my pic). I'm of the same opinion as you, sometimes enough is enough!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 22:50   #24
R-P
Master Member

Found some possibly new pics that may still help (although enough might be enough )

There's the infamous spray nozzle in the left part of the pic covering the date "15" on the calendar.

And the 'brass' tube supplying the water to the spray nozzle sticking through the backplate of the gear-housing-lid.

I did just think you may not have been able to remove it due to the motor still being in place!!!

Last edited by R-P; Dec 23rd, 2010 at 22:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 20:23   #25
dandi80

hi guys!

I have the same problem with my v70. I have found the problem earlier than this page.
The problem is a simple mechanical damage. The white toothed weal has a worn part about 2cm long. At this point does the wiper stop and I hear a ticking noise. The repair would be easy if I would know from where I could get a white toothed weal to replace this one. I could not find a similar one in any catalog.

That was the story with my wiper....
dandi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dandi80 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 16:38   #26
kaiserwill

Was just wondering,

Will a motor for the rear wiper from a 2000/2001 v70 fit a 2003/2004 model

Cheers KW
kaiserwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:54   #27
ade555

I'm trying to find whats wrong with mine, I pull the motor out yesterday and it looks like is stuck, once you remove the metal casing you can spin the wiper and I'm talking about the motor casing where the bushes ect. are and not the casing where the plastic gear is, relay is clicking, washer is working so not sure what can be wrong, also when I dicided to strip the whole unit and fitted the coil in to the casing I could turn by hands is well so I was thinking is sorted baybe got a bit stuck, so I put the coil back in place then I put plastic part which have brushes on and back to the same problem you can't even turn by hand not sure if you would be able to understand what I'm saying but is this mean my motor is gone?
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 21:25   #28
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwill View Post
Was just wondering,

Cheers KW
It was changed from the wiper's resting position being to the left and then to the right. Or vice versa. And when it was changed exactly, I don't know.

I think it will fit, but I cannot promise this, as I am no expert. You might be able to find a working copy of VADIS somewhere and compare the ordering numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
I'm trying to find whats wrong with mine, I pull the motor out yesterday and it looks like is stuck, once you remove the metal casing you can spin the wiper and I'm talking about the motor casing where the bushes ect. are and not the casing where the plastic gear is, relay is clicking, washer is working so not sure what can be wrong, also when I dicided to strip the whole unit and fitted the coil in to the casing I could turn by hands is well so I was thinking is sorted baybe got a bit stuck, so I put the coil back in place then I put plastic part which have brushes on and back to the same problem you can't even turn by hand not sure if you would be able to understand what I'm saying but is this mean my motor is gone?
May be the language barrier, but I have a hard time visualising what you actually did, so here's some questions:
- can you spin the motor with ease once you remove the white wheel? I do not remember if you can even remove the white wheel without taking the motor apart, so if you can clarify this, that would also help (a few threads up I questioned this)
- did you take the motor apart completely?
- if so, did you thoroughly clean, rotate and lubricate the bearings of the shaft of the motor? They were most likely my main problem.

Last edited by R-P; Apr 21st, 2011 at 21:27.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 14:31   #29
Northgator8

Default Cautionary Tale

Wife's '06 exhibited this problem this past winter. (Canada - salt, snow, cold, therefore problem crops up earlier than elsewhere?)

Finally tackled it on Good Friday, since some sun finally showed up.

I didn't try the motor removal, since I was pretty sure it was shaft corrosion that was the culprit.
The only trick to removing the gear cover is to remove the electrical connector box from the case before sliding the cover off. Otherwise, there is not enough room to get the spray tube out without bending it.
Cleaned, greased (white lithium spray), bench-tested and back in within half an hour!
Upon reassembly and “field testing”, the arm was flopping around, back with my wrench for some additional tightening. Nut was “just about” where it needed to be when the threads snapped off the shaft and the rear glass exploded!
Wife not too pleased. . . . .
This “saving money on repairs thing” doesn’t seem to be working for her.
New glass is $430 Canadian (about 275 GBP today), but I have to wait 4 days for it to come from Montreal.
Dropped by my local “Independent Volvo Service” and discussed my issue and asked if anyone had had one replaced, since I only needed the internals. Turns out someone is coming in on Friday for a new one, and I can have the old for my experiments if they don’t want the old parts.
Northgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 14:36   #30
Northgator8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwill View Post
Was just wondering,

Cheers KW
KW, If you find an old one, just make sure you watch the shaft move and park before you put the wiper arm back on. If it parks on the left, put the arm on that way, so you are not clearing the rear door, rather than the window |>)

IIRC there is no special provision for the arm to park on (some vehicles do have a rest or stop for the arm when parked), so it shouldn't make any difference.

Good Luck (see my "Cautionary Tale" post)

NG8
Northgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote