Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 80668

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:09   #21
Rich2508

Am I safe to think that my March 2005 S60 Badged D5 but a 163bhp model does not have a DPF, and only started when the engine badging changed to 2.4D (163hp) and D5 (185hp) ?
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:17   #22
Rubic cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2508 View Post
Am I safe to think that my March 2005 S60 Badged D5 but a 163bhp model does not have a DPF, and only started when the engine badging changed to 2.4D (163hp) and D5 (185hp) ?
happy days you havent got one no me one less problem to worry about
Rubic cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:29   #23
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeurdude View Post
Strangely my average fuel consumption has gone up to 46.2 this last week with no appreciable difference in work/driving conditions!!
Probably the ambient temperature & longer daylight - In summer my mpg increases by 6.5% or 3.4 mpg compared with winter.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 18:37   #24
Bill_56
Premier Member

Sorry for going a bit quiet (phew! say some?), I've been away on a weeks holiday in sunny Spain.

I've had a response from my dealer. Volvo have point-blank refused to give him any information regarding the software 'upgrade'. I agreed with the dealer that I will now make a formal complaint to Volvo, explaining that all attempts to resolve the issue through the dealership have failed.

@Chauffeurdude, your mpg improvement sounds good, but I worry it could just be the silver lining that hides the cloud. As I speculated earlier, one way for Volvo to reduce diesel seepage to the sump would be to adopt a less aggressive regeneration algorithm, and less aggressive regeneration could easily equate to better mpg. But less aggressive regeneration may also mean less effective regeneration, and if that ends up in 'soot filter full' messages for cars that previously ran OK, I doubt whether many owners will be happy with it.

I will next make more determined effort, in writing, to get Volvo to 'come clean' on what they're doing. But no matter how much I niggle them, they are far more likely to act if they have a large number of stroppy customers, not just one. So, if you feel as strongly as I do, can I suggest you also write to Volvo...?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 18:45   #25
Bill_56
Premier Member

Sorry for going a bit quiet (phew! say some?), I've been away on a weeks holiday in sunny Spain.

I've had a response from my dealer. Volvo have point-blank refused to give him any information regarding the software 'upgrade'. I agreed with the dealer that I will now make a formal complaint to Volvo, explaining that all attempts to resolve the issue through the dealership have failed.

@Chauffeurdude, your mpg improvement sounds good, but I worry it could just be the silver lining that hides the cloud. As I speculated earlier, one way for Volvo to reduce diesel seepage to the sump would be to adopt a less aggressive regeneration algorithm, and less aggressive regeneration could easily equate to better mpg. But less aggressive regeneration may also mean less effective regeneration, and if that ends up in 'soot filter full' messages for cars that previously ran OK, I doubt whether many owners will be happy with it.

I will next make more determined effort, in writing, to get Volvo to 'come clean' on what they're doing. But no matter how much I niggle them, they are far more likely to act if they have a large number of stroppy customers, not just one. So, if you feel as strongly as I do, can I suggest you also write to Volvo...?

Last edited by Bill_56; May 22nd, 2010 at 18:48.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 18:48   #26
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
So, if you feel as strongly as I do, can I suggest you also write to Volvo...?
PS: Or, if you prefer, just hassle your dealer. Or write to Watchdog, or the AA, or whatever, just let's try and keep the pressure on them...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 19:08   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

The sudden evaporation of 100 miles from DTE is one of the most annoying aspects of DPF for me, as it makes the DTE computer laughably unreliable.
if you understand the concept of "miles to zero" and WHY it goes up and down in everyday driving , its easy to see why this drops then comes back after a regeneration ...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 19:26   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
With software upgrades Nobody except the factory in sweden know exactly what they do , so don't blame the dealer they can only do what the factory ask , they are trying to cure your problem so on your side . ... i would imagine even volvo UK technical dept dont know every aspect of exactly what it does , however they will know a bit more than the dealer .. I dont think the factory would release intimate details of their software to anyone outside the factory ..
You should only complain after they have exhausted all avenues and the engine oil keeps rising ...

There are 3 stages to this recall .

1 , the oil level is checked , if it is between 65% and 100% full there is no action ,

2 If it is higher than full it is drained to 65% on the dipstick graduation , the software upgrade is carried out and you are given a letter explaining to keep an eye on the level every 1000 miles or so and if it rises go in for a 3rd stage ..
of which i cant answer what that is at present .

The oil change volumes have been revised recently , D5244Tx and D4204T engines are filled to 65% up the dipstick markings .

Thats 4.8 litres for D4204T ( formerly 5.3 litres )
and around 5.8 litres for the D5 ( formerly 6.3 - 6.5 ) but it does vary between models ..
Old May 22nd, 2010, 20:28   #29
Bill_56
Premier Member

@Clan,

The point is that many owners find it unacceptable that the 'oil level may rise'. That carries all sorts of implications, for oil-dilution, especially considering these vehicles' 18,000 service interval.

Moreover, it appears there is a possibility that extreme oil-level rises can cause runaway acceleration which, even if it doesn't cause an accident, can at least cause the engine to self-destruct. By handing out letters explaining the oil-level issues, Volvo can probably blame accidents or engine-damage on 'driver error' for not reading said leaflets, so avoiding any claims for liability.

Simply under-filling oil at service, to allow for subsequent dilution, is a complete bodge, in my humble opinion. I think it is reasonable to expect Volvo to come up with a proper solution to the problem and, if that solution is an expensive one, then it's Volvo's problem and not mine. I find it singularly unconvincing of Volvo to suggest that it can be fixed by 'software', though I'm willing to listen if they come up with a reasonable explanation.

Also, I have been assured (in writing) that the software update is to be applied regardless of oil-levels.

And I'm not blaming the dealer, that's why I've not named him. In fact I reassured him that I would be commending him to Volvo for all is good work, it is Volvo that messed this up, and it is Volvo that need to fix it.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:16   #30
Lozza
Events occur in real time

I too have had the recall letter 'Oil level may rise'. I was a little dubious as I was sure my V70 D5 ('07) didn't have a DPF. I've checked my VIN and I have a '4' as the 8th character, so that's good news for me.

Interestingly enough my oil level has always stayed rock steady (bang on the max mark), since day 1 with the car, never had an issue with it and I check it regularly.

I spoke to the dealer with regards the recall letter and was told that yes, despite my car not having a DPF (they had checked), it still required the software upload and the oil level reduced. Again, no real explanation as to what the software will do, however they claimed it was nothing to do with diesel fuel topping up the sump level and it was instead, due to 'oil misting' at either higher ambient temps, or engines driven hard.

Interesting, as a search on the net regarding oil levels rising almost certainly reveals hits on fuel topping up the sump levels rather than oil misting...

Either way, I'm not making any special trip to have this done just yet as my car's running really well at the moment. Like others have said, I'm curious to see how any other owners get on if they do go ahead and have this job undertaken.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote