Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 516911

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.11%
No 322 62.89%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 16th, 2021, 13:33   #201
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishCarFan View Post
Improving ???......
The owners handbook states the following: “The oil level is only detected by the system during driving. The system cannot detect changes when the oil is filled or drained. The car must be driven about 30km before the oil level display is correct”
How can this possibly be an improvement in that you have to drive 30km if you add or remove oil to confirm the new level ?
There was a software upgrade at service time last year that now enables the e-dipstick (on my model, at least) to register the addition of oil without needing to drive 30km. I had no trouble seeing the effect that adding 0.25L made to the displayed level without even starting the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I don’t think the electronic dipsticks have improved at all. I’d disagree on that.

Physical dipstick all the way I think. Simple & it works…
The physical dipstick is fine for owners who want to check it regularly and don't mind getting their hands dirty. I'm guessing however that many don't wish to and - like me - are happy to put their trust in a system that puts up a simple message when oil needs to be added, and telling you how much. Even more useful (essential, perhaps?) in engine designs where oil consumption is to be expected, something that seems to be the case in modern low-friction engines.

In my case I'm not lazy and I'm happy to get my hands dirty but I rarely park our cars anywhere level to check a dipstick. I do find checking our Sportage a minor nuisance as it has no electronic level sensor.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 14:20   #202
SwedishCarFan

Cheers Zebster,
I'll call the dealer and see if they can do a software update to stop me driving 30km to check the oil level !
SwedishCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 16:40   #203
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
There was a software upgrade at service time last year that now enables the e-dipstick (on my model, at least) to register the addition of oil without needing to drive 30km. I had no trouble seeing the effect that adding 0.25L made to the displayed level without even starting the engine.

The physical dipstick is fine for owners who want to check it regularly and don't mind getting their hands dirty. I'm guessing however that many don't wish to and - like me - are happy to put their trust in a system that puts up a simple message when oil needs to be added, and telling you how much. Even more useful (essential, perhaps?) in engine designs where oil consumption is to be expected, something that seems to be the case in modern low-friction engines.

In my case I'm not lazy and I'm happy to get my hands dirty but I rarely park our cars anywhere level to check a dipstick. I do find checking our Sportage a minor nuisance as it has no electronic level sensor.
I don’t trust electronic dipsticks. Give me a physical one any day. I don’t mind lifting the bonnet.

Even cars with physical dipsticks will tell you when the oil is low.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:41   #204
Smiffy2

Default Dipstick position

I have the XC60 R pro MY 14 5 awd. I use the electronic notification for oil
but recently had a concern after service where the system told me to add .5 liters of oil. This was after some 300 miles. Without going into full detail it appears the correct amount was not added at the service.

Just behind the radiator fan and roughly 24" down, there is what appears to be a small dipstick.

Could somebody tell me if this is correct and if so what graduations are shown on it and it is a simple matter of pulling it out?
It appears difficult to access but somewhere I read that a Police dipstick may be fitted can somebody enlighten me on this please?

Thank you
Smiffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:33   #205
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I don’t think the electronic dipsticks have improved at all. I’d disagree on that.

Physical dipstick all the way I think. Simple & it works…
The electronic dipstick is very accurate it works like a submarine's echo sounder ( ultrasound ) , people just don't calibrate it at every service as they should do ...
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:37   #206
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy2 View Post
I have the XC60 R pro MY 14 5 awd. I use the electronic notification for oil
but recently had a concern after service where the system told me to add .5 liters of oil. This was after some 300 miles. Without going into full detail it appears the correct amount was not added at the service.

Just behind the radiator fan and roughly 24" down, there is what appears to be a small dipstick.

Could somebody tell me if this is correct and if so what graduations are shown on it and it is a simple matter of pulling it out?
It appears difficult to access but somewhere I read that a Police dipstick may be fitted can somebody enlighten me on this please?

Thank you
was the service carried out correctly? 5.8 litres should have been added and the oil level gauge calibrated , it is a requirement at every service.

you can fit a dipstick , its nothing to do with the police particularly the engine always had one up until about 2010 you can buy the parts from the dealer for the older version of the engine . but still use 5.8 litres which will show about 60% up the XXXXXXX marking on the dipstick
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 16:15   #207
Smiffy2

I believe the service ref the oil was not carried out correctly particularly with regards to the volume of oil but I have visited another dealer who has set it up correctly topped up and all reads well.

What is in the tangent spout behind the radiator, is there already a short dipstick.

If not what is involved in fitting one?
Smiffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 17:46   #208
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy2 View Post
I believe the service ref the oil was not carried out correctly particularly with regards to the volume of oil but I have visited another dealer who has set it up correctly topped up and all reads well.

What is in the tangent spout behind the radiator, is there already a short dipstick.

If not what is involved in fitting one?
yes that's typical of oil changes not being carried out properly ..

you may have a short grey dipstick right down on the bottom of the block in line with cylinder 2 where the top of the sump is , They are very stiff as not usually used . Best accessed from underneath ...
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 23:20   #209
Dunc
Dunc

Regarding the calibration of the electronic dipstick is this a dealer only job.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 00:30   #210
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Regarding the calibration of the electronic dipstick is this a dealer only job.
with the VIDA workshop volvo diagnostic computer and interface..
some more expensive general diagnostic devices may have it as an option .If they have VOLVO functions ... iCarsoft might well have..