Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800ES clutch pedal

Views : 451

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2021, 22:37   #1
grahamwatson

Default 1800ES clutch pedal

I am converting my auto 1800ES to a manual box. I thought I had all the bits I needed, including a pedal set from an Amazon. But I find that the pedals do not fit the ES.

The Amazon pedals come as a pair on a single shaft. On the ES the brake and clutch pedals are separate. I suspect that the main reason for this is that the clutch on the ES is cable operated (i.e. pull) whereas the Amazon was hydraulic (so push). So the pivot point on the clutch pedal is lower than on the brake pedal, and the clutch has a short extension above the pivot shaft with a hook that the cable hooks on to.

I can just cut down the pad on the auto brake pedal to take the smaller manual pedal rubber. But I am struggling to find a suitable clutch pedal. Anyone got a spare one?

From research it looks like the clutch changed to cable operated on the B20. Does anyone know if the ES clutch pedal was used on any other B20 models?
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 03:18   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Graham;

I suggest you try to source both Brake and Clutch Pedals, Pivot, and associated from an ES donor car, rather than try to make 122 components work...and if you can't find a donor ES, then you should try to source the components from a 140 which was more of a contemporary of the ES, than the 122...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 20:53   #3
grahamwatson

Thanks Ron. That would also be my preference. All I need now is for someone to come up trumps!

Re the 140 I have had a look at the parts catalogues. The part number for the clutch pedal is different to the ES, though the catalogue illustration looks very similar. And there are other related parts (such as the pivot shaft bushings) which are the same, so definitely worth a look.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 17:15   #4
mike gilbert
Master Member

You are right that the cable clutch came into use with the advent of the B20, so the pedals for a B20 engined 140 should be very similar to an E and ES. Try scv_breakers on Ebay. I recently bought a B20 engine from them from a 140 they were breaking and I think they were breaking others.
Also a chap on this FB page was going to buy and part out an 1800ES situated in the Lake District, don't know if he ever did or not. https://www.facebook.com/groups/689875718367328

Last edited by mike gilbert; Oct 5th, 2021 at 17:21.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 13:16   #5
Underdrive

I believe I have what you are looking for. Removed from a '72 1800ES. Brake pedal also available.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote