Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BEWARE - stolen cat!

Views : 8885

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 22:04   #31
lnparry

Hi all,

Good to see the debate that this post has generated. I won't get into the politics of the situation except to say that, to stop crime, I believe society will need to be a little more robust with lawbreakers. Maybe I'm just too much of a fan of Gene Hunt in "Life on Mars"!

By way of an update:

- It seems that Volvo now list several 940 exhaust parts as obsolete but FRF are being very helpful in tracking down options.
- The lowlife returned to the next street last night (less that 50 yards away) and tried there but were scared off. The Police seem to be patrolling the area in unmarked cars so good for them but the gang then struck a quarter of a mile away - it seems the world is their oyster.
- Will probably get my local garage to fit whatever parts I end up with as I don't have time at the moment. Doesn't make economic sense but hey ho.
- Wondering if it is safe to drive the car 2 miles to my garage as don't wan't to damage the engine or turbo. Sounds very impressive with just 3 feet of pipe below the manifold!

Interesting points on emissions; My 1990, Jaguar 3.6 XJS had the following at the last MoT:

CO - 0.431% (max permissible 3,500)
HC - 75 (max permissible 1200)

Above is from a 138,000 mile, non cat, engine that has never had the head off but has regular oil changes and only uses Shell V Power. As said, keep the cars in good order and emissions will be low. Interestingly the 940 was "zero" on all the emission measurements at the last 3 MoTs presumably meaning too low to measure.

Finally, I love Griston's removable cat but my internet search for friendly feline came up with some dubious responses.

Take care all,
LeeP

Last edited by lnparry; Oct 19th, 2021 at 22:07.
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 22:09   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I have occasionally thought that if one were unfortunate enough to fall victim to this type of crime this might be the most satisfactory outcome. It could also afford the opportunity for a conversation with the perpetrator about life choices while waiting for the police to respond to your email.
In my experience, people trapped under cars dont tend to be able to say much.

An ambulance would be better than the police but what do you mean email? Email???

Snail mail, please! Unless it's a legitimate reason for the victim of the car being under there of course!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 22:52   #33
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In my experience, people trapped under cars dont tend to be able to say much.

An ambulance would be better than the police but what do you mean email? Email???

Snail mail, please! Unless it's a legitimate reason for the victim of the car being under there of course!
While waiting for ambulance. Let down all four tyres to make sure!

Not called CARMA for nothing! Really need some bait cars to trap those who do this and cause misery and expense. One day though they may mess with the wrong owners car.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 23:08   #34
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
One day though they may mess with the wrong owner’s car.
On the other side of the Pond and the guy had a 9mm in his pocket for backup but in the event his baseball bat sufficed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 10:17   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
- Wondering if it is safe to drive the car 2 miles to my garage as don't wan't to damage the engine or turbo. Sounds very impressive with just 3 feet of pipe below the manifold!

Interesting points on emissions; My 1990, Jaguar 3.6 XJS had the following at the last MoT:

CO - 0.431% (max permissible 3,500)
HC - 75 (max permissible 1200)

Above is from a 138,000 mile, non cat, engine that has never had the head off but has regular oil changes and only uses Shell V Power. As said, keep the cars in good order and emissions will be low. Interestingly the 940 was "zero" on all the emission measurements at the last 3 MoTs presumably meaning too low to measure.

Finally, I love Griston's removable cat but my internet search for friendly feline came up with some dubious responses.

Take care all,
LeeP
Shouldn't be a problem driving to the garage although passing pedestrians may need ear defenders!

I would suggest though having the crime reference number handy and phoning the garage just before you leave to let them know you're bringing it in shortly - both will help to CYA if you get stopped on the way. You may find the EML comes on during driving there because it will be running much leaner, wait until you get the car back then pull fuse #1 for 30 seconds or so then refit to clear the fault code memory before starting it.

Good figures from your Jag there, long may they continue!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 22:46   #36
lnparry

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem driving to the garage although passing pedestrians may need ear defenders!

I would suggest though having the crime reference number handy and phoning the garage just before you leave to let them know you're bringing it in shortly - both will help to CYA if you get stopped on the way. You may find the EML comes on during driving there because it will be running much leaner, wait until you get the car back then pull fuse #1 for 30 seconds or so then refit to clear the fault code memory before starting it.

Good figures from your Jag there, long may they continue!
Good point Dave re CRN as I have one now but hadn't thought of what to do with it.

Think I'll chance it to the garage in that case. Must admit she does sound good. Never driven a 940 that sounds like a Harley before!

Cheers,
LeeP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:51   #37
lnparry

UPDATE

Hi all,

Going to let my local independent garage replace the whole lot. FRF quoted ~£220 for (non standard) cat back system delivered which seems very reasonable but similar quote from my garage who will be sourcing cat and front pipe so I didn't want to split responsibilities.

According to a recent newspaper article cat thefts have increased 6 fold over the last 12 months especially post lockdown.

Has anyone fitted a cat protective cage or similar device to a 940?

Cheers,
LeeP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 13:32   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
UPDATE

Hi all,

Going to let my local independent garage replace the whole lot. FRF quoted ~£220 for (non standard) cat back system delivered which seems very reasonable but similar quote from my garage who will be sourcing cat and front pipe so I didn't want to split responsibilities.

According to a recent newspaper article cat thefts have increased 6 fold over the last 12 months especially post lockdown.

Has anyone fitted a cat protective cage or similar device to a 940?

Cheers,
LeeP
That sounds like a sensible solution Lee and in the great scheme of things, reasonably priced too.

I looked some time back, more for general interest and couldn't find a "Cat-guard" for the 7/9xx Volvos. That's not to say they might not be made now, i know companies that produce them are always adding to their ranges so it might be worth having a look.

Failing that, someone on here might decide to start making them..........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 14:10   #39
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
That sounds like a sensible solution Lee and in the great scheme of things, reasonably priced too.

I looked some time back, more for general interest and couldn't find a "Cat-guard" for the 7/9xx Volvos. That's not to say they might not be made now, i know companies that produce them are always adding to their ranges so it might be worth having a look.

Failing that, someone on here might decide to start making them..........
I have been thinking about it but I don't have time at the moment.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 21:37   #40
volvo always
Premier Member

I'm hoping the scumbags if they do look under will see the cat isn't genuine and see that it has no value.

At £55 it's cheap though, albeit with hassle if stolen. Worst bit is new/repair downpipe. Plus if have a cat cover need to declare it as a mod to insurance.

Have a BM make full exhaust inc downpipe and so far lasting well. 4-5 years old. Under car today changing oil cooler hoses.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 21:41.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:

Tags
thieving cat b4stards