Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Depreciation…what depreciation?

Views : 3473

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 10:06   #21
Lexington013

Just to add, I’m fortunate to have been running three cars in the family. The V70 barge has been with us the longest, approaching 3 years and is a keeper (it’s a 57 plate and bought for £2750).
12 months ago I was tempted and bought a BMW touring 19plate 320d with 2000 miles on the clock for £22.6k from Arnold Clark.
I’ve just sold it back to them in a straight forward catch deal for £28,750....Too good to be true. The V70 is happy, it’s back in the double garage next to the other half’s golf. SWMBO now believes I’m some sort of wheeler dealer!!!
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 10:19   #22
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington013 View Post
Just to add, I’m fortunate to have been running three cars in the family. The V70 barge has been with us the longest, approaching 3 years and is a keeper (it’s a 57 plate and bought for £2750).
12 months ago I was tempted and bought a BMW touring 19plate 320d with 2000 miles on the clock for £22.6k from Arnold Clark.
I’ve just sold it back to them in a straight forward catch deal for £28,750....Too good to be true. The V70 is happy, it’s back in the double garage next to the other half’s golf. SWMBO now believes I’m some sort of wheeler dealer!!!
Not many investments would give you that sort of return over 12 months, and a years free motoring thrown in.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 01:43   #23
Charnwood

Had a 2012 Defender 110 from new. Paid £25k new for it. Put 7 years and 70,000 miles on it. Got pinched and insurance paid £28k for it. That was before the chip madness.
Charnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 09:14   #24
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Like Forg, I find this an interesting comment, which, to be honest, I find difficult to understand. I have never had a problem with modern car displays and find the new driver-aid technology (you will call them toys!) fantastic. True, you can do without the aids but I don’t see how anyone can “hate” stuff that helps you and makes driving easier and safer…
It's rare for me to agree with Whippy, but this is one time where I do

Touchscreens are great when you're not moving, less useful when on a bumpy road. I don't like things which make me look away from the road for long periods of time.

Gesture controls, voice commands are great when they work.

As someone who sometimes gets hire cars for work, the lack of commonality of these controls also puts me off.

If anything, I find that big touchscreens and the 'assistance' functions make driving more stressful and more dangerous.

tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 10:23   #25
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
As someone who sometimes gets hire cars for work, the lack of commonality of these controls also puts me off.
Have to agree with that point. Working as a truck driver I do many miles each week, our fleet previously was Merc Axors which I got to know well. all of the controls fell naturally to my hands, then we started updating to Merc Actros', many of the controls were a couple of inches away from where they were in the Axor and some things like cruise control had moved to the steering wheel while the stalk previously used for cruise control became the gear control, nothing quite like dropping a gear when at top speed on the motorway trying to re-engage cruise control I got to a point where I requested the older trucks as it made my life so much calmer, when we got to a majority of new trucks I pulled seniority and requested only new ones, which using them consistently I got used to in a week or two. The recent oddity was going out in the pool car a Mk2 KIA CEE'D, my wife had a Mk1 CEE'D but I was still 'fish out of water' in the Mk2, I ended up getting the basic controls and coping without the rest, even finding a decent radio station was taking too much attention.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 13:21   #26
Fastpatsilents

I recently traded in my 2016 Subaru Outback for my V90 Cross Country, the Outback has now gone on Autotrader for £500 less than I paid for it, four years and forty thousand miles ago.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 09:14   #27
Nippy
VOC Member

Indeed, a quick look at Autotrader is showing 70 plate T6 V90s at over 40k. I paid 36 for mine 6 months ago…

SWMBO : 2016 V40 T3 R Design
Nippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 10:38   #28
Rocinante
Master Member

Second-hand Car Prices Surge Amid New Car Shortage.

"Research by the motoring group [The AA] suggests the price of the UK's most popular cars have increased up to 57% since 2019"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58993851
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote