Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

System Software updates - is dealership running a scam?

Views : 2877

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:54   #11
Twilight2017XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenEagles View Post
I find the best way to check for the software update having been performed is to check on the Volvo listing of updates
( link shown on previous posts)
Last service it was changes to auto wiper setting being retained
My next service will have a change to the seat belt audio reminder
If I see that then I know the update was performed
What I am not so keen on is the inability to see the oil at the end of a dipstick. How do you know that was changed ?
Good points, I need to remind myself what was the seat belt reminder sounded before the service both updates easy to check by turning the ignition On. Thanks a lot.
Twilight2017XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:56   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Last service I left my dash cam connected (I was going to take it out but forgot and they didn't complain about it) so I saw them pour in the nice fresh oil.
Where is your dash cam, the bonnet when open would block the view of the engine bay on my car.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 11:26   #13
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Where is your dash cam, the bonnet when open would block the view of the engine bay on my car.
It is right at the top of the windscreen and, as you say, I can't really see the engine bay but I could just see enough over the top of the bonnet to see a large canister (actually looked like a large plastic jug) containing an oil-coloured liquid being taken off the bench and poured into the engine somewhere.

Of course, if I was going to get really suspicious about it, they could have just poured it through a gap into an empty container under the car...
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:21   #14
Twilight2017XC90

Question

I read it somewhere that at ignition switch on value, you will see the the auto wiper value On. I didn't understand it - see new photos of start value driver console displaying safety check list, is this how others see it or any additions by Volvo in the latest updates to 2017reg models. Or where can I see this auto wiper setting On?

Volvo added a new ringtone in November 2019 update, is it only for year 2018 onwards means this update is not applicable to previous models ie 2017 and 2016?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022-115052.jpg (227.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022-115014.jpg (220.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022-114942.jpg (168.8 KB, 38 views)
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:24   #15
Twilight2017XC90

Question

How to add a video to the forum/thread? Thanks

I've recorded the seat belt warning sound, need to know how to add 10 sec video so that other forum members can check and confirm if their car has the same warning sound after receiving the latest system software updates on their last service in July 2021 onwards?
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 14:13   #16
RS3100

Quote:
It is right at the top of the windscreen and, as you say, I can't really see the engine bay but I could just see enough over the top of the bonnet to see a large canister (actually looked like a large plastic jug) containing an oil-coloured liquid being taken off the bench and poured into the engine somewhere.

Of course, if I was going to get really suspicious about it, they could have just poured it through a gap into an empty container under the car...
Mine's at the top of the windscreen to the nearside of the rear view mirror. With the bonnet open, surprisingly and possible due to the wide-angle lens, I could see from the top of the engine to just above the head of the mechanic standing in front of the car. Just enough to watch him pouring oil over the engine instead of in it whilst tipping a bag of crisps down his throat with his other hand, and a short while later pouring some washer fluid out of a new bottle into a container, and putting the part used bottle in my car so they could (attempt) to charge me for it. I had filled the washer reservoir before I took the car in!
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 16:30   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight2017XC90 View Post
How to add a video to the forum/thread? Thanks

I've recorded the seat belt warning sound, need to know how to add 10 sec video so that other forum members can check and confirm if their car has the same warning sound after receiving the latest system software updates on their last service in July 2021 onwards?
Upload the video to YouTube then add the link to it on a post on this forum.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:50   #18
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
Mine's at the top of the windscreen to the nearside of the rear view mirror. With the bonnet open, surprisingly and possible due to the wide-angle lens, I could see from the top of the engine to just above the head of the mechanic standing in front of the car. Just enough to watch him pouring oil over the engine instead of in it whilst tipping a bag of crisps down his throat with his other hand, and a short while later pouring some washer fluid out of a new bottle into a container, and putting the part used bottle in my car so they could (attempt) to charge me for it. I had filled the washer reservoir before I took the car in!
Did you challenge them on it?
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 19:08   #19
RS3100

Quote:
Did you challenge them on it?
I didn't review the video until after I'd returned home. But I did refuse to pay for the washer fluid as I knew the reservoir was already full to the brim. I also pointed out that they had failed to refit two of the plastic wheel nut covers, and was told that they must have fallen off before I bought the car in, because they don't remove the wheels during a service. So I asked why I had received two phone calls reminding me to ensure that the locking nut socket was in the car in the week prior to the service date, and had been asked to hand it in with the key when I arrived at service reception. Suddenly a couple of new covers were produced from stock.

I did make my feelings known after I'd seen the dashcam footage. Strangely, the survey that I'd been told Volvo head office would send me after the service, and which the service manager had attempted to instruct me how I must complete to show the dealership in their best light, also never arrived!
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 20:29   #20
bornmiddleaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
I didn't review the video until after I'd returned home. But I did refuse to pay for the washer fluid as I knew the reservoir was already full to the brim. I also pointed out that they had failed to refit two of the plastic wheel nut covers, and was told that they must have fallen off before I bought the car in, because they don't remove the wheels during a service. So I asked why I had received two phone calls reminding me to ensure that the locking nut socket was in the car in the week prior to the service date, and had been asked to hand it in with the key when I arrived at service reception. Suddenly a couple of new covers were produced from stock.

I did make my feelings known after I'd seen the dashcam footage. Strangely, the survey that I'd been told Volvo head office would send me after the service, and which the service manager had attempted to instruct me how I must complete to show the dealership in their best light, also never arrived!
to all of that!

Tags
navigation, sensus connect, sensus navigation, software update, software upgrade