Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New engine needed in 2016 XC90

Views : 6376

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 20:52   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmschall View Post
We bought it certified pre-owned at 1 year old, so we bought it in 2017. The dealership that has been handling our car has been servicing it since 2019. Prior to that it was another Volvo dealership.
Thats some saving grace. I was wondering how you managed to get any contribution at all on a 5 year old car, but the full history saved the day there.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 22:04   #12
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The OP states 'low oil'. I've read that to mean low oil level, particularly as - like you say - there can be no link between piston failure and oil pressure. Additionally, it's widely reported how VEA engines can sometimes consume engine oil due to piston issues.
Apologies if I caused confusion, I read the original post as meaning low oil pressure. The engine in my 2015 V60, an "old tech" 3.0 6 cylinder petrol, doesn't have a low oil level sensor, but an old fashioned dip stick which seems to work pretty well, not much to go wrong with it really !!! Isn't there a kit to fit a proper dipstick to the later engines? Surely if it is an oil consumption problem, keeping it topped up with oil is a lot cheaper than a new engine! If it uses 1 litre per 1,000 miles, 50 litres of oil is only about £500.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 07:35   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Apologies if I caused confusion, I read the original post as meaning low oil pressure. The engine in my 2015 V60, an "old tech" 3.0 6 cylinder petrol, doesn't have a low oil level sensor, but an old fashioned dip stick which seems to work pretty well, not much to go wrong with it really !!! Isn't there a kit to fit a proper dipstick to the later engines? Surely if it is an oil consumption problem, keeping it topped up with oil is a lot cheaper than a new engine! If it uses 1 litre per 1,000 miles, 50 litres of oil is only about £500.
... that is about the same rate of oil consumption as my 1976 Suzuki 2 stroke motorcycle (about 60:1 via the positive oiling system) - people give me a hard time about that leaving a trail of smoke around town :-)

Alan
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 13:55   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello,

We own a 2016 XC90. Last spring we started noticing that the low oil light was coming on. Slowly over time, the light would come on more frequently. At one point the gasket was replaced, but the problem continued. Recently the car went through some diagnostic testing, and it turns out the issue is related to a piston that needs to be replaced. We were told by the local dealer that the entire engine needs to be replaced for £11000 or $13000. I called Volvo and they did give us a 30% compensation for the work to be done, but this still seems like a ton of money, given that the car is only 5.5 years old. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thanks.
without the info on the engine
petrol ? diesel?
engine capacity (size)
mileage

was the engine run with "low oil level" light on, how hard/long / how many miles etc

Did the oil get topped up when the light came on ?
And to the correct level (which may not be as on the dipstick in Certain diesel engines due to issues )

Why the head gasket was replaced

no one can really give any meaningful help

me, id be off to a n other dealership / indy for a second opinion armed with all the answers to the above
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 14:12   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hello,

We own a 2016 XC90. Last spring we started noticing that the low oil light was coming on. Slowly over time, the light would come on more frequently. At one point the gasket was replaced, but the problem continued. Recently the car went through some diagnostic testing, and it turns out the issue is related to a piston that needs to be replaced. We were told by the local dealer that the entire engine needs to be replaced for £11000 or $13000. I called Volvo and they did give us a 30% compensation for the work to be done, but this still seems like a ton of money, given that the car is only 5.5 years old. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thanks.
you need to know that volvo brought out just the bottom half of the engine to greatly reduce the cost of this job it will be exchange , Did they quote for that ? They would have to take the head off your original head and fit that to the new cylinder block assembly ...

The cheapest option is a new set of pistons and rings ! they went for the most expensive option .

try a rural dealer such as Keith Price Garages Abergavenny or FRF in swansea , well worth getting the train do get the job done right at the right price..
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 14:15   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
My initial thought is "take it for a second opinion". I don't understand how low oil pressure can be caused be a piston. Piston failure due to low pressure maybe, but the other way round sounds........ tentative.
low oil pressure was caused by running out of oil due to the engine using oil ... perhaps the oil wasn't topped up and ruined the crankshaft ... the poster didn't say whether he topped it up or not .
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 14:18   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Oil consumption on early VEA engines is a known problem, caused by the oil control piston rings and associated piston drain holes becoming blocked with soot. Not sure when the eventual improvements were undertaken, but my 2015 model is affected and so does need the odd top-up.

Does your car run ok? Mine runs great and I'd not spend a tenth of what you've been quoted just because it needs 0.5L every 2000 miles or so! Suitable oil is reasonably cheap and I'd trade it in rather than bother getting it fixed...
the modification was done in the factory in the middle of 2016 .
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 15:38   #18
Quaffwine

It’s strikes me that this is a major consumption issue seen on loads of petrol ones in the states. Lots of horror stories about new engines being needed to feel with cylinder scarring etc and huge engine oil consumption. It was corrected in mid 2016 although I don’t know what week. It does effect SPA cars despite what some might argue here.

My advice would be to chase the dealer for Volvo to pay the entire amount and be bullish and litigious about it. It has full Volvo history. I don’t know what the mileage is but would guess it might be approaching 100k miles?

Go over to swede speed and look up engine oil consumptions on the spa section
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 10:04   #19
RS3100

Piston and ring modifications were made from engine number 1501327 onwards, according to the technical journal.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 10:09   #20
tmschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
without the info on the engine
petrol ? diesel?
engine capacity (size)
mileage

was the engine run with "low oil level" light on, how hard/long / how many miles etc

Did the oil get topped up when the light came on ?
And to the correct level (which may not be as on the dipstick in Certain diesel engines due to issues )

Why the head gasket was replaced

no one can really give any meaningful help

me, id be off to a n other dealership / indy for a second opinion armed with all the answers to the above
Hello, thanks for your response. Our car is a T6 all wheel drive model, runs on petrol, with approximately 70,000 miles. Since this entire problem started, we have always topped off the tank, any time the oil light has come on. The more I drive it, the quicker the oil level goes down. I have just been topping off when needed, but this is starting to happen more quickly. I never drive very far with the oil light on.
tmschall is offline   Reply With Quote