Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26753

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 17:41   #91
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasonsS60D3 View Post
So if I take small rubber hose off from the airbox pipe and blow into it what should happen? The one between the cam cover and induction pipe.
you should be able to draw air OUT easily with the cap on.. Not sure if there is a one way valve in there so if when blowing in ( with the oil cap off ) you get a restriction then it may not be a problem . But if you can blow in there shouldn't be a problem with blockage ..
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 17:53   #92
DasonsS60D3

So when I blow into it with the cap on I get what I've blown forced back. Got all the new parts from Volvo for £160 including new bolts for the injector clamps ( pretty sure they need replaced?) If the oil was from the valves would I be able to tell with the valve cover off?

Last edited by DasonsS60D3; Apr 2nd, 2021 at 18:01.
DasonsS60D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 21:09   #93
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So when I blow into it with the cap on I get what I've blown forced back. Got all the new parts from Volvo for £160 including new bolts for the injector clamps ( pretty sure they need replaced?) If the oil was from the valves would I be able to tell with the valve cover off?
That sounds promising ...

When you get the cover off , look carefully at the rubber seal , see if you can spot any distortion or cuts ...

Yes new bolts and it is essential they are torqued to the correct figure ... which is not as tight as you would expect ! The injector hole on the head at the bottom of the tube must be clean and spotless aluminium .
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 00:15   #94
DasonsS60D3

Thanks clan. From what I can see it's 5nm then 10 is that correct? What's the best way to clean the hole for the injector?
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 11:16   #95
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks clan. From what I can see it's 5nm then 10 is that correct? What's the best way to clean the hole for the injector?
No its not the correct torque .. Be sure to get the correct method of tightening the injector securing bolts , It is VITAL ,
I believe the first stage is 11nm I cant remember the second stage ..
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 12:12   #96
DasonsS60D3

5nm then 10nm is for the cover isn't it? What's the torque for the injector bolts? I'll ask at Volvo when I collect my parts
Old May 7th, 2021, 08:06   #97
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Any update on this?
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:15   #98
CA121

Hi all. This thread has been very handy as we have a 2017 xc60, old shape. And we have the same issues. Oil leak from the rear right hand side of cam cover. Every now and then when the vehicle has done a short journey, the car bellows smoke from that area. I'm assuming that it's because of extra heat from a dpf regen burning off the surface oil.
We have done the glove test and the glove does indeed inflate with the engine running. I've tried blowing and sucking both ways in the breather pipe that links the valve cover to the intake pipe. Both ways are free flowing.

The car is almost out of our 6 month warranty that came with it, so ideally we need to get it sorted.

Any further information and help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks Adam
CA121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:21   #99
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA121 View Post
Hi all. This thread has been very handy as we have a 2017 xc60, old shape. And we have the same issues. Oil leak from the rear right hand side of cam cover. Every now and then when the vehicle has done a short journey, the car bellows smoke from that area. I'm assuming that it's because of extra heat from a dpf regen burning off the surface oil.
We have done the glove test and the glove does indeed inflate with the engine running. I've tried blowing and sucking both ways in the breather pipe that links the valve cover to the intake pipe. Both ways are free flowing.

The car is almost out of our 6 month warranty that came with it, so ideally we need to get it sorted.

Any further information and help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks Adam
I would imagine it would need new top cover and gasket , but see your dealer for any latest fixes and information.
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 09:32   #100
joren

Hi people

I'm having pretty much exactly the same issue as Dtaylor, the topic starter.
My used V90 D4 (automatic) that I bought a few weeks ago is giving off fumes from under the hood from time to time and it looks exactly like the youtube video he posted.

It only happens when I come from the highway and get into a city traffic jam.
It seems the extra temperature from DPF regen causes a small amount of leaked oil to burn off, because it only happens at that moment.

I too have some obvious positive crankcase pressure coming from the oil cap when I take it off with the engine running at idle. It really blows like a person blowing on your hand. I'm worried but at the dealership they assured me that this is normal for the D4 engine...

What I don't understand very well is... if there is some crankcase pressure that is supposed to be sucked off by the breather system in the valve cover, wouldn't it be logical that it escapes when you open up the oil cap? It is after all a big hole that comes 'before' the breather system. If you break the airtight nature of the system, how can the breather system do its job when you remove the cap?
I'm just trying to understand whether its normal behaviour or not, because online there are a lot of mixed messages on this.

My car is at the dealer's today, really hoping they get it fixed.
The dealer said it could also be a leaking hose in the EGR system...

Apart from that my car is running really really well (VERY smooth and no error messages) and there hasn't been the slightest drop in oil level over the last 3/4 weeks.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Last edited by joren; Nov 4th, 2021 at 09:35.
joren is offline   Reply With Quote