Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sunroof / moonroof reseal

Views : 10429

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2020, 00:54   #11
Free940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Thanks Dave for answering Free940’s questions especially as you were able to comment regarding the electric sunroof operation, about which I know nothing.

Free904: Questions are not a problem, that’s what this forum is all about.

My apologies for mistyping the seal part number. It should be VO3528809. (thanks Dave.)

The sunroof headlining should be attached to the underside of the sunroof panel by those roughly rectangular lightweight steel frames which fit under a small clip on the upper side of the headlining. The clips can be seen in my image of the underside of the sunroof showing the frame and the spring connecting the frame to the transverse rod of the sunroof main frame. If your sunroof headlining is still attached to the sunroof panel it will move back into the roof void with the sunroof panel and will so apparently disappear into the roof void and should re-emerge when the sunroof is closed again. The only way that the sunroof headlining can move back into the roof void without the sunroof panel is if it has become disconnected from the sunroof panel. If it has become disconnected I would assume that when an attempt to open the sunroof is made, then the sunroof panel would move back and it’s headlining would remain in the closed position, or, the sunroof panel would jam and refuse to move back.

Q1) Is the sunroof headlining still attached to the sunroof panel?

Q2) Have you tried both operations of the sunroof? That is the “vent” position with the rear edge up, and the “open” position where the panel moves back into the roof void as described by Dave (also know as Laird Scooby).

Hope this helps.
The headliner has separated from the metal panel.. it is slid back out of sight. I'm sure some of the loose hardware has something to do with that.

I tried the switch when I first got the car and it tried to move up in the back but that is as far as it got. It was binding somewhere. I pushed the headliner section out of the way to get a look at the mechanical parts. I then got the metal part closed and taped the seams up. I have other things to resolve, but will eventually get to the sunroof. I will come back then and reread this thread. It is outdoors, but if it wasn't I would bide my time and tear into it. I'm sure it is an easy fix, especially with the help I have gotten here.
Free940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 01:08   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Invest in an aerosol can of Servisol Switch/Contact Cleaner. With the ignition off, press the top of the sunroof switch in, aim the nozzle of the Servisol into the gap and give it a good squirt. Exercise the switch in both directions for a good 30 seconds and leave to dry (which it will quickly) then start up and try both positions.

If you get the roof panel stuck, removing the two #1 Pozidriv screws from the black panel covering the sunroof morot and you should see a slotted spindle - use a wide, flat-bladed screwdriver to turn this in the correct direction to cloe the roof panel again. In the middle of the slotted spindle is a pin which will pop out in the closed positoion.

You can also open the roof this way to lube the slides, hinges etc to improve the movement. :thumbs-up:

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 03:25   #13
Free940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Invest in an aerosol can of Servisol Switch/Contact Cleaner. With the ignition off, press the top of the sunroof switch in, aim the nozzle of the Servisol into the gap and give it a good squirt. Exercise the switch in both directions for a good 30 seconds and leave to dry (which it will quickly) then start up and try both positions.

If you get the roof panel stuck, removing the two #1 Pozidriv screws from the black panel covering the sunroof morot and you should see a slotted spindle - use a wide, flat-bladed screwdriver to turn this in the correct direction to cloe the roof panel again. In the middle of the slotted spindle is a pin which will pop out in the closed positoion.

You can also open the roof this way to lube the slides, hinges etc to improve the movement. :thumbs-up:
Thanks again! The motor is strong and reacts to the switch whether it's rocked up or down, with the rear trying to lift up. The roof is hanging up on something. I don't know if trying to crank it manually will over come this. I definitely need to do some disassembly to find where the bind is to possibly avoid some damage. Some parts fell out when I slid the headliner back..As I remember, a long rod with some springs and and two thick, curved, heavy duty looking pieces.

I was going to take some pictures, but I didn't want to hijack the original posters thread anymore than I have already.
Free940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:50   #14
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free940 View Post
I was going to take some pictures, but I didn't want to hijack the original posters thread anymore than I have already.
Post away! It is keeping all the current sunroof questions and advice in one place, and makes no difference to me. Your photos will help someone, somewhere, sometime.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:39   #15
90Wine745

Hi Ian,
Mine is a steel sunroof too.
On the seal I know the Weather Seal, Part number: VO3528809 fits your car, mine is a 745 (1990) and suppliers say this will not fit mine. The profiles look different on their sites, see attached.

However, the picture of your old one on the top of the car looks awful like mine. Was the new one exactly the same or a little different? Do you think they are interchangeable?
At least, mine is not leaking at the moment, the channels are clear and with the clean up job (with Dave’s suggestions, thanks Dave) came out well. Pics attached.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere, living in the west of Ireland, it is probably more important to keep the water out than anything else, Thanks again.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3870.jpg (78.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3869.jpg (93.6 KB, 25 views)
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:46   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

Free940: As Ash said, post away with your sunroof queries to keep all the relevant info. in one place.

From your description it appears to me that the sunroof headlining has disappeared into the roof void and from inside the car you are able to see the underside of the sunroof panel and the mechanism. Is that correct?
If so, when you eventually get to try to deal with the sunroof, I suggest that you resolve, if you can, the sunroof movement first and if successful then move on to attempting to retrieve the sunroof headlining from where it has hidden itself. There may be ways that it can be retrieved without having to remove the actual roof headlining.

Try to post images of the underside of the sunroof (including the rearmost section on each side ) and the pieces that you said fell off. Then we may know the way forward.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 10:52   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Wine745 View Post
Hi Ian,
Mine is a steel sunroof too.
On the seal I know the Weather Seal, Part number: VO3528809 fits your car, mine is a 745 (1990) and suppliers say this will not fit mine. The profiles look different on their sites, see attached.

However, the picture of your old one on the top of the car looks awful like mine. Was the new one exactly the same or a little different? Do you think they are interchangeable?
At least, mine is not leaking at the moment, the channels are clear and with the clean up job (with Dave’s suggestions, thanks Dave) came out well. Pics attached.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere, living in the west of Ireland, it is probably more important to keep the water out than anything else, Thanks again.
Mike
Dave and Bob are the ones with the 700 series. They may be able to advise better than me. Your roof seal certainly looks the same as mine. Maybe it is just a different length on your car. The seal on my car is 2800 mms. long. The new seal supplied was 2830 mms. Maybe one of the 700 owners would measure the seal on their car.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 14:00   #18
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave and Bob are the ones with the 700 series. They may be able to advise better than me. Your roof seal certainly looks the same as mine. Maybe it is just a different length on your car. The seal on my car is 2800 mms. long. The new seal supplied was 2830 mms. Maybe one of the 700 owners would measure the seal on their car.
Thanks Ian,
Just measured mine, it is also 2800mm long.
Mike
Old May 6th, 2020, 14:11   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you haven't already done it Mike, invest in some silicone grease and rub it in to the sunroof seal. Let it soak for a good 15-20 minutes then wipe (DON'T rub) off the excess, move the roof panel on the switch for access to the part you couldn't get to and do that part as well.

This will help to revive and condition the rubber part of the seal enabling it to do what it says on the tin. If it hasn't been done for a long time (most haven't! ) then repeat at monthly intervals 3 times, twice at two monthly intervals, once after 6 months then do it yearly to mantain the seal.

You may be able to bring your existing seal "back from the dead" doing this now or you may still have to get a new seal. If you have to fit new, give it a small dose of silicone grease immediately after fitting and then do it once a year after to maintain it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 20:34   #20
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you haven't already done it Mike, invest in some silicone grease and rub it in to the sunroof seal. Let it soak for a good 15-20 minutes then wipe (DON'T rub) off the excess, move the roof panel on the switch for access to the part you couldn't get to and do that part as well.

This will help to revive and condition the rubber part of the seal enabling it to do what it says on the tin. If it hasn't been done for a long time (most haven't! ) then repeat at monthly intervals 3 times, twice at two monthly intervals, once after 6 months then do it yearly to mantain the seal.

You may be able to bring your existing seal "back from the dead" doing this now or you may still have to get a new seal. If you have to fit new, give it a small dose of silicone grease immediately after fitting and then do it once a year after to maintain it.
Thanks Dave,
Already gave it the silicone grease treatment as best I could and will continue at the intervals you suggest. Not the easiest to access. Also have the bonnet, tailgate and door seals are in the schedule although they are all in much better condition. I reckon it will greatly help to extend the life of the seal. Still might need the new sunroof seal do you have any thought of the compatibility of P/N 3528809?
Take Care, Mike