Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery Message

Views : 14632

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 22:06   #11
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It takes me about 10 seconds to remove the cover over my main battery positive terminal... were you removing further panels to also access the negative terminal, rather than clip the negative battery lead onto the engine/bodywork?

So long as the correct (smart) charger is used then surely this must be at least as good for the battery as being charged by the vehicle alternator? Especially on a modern car where the alternator output is further managed to only provide output during periods of deacceleration in the interests of fuel economy (which may not be the kindest charging method for the battery) and - at least on our Volvo cars - limits the normal charge level to only 80 - 85% (which again is not necessarily in the best interests of the battery).
Yes I probably was. Certainly took me longer than 10 seconds. I was always concerned I was going to break the battery cover clips. Anyway, using my CTEK on the towbar removes all concerns.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 20:05   #12
johnhorsley5

Default Mee too

I’ve just bought an early 2016 XC60 D4
It’s showing the same symptoms - stop start not always working and low charge alarm. Should I press the dealer LP for a new battery?
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 21:30   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhorsley5 View Post
I’ve just bought an early 2016 XC60 D4
It’s showing the same symptoms - stop start not always working and low charge alarm. Should I press the dealer LP for a new battery?
No you are better doing what they would do first , charge the battery for 48 hours with a charger that does not turn off on it's own . usually this will fix it and de sulphate it . after that in these times when the car is not used much the battery must be charged every 2 weeks , all this is official volvo advice ....
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 13:45   #14
NickMV70

Totally agree with the topping up advice. My v60 had stood for a long time when I took ownership and needed jump starting. I initially charged the battery for 24hrs but the charging wRning light would flash after about two days. It wasn’t until I took clans advice and charged the battery for about 60hrs. I then did the reset thing and all has been fine since with auto start stop etc. Volvo quoted me 180 as they tested the battery and said it needed replacing (before I charged it).
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 12:45   #15
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Yes I probably was. Certainly took me longer than 10 seconds. I was always concerned I was going to break the battery cover clips. Anyway, using my CTEK on the towbar removes all concerns.
I'd highly recommend the 13 pin socket method if you have a tow bar. It's great this time of year in wind and rain. When used in combination with the CTEK extension lead I can just back the car up to the garage, plug in and leave it.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moosehead74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:22   #16
Miyo360

Hi, My XC60 '64 plate with 120,000 miles also has occasional low battery messages. The stop/start has not worked for a few months.

I had a service last month and asked Volvo to look at the battery. They confirmed it wasn't holding a good charge, so suggested I change the battery plus auxiliary battery.

The service was costing me enough, so I said I would bring it back the following month. Having called today for a price I was quoted £384 to supply and fit both batteries!

Seems pretty steep. I think I'll try the advice in this thread first - get a charger and leave it on for a few days, then try resetting the BMS as mentioned in this thread. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308958
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:27   #17
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
charge the battery for 48 hours with a charger that does not turn off on it's own .
...Which charger would you recommend, and/or what jargon am I looking for when finding a charger that doesn't turn itself off?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 13:13   #18
Moose Test
Master Member

I use and would recommend the Noko Genius range of chargers (I have the Genius 10, 10A model).

It has successfully recovered two "failed" batteries for me, fitted to my summer vehicles, which I've allowed to fully discharge over the previous winter season.

They have a specific de-sulphating operating mode, during which they charge for longer and at a higher voltage than is customary. They can also be left attached and switched on, as they will cycle in and out of operation automatically as the battery resting voltage drops again.

NOTE: If you're using the "recovery" mode you must disconnect the battery from the vehicle, to prevent overvoltage causing damage to its electronics.

Last edited by Moose Test; Oct 13th, 2020 at 13:16.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 13:29   #19
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
I use and would recommend the Noko Genius range of chargers (I have the Genius 10, 10A model).
Thanks. That 10A version is around £115 on Amazon. The 5A model is around £65 - would that still be suitable? What is the downside? Just takes longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
NOTE: If you're using the "recovery" mode you must disconnect the battery from the vehicle, to prevent overvoltage causing damage to its electronics.
...and I presume 'Recovery' is the mode I want to use?

Are there any "gotchas" with disconnecting the battery from the vehicle? Previous cars have had problems with keys and sounds systems needing re-registering. Sorry, for the dumb questions - I'm a real noob here.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:28   #20
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Thanks. That 10A version is around £115 on Amazon. The 5A model is around £65 - would that still be suitable? What is the downside? Just takes longer?
Exactly that. The lower peak charge current just means that the total charge time for any given state of discharge will be longer. For normal top-up / maintenance charging it will make no real difference.

Quote:
...and I presume 'Recovery' is the mode I want to use?
Yes. In the user manual, Noco direct you to charge the battery once in normal 12v mode first, and then go for the Recovery operation. This has worked for me on two occasions, although to be fair, I'm sure there are also batteries which have truly reached the end of their functional life and which won't be helped. So there is an element of gamble, if you're just proposing to purchase it for this. Even if it doesn't work, I think it's a good quality charger for keeping any new battery in good condition over the winter period.

Quote:
Are there any "gotchas" with disconnecting the battery from the vehicle? Previous cars have had problems with keys and sounds systems needing re-registering. Sorry, for the dumb questions - I'm a real noob here.
No, nothing like that with Volvo. They have their own security systems for audio that don't use "radio codes". Worst that will happen is that you might need to set the clock again, if you have the battery off for any length of time.