Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Cutting out - B4184SJ engine - P0220 TPS cctB

Views : 7486

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:01   #11
gatos
Premier Member

The group is this one here: facebook.com/groups/972416682830534

I spend a lot more time there these days, as it is way way much busier with a lot more active members.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 10:30   #12
Adamnw

Thanks gatos,

Have had another look and reckon it should be possible to do as there's a convenient cut-out in the pedal bracket that should allow the potentiometer to slide in and out. So have ordered some right angled pozidrives - just need to work out how to get pressure on the back of them to undo the screws. Have also looked round and there seem to be a few of these sensors out there from sources as diverse as eBay and Aliexpress with prices ranging from 15 quid upwards, however, if you're willing to sell the sensor you have I know it's for the same vehicle - let me know the price.

Unfortunately work has just decided to send me to the US for three weeks so the urgency just decreased a bit (and I will have a project during isolation on return).

All the best.

Adam
Adamnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:14   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamnw View Post
Thanks gatos,

Have had another look and reckon it should be possible to do as there's a convenient cut-out in the pedal bracket that should allow the potentiometer to slide in and out. So have ordered some right angled pozidrives - just need to work out how to get pressure on the back of them to undo the screws. Have also looked round and there seem to be a few of these sensors out there from sources as diverse as eBay and Aliexpress with prices ranging from 15 quid upwards, however, if you're willing to sell the sensor you have I know it's for the same vehicle - let me know the price.

Unfortunately work has just decided to send me to the US for three weeks so the urgency just decreased a bit (and I will have a project during isolation on return).

All the best.

Adam
have you checked the throttle flap yet for lack of sticking ?
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:48   #14
Adamnw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
have you checked the throttle flap yet for lack of sticking ?
Hi,

I have to confess I hadn't really focussed on that as an area of interest - it seemed to me (and I accept that I'm not very 'car electronics' literate) that the data from the code reader, taken with ignition on and engine not running, that indicated there was a variance between track 1 and track 2 data coming from the accelerator pot had pushed me towards that as a more likely culprit.

Is there a simple way to test this? Guessing it was easier to do with a cable operated throttle but fly by wire probably drives a servo motor.

Thanks

Adam
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 12:25   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamnw View Post
Hi,

I have to confess I hadn't really focussed on that as an area of interest - it seemed to me (and I accept that I'm not very 'car electronics' literate) that the data from the code reader, taken with ignition on and engine not running, that indicated there was a variance between track 1 and track 2 data coming from the accelerator pot had pushed me towards that as a more likely culprit.

Is there a simple way to test this? Guessing it was easier to do with a cable operated throttle but fly by wire probably drives a servo motor.

Thanks

Adam
just take the air inlet hose off and with ignition off press open the flap it will rotate the motor against a spring , just make sure its smooth and closes smoothly , they can get very stiff , the motor compensates for a while but then gives up completely when it gets too stiff to move ..
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 13:43   #16
gatos
Premier Member

You can also push the flap and see if it returns back to its resting position smoothly, or if it is sticking. Also, cleaning the throttle body, does help a lot.

However, not sure if a faulty magnet or a sticky flap would throw an error code

Nullius in Verba
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 16:02   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
You can also push the flap and see if it returns back to its resting position smoothly, or if it is sticking. Also, cleaning the throttle body, does help a lot.

However, not sure if a faulty magnet or a sticky flap would throw an error code
yes it would post a code , and also I have found a magnet come Unbonded from the shell
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 18:58   #18
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes it would post a code , and also I have found a magnet come Unbonded from the shell
That's weird. I've repaired 3 TBs todate, where one or both of the magnets came lose and I never got an error code from the pedal sensor

Nullius in Verba
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 11:14   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
That's weird. I've repaired 3 TBs todate, where one or both of the magnets came lose and I never got an error code from the pedal sensor
not from the sensor no , from the throttle
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 15:37   #20
Adamnw

Hi gatos,

Thanks for your help in investigating this. Sadly work sent me overseas for several weeks and having just got back I've found that the mot is due at the end of the month - I suspect that the cost of getting the beast through will make it not economically viable. Needs a new windscreen and clutch as well as the TPS issue sorting though everything else is good afaik.

The Redcorn website indicates they will pay approx £300 for it but I recall you mentioned a Facebook group and wondered if there was anyone on there that would part it out to the community - which would be a more noble ending than the Redcorn crusher.

If you can think of someone PM me their details (I can't PM until I've made 30 posts apparently) and I will get in touch, else I will call Redcorn.

Cheers.

Adam

Tags
b4184sj, p0220, throttle position sensor, v40