Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 no longer charging - app woes!!

Views : 1111

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2021, 04:55   #1
Guymcc

Default T8 no longer charging - app woes!!

Morning folks

I’m after some suggestions. Ever since going to 5.2.0 on the app, now 5.2.2, ive been having issues charging the car. First it would only charge the car during the scheduled charging times that i had set up (evening from 20:30). So if i wanted to charge the car at home out with these times I couldn’t. As soon as i plugged in the cable it would be blue. Before the app change, i would just go in to the schedule and turn it off, press save, then come back out, and the cable would start flashing green and the car would be charging. I couldn’t ‘turn off’ the scheduled timer, i couldn’t delete it either, and couldn’t make any changes to it, pressing save did nothing. I tried delete it the app, reinstalling, tried running the old format, but still on 5.2….(by now it was 5.2.1 i think) with no joy.

Since a couple of weeks ago, i was on holiday and at my brothers house and it would charge fine there during the day.

I phoned Volvo customer support yesterday and they just weren’t very knowledgeable. Actually the first was on the chat through the app (which I’d never seen available before!) and she deleted my data, history, journal etc and the location of my scheduled charging. I then had problems getting the car connected back with the car, so phoned. Not much more help and actually i kind of figured out what to do myself ( by deleting the app again and reinstalling it, it allowed this time to connect to the car) I thought i was getting somewhere. Going through this process i was trying to see if we could get the car status light to change from blue.

But now, i have no longer got blue, and its just constant yellow, ie waiting to charge. I’m on 5.2.2, the wife’s phone is the same, and same problem. I’m using the old format, can’t get the car to charge, wife’s phone 5.2.2 (new format and randomly the car is the correct colour now) and hers won’t charge the car either. When i press start charging I get the red banner at the bottom of the app saying ;failed to start charging’ I also now have no saved scheduled charging, and cant add one either, as there is no saved ‘recent locations’. So i cant charge during the day now OR at night because the scheduled charge isn’t working!

Volvo have said i need to take the car to a dealer, nearly a 2 hour round trip, so that they can do some diagnostics on it. I’m reluctant as I’m sure I’ll be charged ( no pun intended ) for the service…

Is there anything you great people can suggest before i have to do this…

Long read but any questions or pointers would be much appreciated!!!
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 22:27   #2
Guymcc

So randomly it’s evening, i went out to the car to see if it was charging, as it was glowing blue this afternoon. but nothing. So pressed unlock on the car (car was already unlocked) and the light went to steady yellow… So pulled out the charging cable. After this I switched off the plug at the socket, paused, turned it back and then would you believe it, when i plugged the cable back in and after a short pause it started charging, flashing green!!!

I’ve left it like that now and will see what it has done overnight.

On a side note, I’m back on the new format of the app, and having swiped up on the iPhone to close the app completely and then restarting it, it has now got the car in the correct colour from silver to blue! So that’s a bonus!
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 06:28   #3
Guymcc

Well, it charged! So thats a start! Haha. Sitting at 97% this morning. Not sure i mentioned it earlier, but one of that chats that I've had, the volvo person did admit that the charge location part of the app isn’t working properly and the programmers are working on it and should be fixed by ‘summer’ lol whatever that means!

I just hope that the car accepts the charge cable and charges next time i plugged it in.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 21:29   #4
Guymcc

Still playing silly buggers….. charged last night to only 75%, no idea why it ‘paused/stopped charging’

Still only goes blue when plugged in during the day, so not sure what on earth is going on..
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 19:13   #5
PaulBendall

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

What EV charging cable are you using?
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 12:16   #6
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post
Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

What EV charging cable are you using?
Ongoing I’m afraid…. The oem 4.5m charging cable… I changed out the socket that it was plugged in to in the garage as it appears that it was interrupting the charge due to overheating as a result of a poor connection in the three pin socket. I bought a quality known brand of socket and that seems to have fixed the over heating problem…

But…. Still only got the ability to charge the car during its original scheduled charge that i set up.

Arnold Clark Volvo aberdeen! ***** customer service…. Phoned a week last Tuesday to try and sort out a problem with the charging side of the PHEV XC90 mk2 ive got, which they had previously had in, but made worse… Didn’t get through to the service department, but was told I’d be phoned back. *They called back 3 hrs later and was told that they’d need to speak with the technicians and Volvo uk and they’d be in touch.. Nothing until a phoned again on this Tuesday, (week later) again was told I’d be phoned back, nothing, phoned on the Wednesday, same outcome…. Getting pretty ****ed off by this stage, so phoned again 3:30 later, and finally they phoned back a further 20 mins later.. they get the car booked in, and had clearly not had any conversation with any one… earliest they can do is 11th November, as thats the soonest they’d have a courtesy car… and get this.. they charge £12 a day for the privilege! *They reckon they need 2 days to run diagnostics and send it to volvo uk and find out whats going on!!! *Honestly, total shambles!!!*