Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Greetings with new project

Views : 4953

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 21:00   #11
grumpydad

Hi
workshop manual you need the green book
go hear https://ozvolvo.org/archive/
scroll down and look for volvo 240
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpydad For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 09:59   #12
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viks View Post
I am used to buy parts from UK. Its reasonable.

Im not really sure of which side mirror is right one for this model. I have been told mine should have the black. Not chrome.
The chassis number is YV1245411B5360xxx.. there is GL Emblem at rear door.

Here is a photo of dashboard view, it has electric window. The top panel, its for radio or instruments?

Regarding the wiper motor, it is same as 244 right??

Cheers
The same wiper motor was fitted to all RHD 200-series cars where the wiper arms pivot towards the driver's side of the car, essentialy 1979 Model Year onwards.

The top panel would usually house the radio/radio-cassette but a 3-position gauge pack was optional with a choice of oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge (rarer than an honest politician), voltmeter, ambient temperature gauge and vacuum gauge. If you dispensed with the clock you could fit all 5 with the fifth one sitting under the other 4. The radio then migrated to the bottom of the centre console.

The two photographs show the gauge-pack that my GLT has, with oil pressure, ambient temperature and voltmeter inthe left-had one, and the late-model mirror housings that your car might have been fitted with. If I can locate the relevant manual I'll scan the page(s) with the various mirror types that Volvo fitted to the 200-series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _copie-0_Gauge_Pack_05.jpg (195.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hustle_Muscle_upload.jpg (234.6 KB, 7 views)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 12:50   #13
Viks

Hi.. thanks for the manual list. That is quite a list. Will go through it and see which i need.

Black side mirror is the correct one for 1981 245 GL. Will go for it.

Personally i try not to modify unless its really necessary. Some says the radio is at bottom, some write up says radio moved to top. Need to do some research.

Owners manual will show me the exact layout. I hope somebody can share me the PDF.

If the wiper motor is same as 240’s then i think its quite easy to come by. Almost every alternate month i see 244s goes to scrapyard. Lucky all 240s are same at front. But 245s are rare. Hope i can come by the 245 rear bumper side moulding.

Cheers
Viks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 13:50   #14
Viks

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The same wiper motor was fitted to all RHD 200-series cars where the wiper arms pivot towards the driver's side of the car, essentialy 1979 Model Year onwards.

The top panel would usually house the radio/radio-cassette but a 3-position gauge pack was optional with a choice of oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge (rarer than an honest politician), voltmeter, ambient temperature gauge and vacuum gauge. If you dispensed with the clock you could fit all 5 with the fifth one sitting under the other 4. The radio then migrated to the bottom of the centre console.

The two photographs show the gauge-pack that my GLT has, with oil pressure, ambient temperature and voltmeter inthe left-had one, and the late-model mirror housings that your car might have been fitted with. If I can locate the relevant manual I'll scan the page(s) with the various mirror types that Volvo fitted to the 200-series.

Thanks for the photos. Those Instrument is interesting. hope i can get a decent one. Which year is your GLT ??
The Following User Says Thank You to Viks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 13:59   #15
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The attached scan is taken from the most recent Haynes manual I have (ISBN 1850104026).

My GLT is a 1987/88 model; its style of mirrors will fit your car although you would need the wiring loom and switches, plus different blanking pieces for the door frame if you wanted to fit the electrically adjusted version. The internally-adjusted versions use the same casings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo_240_Mirrors.jpg (221.4 KB, 4 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 14:14   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Apologies for the thread-jack - Loki, pg 137 of October Practical Classics, just right of centre of the page, 1974 FE 2300S in light blue metallic, 23600 miles, £7500 in Lancs.

Maybe of interest?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 14:55   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viks View Post

Black side mirror is the correct one for 1981 245 GL. Will go for it.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum.

I think this will be the right type of mirror for your motor car:

... same as my 244, it adjusts manually from the inside.

Alan
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 15:12   #18
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Apologies for the thread-jack - Loki, pg 137 of October Practical Classics, just right of centre of the page, 1974 FE 2300S in light blue metallic, 23600 miles, £7500 in Lancs.

Maybe of interest?
I'm curious about it; I'll check out the registration against the Club's records.

The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 15:14   #19
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I think this will be the right type of mirror for your motor car:

... same as my 244, it adjusts manually from the inside.

Alan
That mirror is ideal; if you're interested I might have one gathering dust and spiders in the garage, though I don't know what state the glass is in as they do tend to "silver" over time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 16:19   #20
Viks

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
That mirror is ideal; if you're interested I might have one gathering dust and spiders in the garage, though I don't know what state the glass is in as they do tend to "silver" over time.
Thanks for the photos. Its very helpful..
I believe mine should be manually controlled side mirror. I dint see any knob or button to control it electrically.
Let me strip the car first. Then i will know what wiring is hiding at the back of the door panels.
Where Is your location Loki?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Viks For This Useful Post: