Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No boost

Views : 1806

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2021, 11:07   #11
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
It's also had new cap and leads, more tomorrow, if it stops raining...
The main problem causing weak spark in the 940 is oil leaks into the distributor, it normally causes hesitation, the lack of a check valve in the PCV system causes oil to push out of the seals during the pressure dump. If you drive it gently (off boost) its less of an issue.

The ignition amp can go bad too, usually heat related.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:54   #12
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
The main problem causing weak spark in the 940 is oil leaks into the distributor, it normally causes hesitation, the lack of a check valve in the PCV system causes oil to push out of the seals during the pressure dump. If you drive it gently (off boost) its less of an issue.

The ignition amp can go bad too, usually heat related.
The old cap was certainly an oily mess but it's probably not even done 100 miles since the new cap and rotor. I'm hopeful of some better weather today to take a look.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 12:11   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
The old cap was certainly an oily mess but it's probably not even done 100 miles since the new cap and rotor. I'm hopeful of some better weather today to take a look.
It can deteriorate quite quickly, mine drives very well just after I clean the cap, but it goes back to the normal hesitation within about 30 miles. I have wasted spark distributorless ignition on my 360 B230FT, it so smooth and torquey. I have the bits for the 940, its just not bad enough to spur me into action.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 12:26   #14
vickyg

Should waste gate arm/rod move by hand or only under power? It is solid. Still attached however. No air leaks anywhere we can find but zero boost. Cap, leads etc. fine and runs and revs really smooth so no reason to suspect fuel.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 12:44   #15
vickyg

I also have a hole in my diaphragm (the words that would scare so many men lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16339526167894371991930827827551.jpg (240.8 KB, 10 views)
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:20   #16
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
I also have a hole in my diaphragm (the words that would scare so many men lol)
Thats to control the dump valve. If its faulty it will cause stalling after boost, not a lack of boost.

As already mentioned the word boost means turbo boost pressure. If your boost guage is showing boost, you have boost. What you are having is a lack of power.

Reving without load does not indicate perfect fuel delivery. Its more an indication that spark is ok (but not 100%). You need to measure the fuel pressure to check the FPR, and you might need to look at the AMM, or look for post measurement induction leaks. Also check all injectors are working by disconnecting each one at a time while the engine is running. The effect should be equal each time.

Is there any possibility the valve timing belt might have slipped? Has it been off recently?
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 20:42   #17
vickyg

Quote:
Thats to control the dump valve. If its faulty it will cause stalling after boost, not a lack of boost.

As already mentioned the word boost means turbo boost pressure. If your boost guage is showing boost, you have boost. What you are having is a lack of power.

Reving without load does not indicate perfect fuel delivery. Its more an indication that spark is ok (but not 100%). You need to measure the fuel pressure to check the FPR, and you might need to look at the AMM, or look for post measurement induction leaks. Also check all injectors are working by disconnecting each one at a time while the engine is running. The effect should be equal each time.

Is there any possibility the valve timing belt might have slipped? Has it been off recently?
Due to recent work to rectify the rain that got in the tank all the injectors have been off and checked, new fuel pressure reg also. No codes on LEDs. it would appear I have two problems, the hole in the diaphragm - yes it stalled on my husband AND the stuck waste arm which as I understand will mean no boost. The turbo does not kick in at all. Until this latest issue it once again was running like a dream and sailed through MOT. I'd just got 4 new tyres when this happened. I think the priority has to be getting that actuator arm to move again, if it will.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 23:01   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Due to recent work to rectify the rain that got in the tank all the injectors have been off and checked, new fuel pressure reg also. No codes on LEDs. it would appear I have two problems, the hole in the diaphragm - yes it stalled on my husband AND the stuck waste arm which as I understand will mean no boost. The turbo does not kick in at all. Until this latest issue it once again was running like a dream and sailed through MOT. I'd just got 4 new tyres when this happened. I think the priority has to be getting that actuator arm to move again, if it will.
If the actuator arm has siezed through rust, mix some synthetic ATF (Carlube ATF-U, NAPA MV or similar) 50/50 with some acetone aka nail varnish remover. Shake well, dribble, paint or spray it on to the wastegate rod/actuator arm fulcrum and any other parts you deem should be capable of movement and leave to soak for a while. Seal the tub/pot you mix the WMP (Weapon of Mass Penetration - oooooooooo-errrrrrrrrrr missus, we're back to diaphragm jokes! ) to prevent evaporation and shake it well before each use as the two liquids have a tendency to separate.

Maybe add a second dose of WMP and wait a few more minutes, try to move the arm etc each way and evenutally it should move. It's also great on rusted fasteners, i haven't found one yet to beat it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:26   #19
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
I think you said the wastegate arm was stiff, this is normal. Its held closed by a stiff spring in the actuator, which is pushed out and opens the wastegate when it gets whatever pressure it is set to (around 7psi for an FT, 4.5 for a FK). If its held shut you will get too much boost (after around 2500 rpm driving not reving without load), and if its stuck open the boost won't reach the normal pressure until higher rpm.

If you remove the hairclip with needle nose pliars you can lift the arm off the wastegate pin and the wastegate should move freely then. Try not to lose it.

Neither will stop the car accelerating totally, although about 15psi boost the engine will cut out totally at a certain load as there is a air flow limit set in software. Stuck open will just be low on acceleration, but will be driveable at most speeds. In fact stuck closed will make it go like a bat out of hell, but it might cut out, this is why you have a boost gauge). On my gauge the T in Turbo represnts about 11psi, which is a safe level of over boost and many people use for fun. An FT would be around halfway to the T.

Last edited by TonyS9; Oct 12th, 2021 at 09:33.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 10:49   #20
vickyg

Quote:
I think you said the wastegate arm was stiff, this is normal. Its held closed by a stiff spring in the actuator, which is pushed out and opens the wastegate when it gets whatever pressure it is set to (around 7psi for an FT, 4.5 for a FK). If its held shut you will get too much boost (after around 2500 rpm driving not reving without load), and if its stuck open the boost won't reach the normal pressure until higher rpm.

If you remove the hairclip with needle nose pliars you can lift the arm off the wastegate pin and the wastegate should move freely then. Try not to lose it.

Neither will stop the car accelerating totally, although about 15psi boost the engine will cut out totally at a certain load as there is a air flow limit set in software. Stuck open will just be low on acceleration, but will be driveable at most speeds. In fact stuck closed will make it go like a bat out of hell, but it might cut out, this is why you have a boost gauge). On my gauge the T in Turbo represnts about 11psi, which is a safe level of over boost and many people use for fun. An FT would be around halfway to the T.
Driving the boost gauge won't go past say 11 o'clock. We have some steep hills nearby (17%) and it barely crawled up, didn't think I'd make it home at one point. On the flat someone who didn't know better would probably think it was just a really old slow banger. It does accelerate but v.v.slowly (no turbo engaging) and no more than 50-60mph. Can be hard to judge as the speedo often doesn't fire up until you've been on the road a bit!