Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 cambelt change procedure

Views : 955

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 10:06   #1
vickyg

Default D5 cambelt change procedure

Hi all,
Cambelt change procedure for the D5 engine says undo the camshaft nut and refers to magic Volvo tool (I can see the latter is readily available on Amazon)

However I've seen several posts saying you can avoid undoing this by undoing the two 10mm bolts on the cam cover and cutting the old belt off. Can anyone here confirm they've had success doing this? I have neither the Volvo tool (yet) or a rattle gun. Also changing pulleys, water pump same time. Not sure if this "workaround" applies to a belt only change.

Cheers
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 18:56   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Have a read of the below thread for more inisght:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317549&highlight=timing+belt

Also see the comments about the water pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 11:44   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

Not exactly a stampede of replies
Most of us have seen discussion about the D5 belt change. It's really about the difficulty of removing and replacing the crank nut.
You'll see all shades of opinion from impossible to I have done it more than once.
The fact that it is possible does not mean everyone is enthusiastic about it or would encourage it. Mainly because there is a world of difference between doable and advisable and maybe that comes from a position of ignorance or old dog hard experience.
That said, the procedure has two features that are perhaps not best practice in my personal semi ignorant view.
First you don't have eyes on the crank timing mark and second the belt has to be persuaded to slip in.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 19:03   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

an impact wrench doesnt have to be bank-breakingly expensive:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...impact-wrench/

or

i prefer plug-in anyway, for drills as well, because they don't have that really irritating habit of running out just when you need it the most (or for drills, not having enough juice for things like masonry drilling or hole cutting)

besides how often are you really going to use it, a lot of the time I find there's not enough space to get it in there anyway so you're back to brute force and ignorance

obviously you need a set of impact sockets as well but they come with 4 to get you started

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Oct 14th, 2021 at 19:06.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 19:36   #5
vickyg

Taking that cover off did not provide any sensible way to change the belt in our opinion, and to try and feed the belt in that way would almost certainly damage it. Got the Volvo tool on Amazon which was handy and nut came off with a length of scaffold....yes I want a gun but ones of the preferred torque couldn't be got at the speed I needed the job completing. I would advise anyone not to pay too much attention when folk claim successful shortcuts on this job.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 19:38   #6
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
an impact wrench doesnt have to be bank-breakingly expensive:

or

i prefer plug-in anyway, for drills as well, because they don't have that really irritating habit of running out just when you need it the most (or for drills, not having enough juice for things like masonry drilling or hole cutting)

besides how often are you really going to use it, a lot of the time I find there's not enough space to get it in there anyway so you're back to brute force and ignorance

obviously you need a set of impact sockets as well but they come with 4 to get you started
That 1100 is certainly a good spec for the price but I'm going to get an air one most likely as have the compressor (and some sockets) already
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 19:41   #7
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Have a read of the below thread for more inisght:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317549&highlight=timing+belt

Also see the comments about the water pump.
Spot on, wish we'd seen sooner. Have D5 and no way would the belt sensbily go through that gap.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 01:09   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
That 1100 is certainly a good spec for the price but I'm going to get an air one most likely as have the compressor (and some sockets) already
I have an air line as well but tbh I find my air gun pretty gutless in comparison to the plug-in.. it could be down to the quality of the gun or something maybe I dunno (i think it's clarke?)

the air line is a very handy bit of kit though I do use it all the time with various other tools, if nothing else it's a quick way to pump up your tyres. but you do also have the restriction of length and manoeuvrability of the hose, depending on where the tank is and where you do the work

mini project - link
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 21:15   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I have an air line as well but tbh I find my air gun pretty gutless in comparison to the plug-in.. it could be down to the quality of the gun or something maybe I dunno (i think it's clarke?)

the air line is a very handy bit of kit though I do use it all the time with various other tools, if nothing else it's a quick way to pump up your tyres. but you do also have the restriction of length and manoeuvrability of the hose, depending on where the tank is and where you do the work
It could be your compressor. Maybe your air gun needs more “welly”? (A bigger compressor).
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 01:32   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

possibly, I'll be honest it's not something I've really taken the time to look into or research to any level

the tank is about 3' long so it's not some little thing but also not huge, I've considered playing about with it and seeing if I can adjust it to a higher PSI setting or something.. what's a normal pressure reading, IIRC I saw it sitting at about 60psi but that was only a fleeting glance

for literally everything else it works well, and having a mains impact wrench I guess it wasnt really necessary to play with it

mini project - link