Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 glt to save from scrap

Views : 7011

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2021, 14:01   #11
jasons

well its so much nicer than the ebay link one, other than basic tyres and brakes which are service items anyway the rest is diy.
I've been quite critical of it maybe, because its a really solid base to start with so I think I've made up my mind that the 480 coupe gets broken and scrapped which is a shame because its a 25k mile car, the 940 is definitely going to make a superb car and I'm going to get the 240 running for the sake of a fuel pump a spot of welding the size of a golf ball once ground back and a pair of headlamp reflectors.
From there I'll probably keep an eye out for a blue nsf door then the rest is cosmetic, tbh the side I say needs painting could be flatted and buffed to make perfectly presentable but despite its length its hardly a big deal if it needs flashing over.
I may be miles off but I'd have thought a recommissioned car with little over 100k that's presentable is worth a couple or few grand, so wish me luck
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 14:34   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
well its so much nicer than the ebay link one, other than basic tyres and brakes which are service items anyway the rest is diy.
I've been quite critical of it maybe, because its a really solid base to start with so I think I've made up my mind that the 480 coupe gets broken and scrapped which is a shame because its a 25k mile car, the 940 is definitely going to make a superb car and I'm going to get the 240 running for the sake of a fuel pump a spot of welding the size of a golf ball once ground back and a pair of headlamp reflectors.
From there I'll probably keep an eye out for a blue nsf door then the rest is cosmetic, tbh the side I say needs painting could be flatted and buffed to make perfectly presentable but despite its length its hardly a big deal if it needs flashing over.
I may be miles off but I'd have thought a recommissioned car with little over 100k that's presentable is worth a couple or few grand, so wish me luck
Well done chap, that is exactly what we like to hear! So you are going to re-commission the motor car, bring it back to UK and get it MoT tested. Fantastic, we all like the idea of a 240 being saved.

If you do the work yourself (I'm guessing in France, it would be expensive to trailer it back and do it here) you could probably get the mechanical work (tyres, fluids, belts, gaskets, seals, pads, rotors, calliper seals, maybe some shock absorbers... the rest is guesswork) done for about £500. The welding depends upon how bad it is - you won't know the answer to that until you cut the bad stuff out. If it needs new sills and wheel arches I suppose the panels will cost about £500. The redecorating is hard to assess - it could be anything from £50 for some rattle cans to £2,000 for a lower end full car respray. The better you make it the more money you will get for the motor car, but don't spend too much: the law of diminishing returns will get you quite quickly with a 240. The motor cars top out at about £6,000 - but to get that they have to be immaculato. We saw a pristine 240 estate that had been hawked around for months at £10,000 sell at a C&C auction a few weeks ago for (from memory) about £6,000. [Afternote: I checked and that motor car made £6,800 at auction... but it has to be as good as this to make that sort of money: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1071 ].

To give you an idea, this 1987 240 with about 150,000 miles and MoT... sold for £880 last month:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...p2047675.l2557

This 1981 estate made £1180:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184944218...gAAOSwHmpg8A54

... as you may see, 240s don't sell for big bucks unless they are pristine, have full histories, the original paperwork and one of Mr Volvo's grandmother's teeth included - so don't go over the top with your spending.

I think if you get the motor car recommissioned, fix the rust underneath, do some redecorating and get it back to the UK with a new MoT then £2,000 would be a perfectly good target (perhaps be prepared to accept £1,750).

We are delighted you are going to save the motor car, we all like 240s and it would be really good if you posted some pictures and words as the project progresses. This forum is really useful for advice and support - just remember we are all on your side :-)

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 18th, 2021 at 15:20. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 15:22   #13
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

I wish you luck as one Derbyshire man to another but I have a feeling your good intentions are going to be expensive.

Do some research before you put any money into this.

Optimism is not a business plan.

Last edited by Moomoo; Oct 18th, 2021 at 15:28.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 15:28   #14
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well done chap, that is exactly what we like to hear! So you are going to re-commission the motor car, bring it back to UK and get it MoT tested. Fantastic, we all like the idea of a 240 being saved.

If you do the work yourself (I'm guessing in France, it would be expensive to trailer it back and do it here) you could probably get the mechanical work (tyres, fluids, belts, gaskets, seals, pads, rotors, calliper seals, maybe some shock absorbers... the rest is guesswork) done for about £500. The welding depends upon how bad it is - you won't know the answer to that until you cut the bad stuff out. If it needs new sills and wheel arches I suppose the panels will cost about £500. The redecorating is hard to assess - it could be anything from £50 for some rattle cans to £2,000 for a lower end full car respray. The better you make it the more money you will get for the motor car, but don't spend too much: the law of diminishing returns will get you quite quickly with a 240. The motor cars top out at about £6,000 - but to get that they have to be immaculato. We saw a pristine 240 estate that had been hawked around for months at £10,000 sell at a C&C auction a few weeks ago for (from memory) about £6,000. [Afternote: I checked and that motor car made £6,800 at auction... but it has to be as good as this to make that sort of money: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1071 ].

To give you an idea, this 1987 240 with about 140,000 miles and MoT... sold for £880 last month:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...p2047675.l2557

This 1981 estate made £1180:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184944218...gAAOSwHmpg8A54

... as you may see, 240s don't sell for big bucks unless they are pristine, have full histories, the original paperwork and one of Mr Volvo's grandmother's teeth included - so don't go over the top with your spending.

I think if you get the motor car recommissioned, fix the rust underneath, do some redecorating and get it back to the UK with a new MoT then £2,000 would be a perfectly good target (perhaps be prepared to accept £1,750).

We are delighted you are going to save the motor car, we all like 240s and it would be really good if you posted some pictures and words as the project progresses. This forum is really useful for advice and support - just remember we are all on your side :-)

Good fortune,

Alan
The welding is no bigger than a golf ball ground back and I just happen to be a very good welder lol.
I've found some paperwork including PDI and first 3 service visits, 2 extra stamps in book and Volvo UK have confirmed its brilliant service history every year or 10k with last service at 75k, so whilst there's no 85k, 95k, 105k services recorded it has only done 111k to date.

Whilst I can paint 2k well, I won't be, it will go to my friend who restores old classics for a top quality paint job, he sells classics also and see's it at 7.5k top notch retail, for me it wasn't about the big numbers but I can't bare to see things go to scrap so easy.

On a positive note also the 940 170 turbo auto I wanted for myself has impeccable history and is barely overdue a service, so that's come together nicely especially given its a good one to start with.
The 480 coupe which is really solid underneath but shot arches and roof area that had 25k on the clock turns out to be more like 80k according to Volvo, but still, find another turbo auto...
So we are saving this one also.

Now its become less about the 300quid ferry cost to transport being an issue lol, they are all coming together nicely.
I will get them all rolling and road fit here, transport to the port and the cars can go over for £150 each with driver then driven to mot at portside
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 15:35   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I wish you luck as one Derbyshire man to another but I have a feeling your good intentions are going to be expensive.

Do some research before you put any money into this.
That is good, pragmatic advice Andrew.

I'm encouraging jasons to recommission the old 240 GTL and put it back on the road - and I applaud his decision to do so. I've also tried to be realistic - my head says there is no way he will make a cent out of this one, but my heart would like to see an old bus saved.

I still hope that jasons goes ahead with the project, does all the work, posts us updates every week, brings the car back to UK, gets it through the MoT test and sells it for two grand. I rather suspect he will take your advice and think about it first though - drats!

:-)
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 15:36   #16
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
The welding is no bigger than a golf ball ground back and I just happen to be a very good welder lol.
I've found some paperwork including PDI and first 3 service visits, 2 extra stamps in book and Volvo UK have confirmed its brilliant service history every year or 10k with last service at 75k, so whilst there's no 85k, 95k, 105k services recorded it has only done 111k to date.

Whilst I can paint 2k well, I won't be, it will go to my friend who restores old classics for a top quality paint job, he sells classics also and see's it at 7.5k top notch retail, for me it wasn't about the big numbers but I can't bare to see things go to scrap so easy.

On a positive note also the 940 170 turbo auto I wanted for myself has impeccable history and is barely overdue a service, so that's come together

nicely especially given its a good one to start with.
The 480 coupe which is really solid underneath but shot arches and roof area that had 25k on the clock turns out to be more like 80k according to Volvo, but still, find another turbo auto...

Now its become less about the 300quid ferry cost to transport being an issue lol, they are all coming together nicely.
I will get them all rolling and road fit here, transport to the port and the cars can go over for £150 each with driver then driven to mot at portside
I wish you well!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 15:38   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

On a positive note also the 940 170 turbo auto I wanted for myself has impeccable history and is barely overdue a service, so that's come together nicely especially given its a good one to start with.

Excellent! Go for it! We would really appreciate a few photos and words on how the project goes from time to time.

Good fortune.

Alan
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 07:41   #18
Othen
Premier Member

You may find this one interesting as a comparison jasons:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1167

It sold for just £1,427.60 yesterday.

In many ways it is similar to your motor car (the 240): it had been laid up for many years, only had 2 owners, had a FSH (up to the time it was laid up)... but then it has been recommissioned, it is a runner, has a title, has a MoT test and perhaps most importantly it is already in the UK.

Like Andrew said yesterday: think about this before you spend money because there is almost no margin in it for you. Yesterday you were talking about getting an expensive respray and targeting the very top of the market at £7,500 - whilst that is commendable I have to say there is nothing you could do with your motor car that would make it worth £7,500 (apart from taping a winning lotto ticket to it). If you tried that approach you would be certain to lose money.

I noticed from the 400 series section that the 480 needs new metal from the wheel arches upwards - including a new roof. If that is the case you have rightly concluded that one is for the scrapper.

I still hope you will go ahead and recommission the 240 - I don't think there is any margin whatsoever in it for you - but it would be an interesting project. Just don't sink too much money into it!

I hope we hear from you again jasons, but this may be another one of those euphoric good idea barn find projects that doesn't survive first contact, so we may not. Good fortune, whatever you decide to do.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 19th, 2021 at 07:42. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 10:02   #19
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
You may find this one interesting as a comparison jasons:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1167

It sold for just £1,427.60 yesterday.

In many ways it is similar to your motor car (the 240): it had been laid up for many years, only had 2 owners, had a FSH (up to the time it was laid up)... but then it has been recommissioned, it is a runner, has a title, has a MoT test and perhaps most importantly it is already in the UK.

Like Andrew said yesterday: think about this before you spend money because there is almost no margin in it for you. Yesterday you were talking about getting an expensive respray and targeting the very top of the market at £7,500 - whilst that is commendable I have to say there is nothing you could do with your motor car that would make it worth £7,500 (apart from taping a winning lotto ticket to it). If you tried that approach you would be certain to lose money.

I noticed from the 400 series section that the 480 needs new metal from the wheel arches upwards - including a new roof. If that is the case you have rightly concluded that one is for the scrapper.

I still hope you will go ahead and recommission the 240 - I don't think there is any margin whatsoever in it for you - but it would be an interesting project. Just don't sink too much money into it!

I hope we hear from you again jasons, but this may be another one of those euphoric good idea barn find projects that doesn't survive first contact, so we may not. Good fortune, whatever you decide to do.

Alan
yes, prices are all over the shop.
why is it that some can sell for 11k - now I know the seller of the 11k one and I know he gets the prices he asks and I also know why that one is worth much more than others, yet he often puts them out for 6k plus.
so the question is, why is it that some fetch such strong money whilst ebay specials fetch a pittance?
Obviously the traders know how to bs-shine a car and prepare it well, with good photo's and a good write up.
Is it simply because of the type of buyers and where they look?
do you think that 88k ebay one would have done a few thou at matthewsons auctions?
Do you think someone could have bought the 88k ebay one, given it a bs-shine (term they use in the trade for a buff that lasts just long enough to sell t lol) and stuck it through matthewsons for a couple of thou profit with a decent writeup?

probably not the place for this type of discussion in a tech section, but you see where I'm coming from.
I know of cars purchased for profit, for example a jag for 2k, given a paint job and sold on for 7.5k by a trader I know.
If you or me sold a classic from home we are not going to get a grand amount for it unless we live in a stately house, but a good classic car trader seems to fetch strong money, even on the most basic models.

Another example is a DC2 I co-own, we paid 3k for the car, its having full body resto right now, even though its in good used condition, the asking price by the restorer who will be selling it for us will be £5 shy of 20k, whereas if I sold it from my driveway at home I doubt I'd cover the cost of the body resto.

If the 240 genuinely is never going to fetch more than 1600quid unless a winning lottery ticket is strapped to it then I'd sooner chop the cat off it and weigh it in, but if it can retail at the number suggested then its worth restoring.
Given the examples above, am I way off with this one and should I just weigh it in?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 11:02   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
yes, prices are all over the shop.
why is it that some can sell for 11k - now I know the seller of the 11k one and I know he gets the prices he asks and I also know why that one is worth much more than others, yet he often puts them out for 6k plus.
so the question is, why is it that some fetch such strong money whilst ebay specials fetch a pittance?
Obviously the traders know how to bs-shine a car and prepare it well, with good photo's and a good write up.
Is it simply because of the type of buyers and where they look?
do you think that 88k ebay one would have done a few thou at matthewsons auctions?
Do you think someone could have bought the 88k ebay one, given it a bs-shine (term they use in the trade for a buff that lasts just long enough to sell t lol) and stuck it through matthewsons for a couple of thou profit with a decent writeup?

probably not the place for this type of discussion in a tech section, but you see where I'm coming from.
I know of cars purchased for profit, for example a jag for 2k, given a paint job and sold on for 7.5k by a trader I know.
If you or me sold a classic from home we are not going to get a grand amount for it unless we live in a stately house, but a good classic car trader seems to fetch strong money, even on the most basic models.

Another example is a DC2 I co-own, we paid 3k for the car, its having full body resto right now, even though its in good used condition, the asking price by the restorer who will be selling it for us will be £5 shy of 20k, whereas if I sold it from my driveway at home I doubt I'd cover the cost of the body resto.

If the 240 genuinely is never going to fetch more than 1600quid unless a winning lottery ticket is strapped to it then I'd sooner chop the cat off it and weigh it in, but if it can retail at the number suggested then its worth restoring.
Given the examples above, am I way off with this one and should I just weigh it in?
Good morn jasons,

Whilst I would really like to hear that you are going to recommission your 240 (we all like 240s), I have tried to be candid with you in the above. If you want to believe that 240s regularly sell for £6,000 and some sell for £11,000 then that is fine, but I would not be able to support that view. Here is a guide we have developed over the past few months from empirical evidence (in italics):
This was my own guide to 240 prices, cut and pasted from this thread a few weeks ago, and modified a bit after that:

As a guide I'd say (from what I've seen things apparently sell for - not ridiculous asking prices):

a. Rough cars (anything with barn find in the title, cars needing welding to the sills or rear arches, MoT failures): make less than £1000.

b. Middling cars: 1981 and later cars with 100-200,000 miles, a bit of history (maybe the past decade, the stuff before that is just for interest), a long MoT and no obvious welding or repairs needed: make £1,500 to £3,000.

c. Very good cars: 1981 and later cars with less than 100,000 miles, full history, long MoT and in really good condition make £3,000 to £4,500.

d. Historic cars (1980 and older) will generally make 50-100% more than the above categories.

The above is just my observation of the market, it will not stop people hawking around rough cars for £3,000, mediocre cars for £6,000 or very good cars for silly money. I don't think they often achieve their asking prices and just spend months or years on the market until the owners give up.
I have no axe to grind, I'm just trying to answer your question about what your 240 might be worth. If you want to believe you can make it worth £7,500 then that is up to you - but I did not tell you that.

The bit about dealers' prices is a valid one. We do see dealers trying to get top dollar for 240s like this one for sale in Wellingborough (near me):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403203467...MAAOSwq9ZgnV1M

... the dealer is asking £8,000 for it, but to my certain knowledge it has been on the market for over a year. For whatever reason the dealer has decided not to lower his price, but I would say the motor car is overpriced (by about £2,000) and that is the reason it has not sold.

You are right in that we often see dealers asking very high prices, but in our experience (on this forum) the evidence suggests they are never achieved. A good example was that pristine white estate I sent you a link to yesterday, a dealer had been hawking it at a shade under £10,000 for months and I suppose became impatient for his money and so entered it into a Car and Classic auction with a £9,000 guide price - as you well know the hammer fell at £6,800.

I'm not trying to persuade you of anything jasons, I have no interest in your motor car, I'm just telling you what we in the 200 section of this forum have worked out is the market value of the motor cars we are interested in. If you want to believe something else that will be fine with us. If you think you can polish in a £5,000 shine then by all means give it a go - but no one here will tell you that is possible.

Without having seen the motor car, I have told you that if you reconditioned the mechanical parts, fixed the rust underneath, did some redecoration, recovered the car to the UK, got a new V5 and a MoT test it would be worth something like £1,750 to £2,000 in the current market. Now, if you want to believe you can sell your motor car well above the market rate then that is entirely up to you, I will be in no way offended if you think my advice is wrong.

One piece of advice I would give you (if you decide to pursue the project) would be to establish your aim before you start spending money. I've seen many project budgets inflate out of control so the result far exceeds the project costs (again, you may take that or leave it, I will not be offended either way).

This has probably gone as far as it can without knowing a lot more about the motor car. I'll wish you good fortune, whatever you do.

Alan