Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 glt to save from scrap

Views : 6991

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2021, 10:54   #21
michaelgirraffe

some foto's of roof rack if you are scrapping would be good amigo
michaelgirraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 11:30   #22
Juular

Please don't scrap it, I am confident this can be sold.

I know of some places where posting this would get a result.

PM me the details if you are interested please.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 20:52   #23
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Please don't scrap it, I am confident this can be sold.

I know of some places where posting this would get a result.

PM me the details if you are interested please.
Hi, between the wind and rain I am hoping to get it running, and the time on it allows me to make an assessment this end but my hopes are to get it running then send it back to the UK for Martin who restores classics to make the decision to restore or move on.
Scrapping it is a last option because the floor and chassis is so solid, all 3 of the Volvo's I bought appeared to have been wax oiled 20 years ago.

So far the nsf door is for replacing and the lip at the bottom of the boot by the trim needs new panels welding in, the arches have started but early enough to catch, tbh compared to many the chassis is really good below the wheel centre line.

I will keep posted bits of progress, it may end up being a cheapie for the right person if Martin decides against full resto. - that's his shout because he needs to be confident that his time pays dividends and I'm Jury's out on the values atm.

Being frank the 240 does nothing for me unless its a saloon with leather and all the gadgets, whereas the 940 in its gorgeous Blackberry wine colour and black leather floats my boat lol
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 06:14   #24
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm so sorry not to be the bearer of good news. We all hate seeing 240s die, but I really can't see this one is worth recovering.

Here is a similar motor car on eBay here in the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185112215...53.m1438.l2649

... it is a bit rough, but has a title, a long MoT, the correct alloy wheels and is a driver. I'll be a bit surprised if bidding gets much over a grand, but why not watch the auction (another 6 days) to give yourself an idea what your motor car might be worth as a runner with a title, MoT and the right wheels - then subtract a grand for shipping and it will tell you what your motor car is worth?

Very sadly I have to agree with you. There is nothing you could do to this car that would ever make it worth £10,000, even if you fixed all the faults, got it resprayed, shipped it to the UK and got it MoT tested with a title it would probably only make £3,000.

Good fortune,

Alan
I read in your other thread that you had got the old bus going jasons - well done indeed.

The motor car I suggested you follow (in the link above) to give you an idea of the market sold for £1,505 just a few days ago, which was spot on the guide's prediction. Don't take offence, I have no axe to grind, but you may draw your own conclusions regarding the value of your motor car from that outcome.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 27th, 2021 at 06:23. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 10:21   #25
jasons

Quote:
I read in your other thread that you had got the old bus going jasons - well done indeed.

The motor car I suggested you follow (in the link above) to give you an idea of the market sold for £1,505 just a few days ago, which was spot on the guide's prediction. Don't take offence, I have no axe to grind, but you may draw your own conclusions regarding the value of your motor car from that outcome.

Good fortune,

Alan
not at all, I'm very open minded on the end price atm, which is why my attention is with the 940 turbo right now.

1500 for that shines hope on mine, whilst mine isn't the glt with leather or alloys nor the 2.3 it is a whole lot nicer than that one in every way apart from mine really wanting a new nsf door because in my mind its not worth repairing if we can find a blue door for 100quid or so. Mine is the 117bhp version if that makes any odds. - I'd have thought all the non turbo's are pretty slow?

In a week or so I will strip down all the brakes, refurb the calipers, new discs & pads, cambelt, water pump, rad was new in 2017, aux belts, oils and filters incl atf fluids, brake fluids, pas fluids etc, basically get it up to scratch mechanically then look for a door and paint the side.

There certainly are lots of budget bangers out there, with no real service or mechanical info which makes them jalopy money in my mind, unless people are daft enough to wade in and buy a car not knowing what mechanical condition its in? - for me, the full detailed history outlining mechanical well being is really important and adds value.

Anyway, these two are projects I'm enjoying passing my time on right now, life is a journey that must be enjoyed. The 940 will run E85 fuel at 65p per litre and around 200bhp which will make it a real cheap to run car for me.

The more I look at that ebay one the more I think its a shed lol.
Mot history indicated it needs 4 tyres and the brakes doing all round as well as both sills replacing or welding, now its upside is its MOT'd whereas mine isn't, but given that mine wasn't worth the ferry cost to get it back to the UK it gives me some hope that getting mine going well is the right move rather than scrapping it.
I don't really want to compare mine with that because its like apples and pears, wheras mine is solid its not been MOT'd for ages, so difficult to draw a comparison other than I will say this "If that is worth 1500quid, then mine is worth making good"

I suppose the question is, where would you value the ebay one if it was a minter needing nothing doing cosmetic or mechanically, with a history file?

Last edited by jasons; Oct 27th, 2021 at 10:34.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 10:50   #26
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
not at all, I'm very open minded on the end price atm, which is why my attention is with the 940 turbo right now.

1500 for that shines hope on mine, whilst mine isn't the glt with leather or alloys nor the 2.3 it is a whole lot nicer than that one in every way apart from mine really wanting a new nsf door because in my mind its not worth repairing if we can find a blue door for 100quid or so. Mine is the 117bhp version if that makes any odds. - I'd have thought all the non turbo's are pretty slow?

In a week or so I will strip down all the brakes, refurb the calipers, new discs & pads, cambelt, water pump, rad was new in 2017, aux belts, oils and filters incl atf fluids, brake fluids, pas fluids etc, basically get it up to scratch mechanically then look for a door and paint the side.

There certainly are lots of budget bangers out there, with no real service or mechanical info which makes them jalopy money in my mind, unless people are daft enough to wade in and buy a car not knowing what mechanical condition its in? - for me, the full detailed history outlining mechanical well being is really important and adds value.

Anyway, these two are projects I'm enjoying passing my time on right now, life is a journey that must be enjoyed. The 940 will run E85 fuel at 65p per litre and around 200bhp which will make it a real cheap to run car for me.

The more I look at that ebay one the more I think its a shed lol.
Mot history indicated it needs 4 tyres and the brakes doing all round as well as both sills replacing or welding, now its upside is its MOT'd whereas mine isn't, but given that mine wasn't worth the ferry cost to get it back to the UK it gives me some hope that getting mine going well is the right move rather than scrapping it.
I don't really want to compare mine with that because its like apples and pears, wheras mine is solid its not been MOT'd for ages, so difficult to draw a comparison other than I will say this "If that is worth 1500quid, then mine is worth making good"

I suppose the question is, where would you value the ebay one if it was a minter needing nothing doing cosmetic or mechanically, with a history file?
Hang on, I thought your motor car was a GLT (as per the title of this thread)?

Alan
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 14:43   #27
jasons

Quote:
Hang on, I thought your motor car was a GLT (as per the title of this thread)?

Alan
no, I got the years mixed up originally and thought it was a 92 model, rather the 480 was 92.

It ended up mine is a 90 H reg, 125k with really good history in earlier years, but only a GL I think, fromt electric windows, vulgarlour upholstery wheel trims.

hope yu're not about to say the gl is worth 1499 less than a glt lol

Last edited by jasons; Oct 27th, 2021 at 14:45.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 20:33   #28
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
no, I got the years mixed up originally and thought it was a 92 model, rather the 480 was 92.

It ended up mine is a 90 H reg, 125k with really good history in earlier years, but only a GL I think, fromt electric windows, vulgarlour upholstery wheel trims.

hope yu're not about to say the gl is worth 1499 less than a glt lol
Hi,

I wouldn’t have thought a GL was particularly worth less than a GLT, when it comes to 30 year old motor cars condition and provenance matter much more at at that age.

I’m trying to give you an idea of the value of your motor car, but the goalposts keep moving. So, what you have now is a 1990 240 GL estate with 125,000 miles, no current title, no service history after 70,000 miles, a 10 year gap in its provenance, a door damaged beyond use, rust in the sills, rear wheel arches and under the tailgate, in need of extensive recommissioning, transporting back to the UK and getting through the MoT test. I’m not going out of my way to denigrate the value of your motor car jasons, just putting everything into perspective.

I’d love to be able to tell you that your motor car will be worth £5,000 if you recommission it, weld on a couple of patches, ship it back to UK and get it MoT tested with a shiny new V5, but I don’t think it will be.

It is good that you are recommissioning the 240. If you get it back to the UK with a V5 and a MoT you should be able to get around £2,000 for it (we keep going round this buoy). Why not post a few photos showing how good the car is?

Anyway, good fortune with the car, well done for getting it going and recommissioning it. We really would be interested to see some photos and read some words about the project - we really like 200 series motor cars here.

I don’t know much about 900 series motor cars (there is another section of the forum for them), but I did read up about running engines on E85.

It looks like your 900 series motor car will use about 30-35% more fuel, but at 65 cents/litre that will still be cheaper than using gas. I’m sure the chaps in the 900 series section would really appreciate a write up on the conversion.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 06:01   #29
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi,

I wouldn’t have thought a GL was particularly worth less than a GLT, when it comes to 30 year old motor cars condition and provenance matter much more at at that age.

I’m trying to give you an idea of the value of your motor car, but the goalposts keep moving. So, what you have now is a 1990 240 GL estate with 125,000 miles, no current title, no service history after 70,000 miles, a 10 year gap in its provenance, a door damaged beyond use, rust in the sills, rear wheel arches and under the tailgate, in need of extensive recommissioning, transporting back to the UK and getting through the MoT test. I’m not going out of my way to denigrate the value of your motor car jasons, just putting everything into perspective.

I’d love to be able to tell you that your motor car will be worth £5,000 if you recommission it, weld on a couple of patches, ship it back to UK and get it MoT tested with a shiny new V5, but I don’t think it will be.

It is good that you are recommissioning the 240. If you get it back to the UK with a V5 and a MoT you should be able to get around £2,000 for it (we keep going round this buoy). Why not post a few photos showing how good the car is?

Anyway, good fortune with the car, well done for getting it going and recommissioning it. We really would be interested to see some photos and read some words about the project - we really like 200 series motor cars here.

I don’t know much about 900 series motor cars (there is another section of the forum for them), but I did read up about running engines on E85.

It looks like your 900 series motor car will use about 30-35% more fuel, but at 65 cents/litre that will still be cheaper than using gas. I’m sure the chaps in the 900 series section would really appreciate a write up on the conversion.

Good fortune,

Alan
PS. Here is the reference I'd used for finding out about running a 940 on E85:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061

... for some reason the forum wouldn't allow me to include in in the post above.

This may be some use to you jasons... it seems very well informed indeed.

My word gas is expensive in Sweden! 98 octane gasoline: $2.32/L - and that was in 2006!
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 10:31   #30
volvomania

What about the pics?
And what can you tell me more about the 480?
It would still be a 700 km drive each way ....

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu
volvomania is offline   Reply With Quote