Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2022 XC90 R-Design Pro

Views : 2746

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2021, 13:01   #1
volvocamper
Master Member

Default 2022 XC90 R-Design Pro

I have recently ordered a replacement for my 2018 R-Design Pro - a 22 model XC90 R-Design Pro B5 diesel to be delivered March 22. Off from work this week so studying the specs vv carefully and seems i will gain Apple CarPlay which i did not spec in my 2018 model + Harman Kardon hi-fi and the HUD which are all good BUT, looks like i will lose my lovely leather rimmed steering wheel (with gear change paddles) for a ‘leather free’ wheel without paddles. Not bothered about the paddles as never used them but am not happy losing the leather wheel. Can anyone confirm my suspicions and able to give an opinion on the ‘leather-free’ steering wheel pls.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 20:39   #2
Director76
Master Member

The reference to ‘tailored’ steering wheel suggests to me that it will be the same faux leather as the ‘tailored’ dash and door tops.

You’ll find that there is a lot more leatherette in the cabin in your next one compared to your current one, for example the armrest and transmission tunnel trim, plus more on the rear seats.

Lots of cost cutting in evidence from MY18 to current, I did a post on it shortly after our second T8 arrived in Feb 21…at least they have put the A pillar ticket holder back…removing that was tight!!!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 22:30   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

More likely its because leather is one of the many things in short supply, rather than any intention to cost cut. There is a worldwide shortage, and hide prices have more than doubled since last year.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 08:59   #4
MrM83

Thanks for the link, I found it an interesting and useful video given it doesn’t sound like dealers will get any MY22 demos in for some time.
MrM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 09:17   #5
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
The reference to ‘tailored’ steering wheel suggests to me that it will be the same faux leather as the ‘tailored’ dash and door tops.

You’ll find that there is a lot more leatherette in the cabin in your next one compared to your current one, for example the armrest and transmission tunnel trim, plus more on the rear seats.

Lots of cost cutting in evidence from MY18 to current, I did a post on it shortly after our second T8 arrived in Feb 21…at least they have put the A pillar ticket holder back…removing that was tight!!!
Hi D76, seems we are following again, we both came from Touareg’s to xc90 you about 6 months before me and you and i are remaining loyal for a 2nd time. I have really enjoyed my time with the xc90 and although a new model Touareg was vv similar cost and i am sure very good indeed, i still prefer the all round look of the xc90 hence my decision to have another. It seems the leather trimmed R-Design steering wheel switched to ‘tailored’ at same time as the front grille lost its satin silver surround and its gear change paddles - from looking on line i thought it was before your 21.5 MY. It is a real game-changer for me and may have to look closer at an Inscription Pro which does still have leather wheel. That said surely Volvo would not fit a steering wheel on a £70k car that was not nice to use would they? And have heard no moans elsewhere on here.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 11:58   #6
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Hi D76, seems we are following again, we both came from Touareg’s to xc90 you about 6 months before me and you and i are remaining loyal for a 2nd time. I have really enjoyed my time with the xc90 and although a new model Touareg was vv similar cost and i am sure very good indeed, i still prefer the all round look of the xc90 hence my decision to have another. It seems the leather trimmed R-Design steering wheel switched to ‘tailored’ at same time as the front grille lost its satin silver surround and its gear change paddles - from looking on line i thought it was before your 21.5 MY. It is a real game-changer for me and may have to look closer at an Inscription Pro which does still have leather wheel. That said surely Volvo would not fit a steering wheel on a £70k car that was not nice to use would they? And have heard no moans elsewhere on here.
Indeed we have - second XC90 was a no brainier for us as we need the space and 7 seats and PHEV, so we didn’t even look at anything else.

I did notice our new MY21.5 steering wheel lost the RD badge and no longer had the nice perforated leather panels. As to whether it’s real leather or tailored I can’t say I have noticed. I’ll go and have another look! I did notice the armrest being fake leather immediately

D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 14:28   #7
Dohnut

Hello, new here and apologies for the slight thread-jack but I am looking at ordering a new XC90 soon. Can I ask what lead time you’ve been given for delivery?

Thanks
Dohnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:56   #8
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Hello, new here and apologies for the slight thread-jack but I am looking at ordering a new XC90 soon. Can I ask what lead time you’ve been given for delivery?

Thanks
I am told Feb/early Mar delivery. Ordered last week.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:59   #9
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Indeed we have - second XC90 was a no brainier for us as we need the space and 7 seats and PHEV, so we didn’t even look at anything else.

I did notice our new MY21.5 steering wheel lost the RD badge and no longer had the nice perforated leather panels. As to whether it’s real leather or tailored I can’t say I have noticed. I’ll go and have another look! I did notice the armrest being fake leather immediately

D76
Ah well I think that tells its own story then D76, it will be tailored and you could not tell the difference so perhaps neither would I. That said I am now looking at poss switching to Inscription Pro instead.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 16:10   #10
Lozzingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Ah well I think that tells its own story then D76, it will be tailored and you could not tell the difference so perhaps neither would I. That said I am now looking at poss switching to Inscription Pro instead.
I have recently changed from MY17 R Design (without heated steering wheel) to a MY22 R Design T8 with heated steering wheel. I'm not sure if it's the heated part that makes ours less leather, or MY22 cost/environment/random volvo decision that has changed, but the old was nicer. However, I don't really notice it and it doesn't bother me per se.
What does annoy me is the drive mode select being a few swipes on the screen which i think is a safety issue!
Also the horn is rubbish compared to MY17 - that was amazing!
I've not tried Inscription wheels so can't comment on the Pro you're considering.
Ex:MY22 XC90 T8 R Design-Grey
Ex:MY17 XC90 D5 PP -Grey
Lozzingers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lozzingers For This Useful Post: